The Athletic: Bills QB room article - includes AFC East QB shade

stevewin

Thanks so much for posting this. Really, really good and insightful read. 

I had no idea how tight Allen, Keenum and Barkley are. Or that Barkley and his wife cried tears of joy to be back with Buffalo and only make $358K on our practice squad as opposed to $1.2 million minimum as an active roster player somewhere else.

To hear Keenum says this is the best QB room he's ever been a part of carries a lot of weight. Wonderful to hear. And about how Case and Matt are at peace with being backups to Josh.

This is the kind of writing I wish Buffalo press would do. Instead, it's just a few quotes from post-game interviews spun into articles that show no extra insight for anyone who saw the post-game interview. I, as a regular fan, could do that.

Kalyn Kahler, kudos. You dug deeper and got something fresh and interesting.

13 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

He had an in with the Bills. If money is no issue, it's a simple assumption that he'd stay where he's comfortable, where is family is comfortable, and where their friends are. 

To just assume he's exaggerating is so WEO.

I have no doubt he like Buffalo and the Bills.  An "in" would seem to be a place on the roster, which he didn't have. 

If you look at this simply--the guy couldn't stay on 3 PS's last year.  (not great teams either).  Who do you think offered him a #2/roster spot after their preseason ended last year?  It just doesn't make sense.  In fact, the article clearly states that Josh asked Beane to sign Barkley "as a favor".  When Beane cut him I'm sure Josh said "can't you put him on the PS just to hang out?", or something along those lines. 

That's not describing  a guy hanging up on multiple GM's offering roster spots as a backup QB.  lol, come on!

13 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

I assume some teams may have approached him to be the back up Quarterback between him leaving the Falcons in January, and signing for the Bills (again) in March?

As a weird aside, a year ago tomorrow he was waived by the Panthers.

And he turned them down last winter, when he had no idea if he would play again?  And then turned them down again on Aug 30th when the Bills cut him?

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I have no doubt he like Buffalo and the Bills.  An "in" would seem to be a place on the roster, which he didn't have. 

If you look at this simply--the guy couldn't stay on 3 PS's last year.  (not great teams either).  Who do you think offered him a #2/roster spot after their preseason ended last year?  It just doesn't make sense.  In fact, the article clearly states that Josh asked Beane to sign Barkley "as a favor".  When Beane cut him I'm sure Josh said "can't you put him on the PS just to hang out?", or something along those lines. 

That's not describing  a guy hanging up on multiple GM's offering roster spots as a backup QB.  lol, come on!

And he turned them down last winter, when he had no idea if he would play again?  And then turned them down again on Aug 30th when the Bills cut him?

I doubt he got any offers on 30th August - and even if he did I'm pretty sure he would have been tipped the wink that we were going to bring him straight back.

As for the gap between January and March, he's made his money and knows his place in the NFL. He knows he won't be a starter and is the cash difference that big a deal? He was probably in contact with Josh even after last season's cut, who told him he wanted him to return. So he was patient and played the long game to end up in a QB room he liked with a number one he got on well with.

Maybe it happened like this, maybe not. I'm not sure why it's important either way whether he got offers or not. From memory reading it last night, he said he did. Fair enough.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.