The Athletic: Bills QB room article - includes AFC East QB shade

stevewin

Great article.   Thanks.  And thanks to whoever posted it originally.

You know what I find interesting about this?   It's the name not mentioned, but the name that deserves some of the credit:  Sean McDermott.

Is it a surprise to anyone that this is the QB room on the team that's led by a guy who says it's ALL about teamwork, about doing this together, about doing this for your teammates?   Is it a surprise that it's a McDermott team where the practice squad QB says he feels like he's important, like his opinion matters?  

It's quite cool that one of the reasons the QB room is so good is that the two backups have absolutely no thought whatsoever that they might be as good as the starter.   To have discord in a Josh Allen QB room, Justin Herbert would have to be one of the backups.  Or Mahomes. 

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Barkley claims in the article that he had a few offers. Could be lying, of course, but it seems sort of a silly thing to lie about.

He's already been with 9 teams (2 of them twice) in the NFL.

Bills cut Barkley 8/30 and resigned him 8/31....I can't imagine offers were pouring in overnight.

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Bills cut Barkley 8/30 and resigned him 8/31....I can't imagine offers were pouring in overnight.

I'm just saying...if that is your contention, then Barkley must be lying.

Just now, Logic said:

I'm just saying...if that is your contention, then Barkley must be lying.

I'm assuming he's stretching the truth if he's claiming he got multiple active roster offers in the fraction of a day between his release and resigning.

He hasn't been on one in 2 years--last year he was on 3 different practice squads.  Does his claim make any sense to you?  What QB would pass up the money and a chance to play during the season.... to hang out in the Bills QB room and locker room?

Come on...

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm assuming he's stretching the truth if he's claiming he got multiple active roster offers in the fraction of a day between his release and resigning.

He hasn't been on one in 2 years--last year he was on 3 different practice squads.  Does his claim make any sense to you?  What QB would pass up the money and a chance to play during the season.... to hang out in the Bills QB room and locker room?

Come on...

One who has been on 10 different teams in in his NFL career and is sick of moving around? One whose wife cried tears of joy when he re-signed with Buffalo? One who says he loves Brady and Dorsey and that Allen is his best friend and that he loves coming to work every day? One who, at this stage in his life, ultimately values happiness and living situation over extra money?

Look, you may be right. Or not. Guess we'll never know.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Logic said:

One who has been on 10 different teams in in his NFL career and is sick of moving around? One whose wife cried tears of joy when he re-signed with Buffalo? One who says he loves Brady and Dorsey and that Allen is his best friend and that he loves coming to work every day? One who, at this stage in his life, ultimately values happiness and living situation over extra money?

I think its great about Barkley..I am accepting what he says .. agree totally! .

Edited by dwight in philly

2 hours ago, Logic said:

There's no doubt he's happy to be here.

But I don't believe any NFL would turn down "multiple offers" to be on a roster as backup QB (all that came in one night, no less), and instead choose to be on his 4th PS in 12 months. 

• Eyeroll 1

Must be something that makes having a great sense of humor go well with being a journeyman QB.  Case is right there with Fits with the self deprecating jokes.  The "fan" at training camp wanting autographs, the Bills store employee trying to sell the Keenum jersey and now the "nothing but a jockstrap on at walkthrough."  Great humor~superior intelligence~emotionally secure~lower ego = can play in the NFL for a long time.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

There's no doubt he's happy to be here.

But I don't believe any NFL would turn down "multiple offers" to be on a roster as backup QB (all that came in one night, no less), and instead choose to be on his 4th PS in 12 months. 

Why do you think offers had to come in only after he was officially cut? We all know agents and teams talk outside of that time frame.

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Why do you think offers had to come in only after he was officially cut? We all know agents and teams talk outside of that time frame.

you think he was sitting as Bills QB #3 in camp with pocket offers as a #2 for multiple teams?  He was projected as a cut in July.  If he had such offers ready and waiting, he would have signed with one of them on the 30th as soon as he was cut.

Simple.

8 hours ago, MJS said:

Nobody will have anything negative to say about Josh if it gets around what he insinuated about the AFC East QB's. He was just pointing out the truth. The rest of the league knows it too.

Zach Wilson has been a disaster. Mac Jones is a dirty cry baby who is quickly gaining a bad reputation in the league, not to mention he is a poor QB. Tua is decent, but has scrambled brains and is capped by hus lack of physical traits. Seems like a perfect incentive for an edge rusher to come to Buffalo.

He never said anything negative.

Another thought may just be that all three of those QBs get a lot of media attention; It stands to reason so would the guy planting them on a pass rush.

If Von likes the spotlight.

This is from an article on the Athletic (paywall). Josh told Beane he would help him recruit Von if the GM would bring back Matt Barkley.

Josh then sent Von a three-line text detailed in this excerpt:

“Together from their golf cart, Allen and Barkley held up their end of the bargain (though at the time, Barkley had no idea Allen had mentioned him to Beane). “I think Von has a couple numbers, so we were trying to figure out which one to call,” Barkley said. “We kept getting a dead ringtone.”

When they finally got to him, Barkley says Allen also sent Miller a three-line text that read:

Zach Wilson

Tua Tagovailoa

Mac Jones

“You get to play these guys six times a year,” Barkley said. “Have at it. Why would you not want to come? I don’t know if that sold him or not, but it was a heavy pitch.”

Not sure that Josh is happy that Barkley spilled the beans on his lack of respect for his AFC East peers, but it’s a pretty funny sales pitch.

Here’s the link to the full article:

https://theathletic.com/4015953/2022/12/27/bills-quarterback-room-josh-allen-case-keenum-matt-barkley/

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

you think he was sitting as Bills QB #3 in camp with pocket offers as a #2 for multiple teams?  He was projected as a cut in July.  If he had such offers ready and waiting, he would have signed with one of them on the 30th as soon as he was cut.

Simple.

He had an in with the Bills. If money is no issue, it's a simple assumption that he'd stay where he's comfortable, where is family is comfortable, and where their friends are. 

To just assume he's exaggerating is so WEO.

5 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Great article.   Thanks.  And thanks to whoever posted it originally.

You know what I find interesting about this?   It's the name not mentioned, but the name that deserves some of the credit:  Sean McDermott.

Is it a surprise to anyone that this is the QB room on the team that's led by a guy who says it's ALL about teamwork, about doing this together, about doing this for your teammates?   Is it a surprise that it's a McDermott team where the practice squad QB says he feels like he's important, like his opinion matters?  

It's quite cool that one of the reasons the QB room is so good is that the two backups have absolutely no thought whatsoever that they might be as good as the starter.   To have discord in a Josh Allen QB room, Justin Herbert would have to be one of the backups.  Or Mahomes. 

So well put.  McDermott has changed the culture of this team;  the environment at OBD earlier with Ryan and Maronne was very toxic.  QBs such as Taylor and Manuel got a very raw deal and never were able to settle in to play the most important position. 

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I assume some teams may have approached him to be the back up Quarterback between him leaving the Falcons in January, and signing for the Bills (again) in March?

As a weird aside, a year ago tomorrow he was waived by the Panthers.

Edited by UKBillFan

6 hours ago, Logic said:

I agree with you.  Plus Barkley has earned around $15M and seems wise enough to invest his money and not blow it.  Once you are set financially, the next thing is doing something you love, and being a Bill is something he and his family love.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.