Week 17: Bills at Bengals on MNF

Beck Water

23 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

Bengals dont have the Jets personnel on defense. Not even close.

I was thinking the same. That cover 1 video above is very interesting. Earlier I mentioned that I thought the Bengals would play 2 deep safeties all game, but it's obvious they don't like to do that. Very interesting because the Bills are very good at play action passes. If that is how Cincy wants to play defense, they are in for a very rude awakening. They do not want to leave a WR with single coverage against the Bills. Josh is excellent at finding that receiver. No wonder Cincy's pass defense is so pedestrian.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I will go deeper.  Boyd and Mixon are the oldest Bengals.  They know that the way they have played wont cut it.  In the mist of a winning streak and national attention they are hoping there teammates step up.

Agreed, it seems very planned/intentional.

I will go deeper.  Boyd and Mixon are the oldest Bengals.  They know that the way they have played wont cut it.  In the mist of a winning streak and national attention they are hoping there teammates step up.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, nbbillsfan said:

I’m not sure......do you agree or not??😀

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, chongli said:

I really don’t mind Nick I’m most things but this dude just does not like Allen and the bills

hes scared of them and it shows.  He would be the same way (possibly next year) towards the bengals but they beat his chiefs lol

ita almost comical his takes are so bad 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

Ok, I’ll trust that’s what “they” meant. Thanks though ….

there have been plenty of examples to correct this week, you just chose the wrong one. 

Being a detective in the IAGD (internal affairs grammar dept) is a gritty job, but someone has to keep a check on the grammar police. 

Also, i am vastly under qualified as my grammar is average. So no hard feelings. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nineforty said:

there have been plenty of examples to correct this week, you just chose the wrong one. 

Being a detective in the IAGD (internal affairs grammar dept) is a gritty job, but someone has to keep a check on the grammar police. 

Also, i am vastly under qualified as my grammar is average. So no hard feelings. 

IAGD …. I like it, it has a nice ring to it!

Happy New Year and GO BILL’S …!!!!

j/k …. BILLS !!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I think Bengals will be a bit better against the run, but Bills can certainly do it. Not sure why he woukld say "no chance" 

Since DJ Reader returned Week 11, the Bengals have held 4 of the 6 teams they faced to <100 yds rushing.

Only the Chiefs managed a better-than-league-average 138 yds rushing.

I'm not sure exactly what Simms line of thought is.  Certainly I could buy that the Bills are unlikely to run over the Bengals as they just ran over the Bears, for 254 yds of which only 41 belonged to Josh Allen.  He may be keeping to his opinion that the Bills have no running game apart from Josh Allen.  But Allen's rush yards count!

League average rushing is 120.8 Y/G.  The Bills have rushed for more than that in 8 of their last 9 games.  They don't get to discount Josh Allen's yards, he's part of the Bills rushing game, but his contribution to it has varied, from a low of 7 yards (!) against the Browns in Detroit (171 rush yards total) to a highs of 86 and 84 yds (against the Jets and Minnesota).

Anyway, the team that managed to run against the Bengals + Reader was Kansas City, where obviously they needed to also defend a vigorous passing attack (which they held to 211 yds).  And pundits can say all they like about the Bills passing offense stalling out, but we still have a top-10 passing offense by every metric I know to look at (no Frankenstats) - #6 by NY/A while the Bengals are #9. 

For people who follow the Bills, and know the history of Josh's UCL sprain and the weather the Bills have been playing in (like us), it seems fairly plausible to believe that the Bengals can squash our run game completely if they try - but then they are likely to leave something open in the passing game. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Not so sure I agree totally. I think the Jets probably have a more complete D due to their boundary corners. Bengals D is legit. 

Bengals have a good D and a top-notch DC who is good at making adjustments.

Bengals D is overall #8.  Jets is #4.  (Bills are #2)

Jets D is #5 for pass NY/A given up.  Bengals D is #19. (Bills are # 8, with rounding, tied for #6)

Jets D is #6 for rush Y/A given up (with rounding, tied for #4).  Bengals are #9, with rounding tied for #8.  (Bills are #14, with rounding tied for #11)

I don't quite "get" the narrative that the Bills D is gonna get boat raced, is weak against the pass, etc etc.  To read some of the stuff, you'd think the Bills overall have a mediocre D instead of a top D. 

And yeah, maybe the Bengals can make an argument for "our D is better now because we got DJ Reader back" but then, do the Bills get to claim a mulligan for the games they played without Poyer or Milano? 

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Since DJ Reader returned Week 11, the Bengals have held 4 of the 6 teams they faced to <100 yds rushing.

Only the Chiefs managed a better-than-league-average 138 yds rushing.

I'm not sure exactly what Simms line of thought is.  Certainly I could buy that the Bills are unlikely to run over the Bengals as they just ran over the Bears, for 254 yds of which only 41 belonged to Josh Allen.  He may be keeping to his opinion that the Bills have no running game apart from Josh Allen.  But Allen's rush yards count!

League average rushing is 120.8 Y/G.  The Bills have rushed for more than that in 8 of their last 9 games.  They don't get to discount Josh Allen's yards, he's part of the Bills rushing game, but his contribution to it has varied, from a low of 7 yards (!) against the Browns in Detroit (171 rush yards total) to a highs of 86 and 84 yds (against the Jets and Minnesota).

Anyway, the team that managed to run against the Bengals + Reader was Kansas City, where obviously they needed to also defend a vigorous passing attack (which they held to 211 yds).  And pundits can say all they like about the Bills passing offense stalling out, but we still have a top-10 passing offense by every metric I know to look at (no Frankenstats) - #6 by NY/A while the Bengals are #9. 

For people who follow the Bills, and know the history of Josh's UCL sprain and the weather the Bills have been playing in (like us), it seems fairly plausible to believe that the Bengals can squash our run game completely if they try - but then they are likely to leave something open in the passing game. 

Yeah Bengals D is pretty good against the run for sure. Bills just need to do enough the D has to think. I think the last couple games on film alone is enough they have to have some respect at least anyways

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Did you read the article in the Athletic about Cincy’s D Cord? The article starts w a quote from Anarumo about Josh’s last pass against the Jets in the first game. Made me think they are studying what the Jets did, since the Jets statistically had the best success against the Bills.

I do agree that the Bills and Josh made some mistakes they wish they could have back. 

No I didn't.  Got a linky?

5 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Yeah Bengals D is pretty good against the run for sure. Bills just need to do enough the D has to think. I think the last couple games on film alone is enough they have to have some respect at least anyways

No way we are running straight into the teeth of that front. Play action passes over the middle intermediate depth. Greg Cosell says Knox is the man to watch. I think Diggs may have a big game. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

This is why I can’t stand burrow and the bengals. Their arrogance knows no bounds. 

the defense should play the best game of their life. 

Chris simms ripped on treday (and run game), mixon ripped on the linebackers, and Boyd called the defense ‘basic’

Did they not see what happened to Mike white? 

Cant stand Burrow?   He was gushing compliments about the Bills.  Where does this narrative come from?
Joe and Josh are friends, Joe said Josh does things and makes throws that NOBODY else can.
Mixon also said the Bills were the best competition, as did Chase & Higgins.  Mison said they have to go thru Buffalo to win it all.
Boyd said "basic D" as compared to some crazy exotic schemes Bengals have played against other teams - he said the Bills didnt have to do anything complicated because the players were so good.
Joe Burrow is not Mike White.

Not sure why so many Bills fans are being this fragile?

7 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

No way we are running straight into the teeth of that front. Play action passes over the middle intermediate depth. Greg Cosell says Knox is the man to watch. I think Diggs may have a big game. 

You can't play action pass when you're not running the ball. That's why I said Bills just need to run the ball well enough to open those pass plays. 

This has been such a crazy week for the Bills. They are being trash talked more than I've ever seen by an opponent. The media has seemed to turn in them (not that anyone really cares). Here's my tinfoil hat thoughts. Bangles are talking trash in attempt to get the Bills to play heated. This is all in my head but I feel like when the Bills get all scrappy, they play sloppy and get themselves in situations where flags are thrown. Im expecting to see a fired up Bills team. I just hope it's a Smart Bills team. Ok Hat removed. 

Edited by Goin Breakdown

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.