Week 17: Bills at Bengals on MNF

Beck Water

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

The issue I see is that the Bengals might have the best skill players in the NFL as a whole and yet the Bills are ahead of them offensively in pretty much every metric other than pass yards(which likely is due to weather conditions playing a large factor lately).  The Bengals go cold for long stretches and always seem to leave you feeling they should be better than they actually are for the talent they have on offense. The difference? Josh Allen.

Yes, and is this not really the more essential point than how many catches and yards the Bengals receivers have over how many less games?   The Bills are the better team by virtually every objective measure, and have in my opinion at least, by far the better QB.  

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I pointed out that the Bengals have put those numbers up in a combined roughly 250ish less snaps than the Bills trio has, which is the equivalent of about 4 full games worth of snaps.

Its a valid point, but in my opinion, it is about overall production at the end of the day.  The Bills offense has been more productive overall YTD.  They are talented.  Great.  11/4 vs 12/3. 11/5 vs 13/3 come Tuesday morning.  

6 hours ago, balln said:

I’m expecting them against elite qb (burrow) to get boat raced on D

Tell me then, if the Bills D gets beaten so bad, right from the start, how many points does the Bengals O score?

In other words, what is going to be the reality of your "boat raced" hot take in points?

I mean the Burrows/Allen conversation is valid. Mahomes - Burrow - Allen are the top 3 QBs in the league and everyone has an opinion who is better. 

I will say that not enough is said about the Bills defense in this one. It will be the best the Bengals have played all year. It is also designed to combat exactly what the Bengals are good at. If the Bengals can't run the ball they may be in trouble

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

LOL you do know that one reason the OL hustles at high speed to wherever Josh just got tackled is that he's apparently a World-Champion Junk Talker and they need to protect him from himself?

Josh has a different public persona than Joe Burrow, they're different people who had a different path - Burrow through two Big Time programs and a national championship, one through zero scholarship offers out of high school, one Division 1 offer after JC, and the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl as his biggest stage.  It's not like Burrow is all "cocky ass" either:

https://www.bengals.com/video/joe-burrow-bengals-bills-week-17-press-conference

About a minute in, he says he's hung out quite a bit with Josh Allen, they're friends. Says it's no secret why Josh is so good, he's fun to watch.  He runs around and makes plays, makes throws nobody else can make, he's an exciting player, a great player, and it's going to be fun to go against him.  He's asked "what do you like about him, why do you hang around with him?"  He says (Allen's) just fun to be around, he's an outgoing guy, fun to hang out with.  Asked "when did that relationship for you guys start?" says "we both train with the same guy in the off season, so that started when I was training pre draft"  He comes across as straightforward and down to earth, and maybe I mis-read Allen's response when he was asked about Burrow. [I also might not be mistaken in that there might be a bunch of competitive smack-talk out there between them, too - I'm sure they're both ultra-competitive guys]

Anyway, he didn't come across in that interview as particularly cocky much less sounding like a cocky ass.

Just one persons opinion from past interviews and watching games. I just don’t like him and that probably influences my opinion. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I’m tired of Bills fans being so insecure and Karen-y.  “The media thinks Joe Burrow is as good as Josh Allen.  Wah.”  Seriously, grow a pair bro.  Don’t be so fragile.  

Fragile??..You don't have a clue, pal...and your reading comprehension is suspect as well.  The gist of my post was to point out how the media is in love with Burrow without any in depth analysis of the factors behind his success..only using Mahommes and Allen as examples, and not a love letter. 

Maybe you should think twice before you post so critically without having any idea what you are talking about.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

LOL you do know that one reason the OL hustles at high speed to wherever Josh just got tackled is that he's apparently a World-Champion Junk Talker and they need to protect him from himself?

Josh has a different public persona than Joe Burrow, they're different people who had a different path - Burrow through two Big Time programs and a national championship, one through zero scholarship offers out of high school, one Division 1 offer after JC, and the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl as his biggest stage.  It's not like Burrow is all "cocky ass" either:

https://www.bengals.com/video/joe-burrow-bengals-bills-week-17-press-conference

About a minute in, he says he's hung out quite a bit with Josh Allen, they're friends. Says it's no secret why Josh is so good, he's fun to watch.  He runs around and makes plays, makes throws nobody else can make, he's an exciting player, a great player, and it's going to be fun to go against him.  He's asked "what do you like about him, why do you hang around with him?"  He says (Allen's) just fun to be around, he's an outgoing guy, fun to hang out with.  Asked "when did that relationship for you guys start?" says "we both train with the same guy in the off season, so that started when I was training pre draft"  He comes across as straightforward and down to earth, and maybe I mis-read Allen's response when he was asked about Burrow. [I also might not be mistaken in that there might be a bunch of competitive smack-talk out there between them, too - I'm sure they're both ultra-competitive guys]

Anyway, he didn't come across in that interview as particularly cocky much less sounding like a cocky ass.

BTW, although your opinions generally differ from mine I enjoy your well-thought out comments and insights (doesn’t mean you are always right 😆).

• Thank you (+1) 1

Folks keep mentioning that the Bengals big three receivers missed about 250 snaps during the season.  Fine,  somebody else took those snaps.  Receiving stats for both teams in total are close.  Miami is putting up bigger numbers and we held them in check.  I think overall the Bills are a better team, they’re relatively healthy. I’m looking forward to a good game.

20 minutes ago, Toledo Bill said:

Just one persons opinion from past interviews and watching games. I just don’t like him and that probably influences my opinion. 

Yeah, I had the distinct impression from Josh's demeanor and what he said about conversations/discussions - that Joe Burrow wasn't his favorite person.  This was mixed in of course with a bunch of polite, praiseful stuff about how he really respects Burrow as a player and a person etcetera

Then in Burrow's interview, he said he and Josh are friends and he likes to hang out with him because Josh is outgoing and a fun guy to hang with.

Both things can be true I guess - they can enjoy hanging together and be friends to some extent, but also be highly competitive working with Palmer, and maybe as part of that Burrow said some stuff that grated on Josh.

They're very different QBs.  The piece someone posted of Greg Cosell previewing the game is really good.  Essentially my "take" on what he said is that Burrow is the classic QB that Josh Rosen was alleged to be able to become - the elite processor of what he sees pre and post snap, who knows where to go with the ball and is very accurate at getting it there, but who will be aggressive pushing the ball downfield when he sees the opportunity. 

On defense, since I'm talking about it, Cosell talked about the Bengals being primarily a zone team on early downs, but that on 3D they like to play man from dime by bringing in Trey Flowers and having him cover the TE.  He talked about how good the  Bengals D is at making in-game adjustments.

Edited by Beck Water

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I pointed out that the Bengals have put those numbers up in a combined roughly 250ish less snaps than the Bills trio has, which is the equivalent of about 4 full games worth of snaps.

Your math is off. You need to divide the 250 snap by 3 players. 
So it really 83 snaps, or 1.5 games at the most. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Finally got my tickets TODAY!!! from Vivid Seats.  I bought them June 18th.  Was getting really nervous that something was wrong.  Hitting the road at 0800 on Monday.  Should hit the Hilton Cincinnatti by 1600.  10m walk to the game.  Let's do this...

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Kenosha2Buffalo said:

Did poyer practice? Him being out would be crucial 

He did not, but then he DNP two days last week before practicing and playing in the game

6 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Why aren’t the Bengals undefeated?

They have the best defense in the league.

Their QB is the best in the league.

Ja’Marr and the WRs are the best ever.

How has anyone managed to beat them?

Scored more points?

Three of their losses were really close games which they lost by 8 points total - Steelers, Cowboys, Ravens.

Those were all "early in the season" and "they've grown, they're a better football team" now.

The Browns really thumped them in Week 8 winning 32 to 13, and the game wasn't as close as the score makes it appear

Edited by Beck Water

2 hours ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

Is it just me, or is anybody else tired of hearing how Burrow is on par with Allen or Mahommes?  Granted, his numbers are as good as Mahommes or Allen, but I dont think he's near the quarterback.  He is a VERY accurate passer and good decision maker, but lets not forget he throws to three very good receivers..who usually are wide open are going up and grabbing a contested throws..many yards after the catch.

All the highlights I see of Burrow, he always seems to be throwing from a clean pocket with very little pressure--almost like he playing catch. I think I read he is the 4th least pressured quarterback in the league.

Does anybody really think he is going to make that Mahommes run around for 35 yards and flip it upside down behind his back for the completion...or the Allen running to his right being chased leaping, and as he is going out of bounds throwing it across his body halfway across the field??..I think not!!..

That being said, can the Bills front four put enough pressure on him to make him feel uncomfortable?..really wish Von Miller were around....

31 minutes ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

Fragile??..You don't have a clue, pal...and your reading comprehension is suspect as well.  The gist of my post was to point out how the media is in love with Burrow without any in depth analysis of the factors behind his success..only using Mahommes and Allen as examples, and not a love letter. 

Maybe you should think twice before you post so critically without having any idea what you are talking about.

If that’s the gist of your post, maybe think twice about posting prior to taking a course on thought composition, because that post doesn’t say that in the least.  Reread your post.  You’re crying about nothing man.  

Paragraph 1: wah, media says burrow is as good as Allen and Mahomes.  He’s very accurate and a great decision maker.  His stats are good but he throws to 3 great WRs.  

paragraph 2 and 3-  burrows doesn’t make the plays that make you go wow like Mahomes.  Wah.  

paragraph 4:  the bills dl 

How on earth could:   “The gist of my post was to point out how the media is in love with Burrow without any in depth analysis of the factors behind his success..only using Mahommes and Allen as examples, and not a love letter” 

you said nothing of the sort-  maybe you should think twice about questioning one’s reading comprehension until you learn how to compose your thoughts in writing and not just in your head.  

8 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Why aren’t the Bengals undefeated?

They have the best defense in the league.

Their QB is the best in the league.

Ja’Marr and the WRs are the best ever.

How has anyone managed to beat them?

This is how the media had been portraying the bills until the first jets game…. Only it was everyone, not just some of the media.  And everyone was picking them to win the SB.  Everyone.  

We weren’t complaining about that were we?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If that’s the gist of your post, maybe think twice about posting prior to taking a course on thought composition, because that post doesn’t say that in the least.  Reread your post.  You’re crying about nothing man.  

Paragraph 1: wah, media says burrow is as good as Allen and Mahomes.  He’s very accurate and a great decision maker.  His stats are good but he throws to 3 great WRs.  

paragraph 2 and 3-  burrows doesn’t make the plays that make you go wow like Mahomes.  Wah.  

paragraph 4:  the bills dl 

How on earth could:   “The gist of my post was to point out how the media is in love with Burrow without any in depth analysis of the factors behind his success..only using Mahommes and Allen as examples, and not a love letter” 

you said nothing of the sort-  maybe you should think twice about questioning one’s reading comprehension until you learn how to compose your thoughts in writing and not just in your head.  

This is how the media had been portraying the bills until the first jets game…. Only it was everyone, not just some of the media.  And everyone was picking them to win the SB.  Everyone.  

We weren’t complaining about that were we?

“We weren’t complaining about that then we’re we”

Bills and Chiefs lost Week 3 and Bengals lost Weeks 1-2 so all that went out the window.

Your dig at me doesn't even get off the ground. 

Listening to Ross Tucker ramble about how good the Bengals are and how superior their skill players are.

And Schopp just lapping up the spilled milk on the ground. 

Win on Monday and this BS will continue by guys like Skip Bayless and others, but we’ve got better wins than anyone in the AFC bar none.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.