Week 17: Bills at Bengals on MNF

Beck Water

20 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Agreed and I think beane sees other teams spending big on WR lately and is waiting for the market to swing in his favor (Shakir in the 5th is a good example this draft). I think this upcoming year may be a good time to draft early as some talent may slip. 

RB: what?  You didn’t look at their stats did you. Bengals are one of the worst YPC and total yards. Their backs catch the ball but they are not as good running.

DL you are also underselling the bills. No Hubbard and Hendrickson getting out snapped by sample and Ossai last game means their DEs are not as good. Inside Reader is great but they don’t have a lot more after that.  

I see a lot of areas that we should be able to do well. Biggest concern is the gap at WR (or pass catcher to include RB/TE) may be bigger than the gap at any other position group. 

Hendrickson snap count is because he is coming back from a broken wrist, not because he has played poorly. He has been very good this year.

• Agree 1

Goes without saying the importance of this game.  Potential rain and moderate temperatures.  That adds to the drama.  If the Bills play smart, disciplined and mistake free football, IMO, they will win. I expect it to be close but the Bills hang defensively with the Bengals.  Allen and the offense can dominate that Bengal defense.  Patience Josh!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Goes without saying the importance of this game.  Potential rain and moderate temperatures.  That adds to the drama.  If the Bills play smart, disciplined and mistake free football, IMO, they will win. I expect it to be close but the Bills hang defensively with the Bengals.  Allen and the offense can dominate that Bengal defense.  Patience Josh!

If I'm the Bengals, I take away the deep pass, keep Allen contained in the pocket, and give him short- and mid-range passes all day. That takes away the Bills' best weapons (Allen running and throwing deep) and invites Allen to be patient, which is not his long suit. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, finn said:

If I'm the Bengals, I take away the deep pass, keep Allen contained in the pocket, and give him short- and mid-range passes all day. That takes away the Bills' best weapons (Allen running and throwing deep) and invites Allen to be patient, which is not his long suit. 

This might be the medicine Allen needs.  I was in Chicago and that pass to McKenzie came my way.  That double team burned him.  Patience grasshopper!

29 minutes ago, Nitro said:

This might be the medicine Allen needs.  I was in Chicago and that pass to McKenzie came my way.  That double team burned him.  Patience grasshopper!

He plays differently in big games like this.... I talked about this last week. He buckles down and balls out in situations like this. The UCL injury is the only consideration... it concerns me.

2 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

Agree with everything but CB. NCB is a push but Jackson/Elam > Cam Taylor Britt and Tre > Eli Apple (hope he talks trash to Diggs)

Not sure about this game. Mike Hilton is a very good slot corner and I don’t remember Cole having good games against the Steelers the last 2 seasons. 

But it’s not true. He’s about to be the first player to have 4000+ passing and 750+ rushing in two consecutive seasons. 36/15 is very similar to 32/13. His passer rating and QBR are both up. How is it true that he’s not having the same year?  

Stats from pro football reference 

What I mean is how Josh Allen has played. I'm not saying he's having a terrible year.

Most of it has been his decision making. Some of his interceptions have looked really bad, and that wasn't the case last year.

I think that some of it has to do with play calling. Our short yardage pass options appear to only be running backs instead of wide receivers.

I am not complaining about Josh Allen at all. I think he is having a very good year, and he is largely responsible for the Bills record.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I'm sure they will find a way.

4 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

They don't practice in Buffalo, and most of them live well south of the city. 

I'll bet they're doing a lot better in OP than those in the Buffalo metro area. 

I hope so. But I think they will need some good live reps (not zoom reps) this week.  Just hope the weather cooperates here. 

On 12/26/2022 at 11:47 AM, Greg S said:

Disagree. The Bills are winless on the road in the playoffs with McDermott, but they are undefeated at home. 

There a first time for everything.  At some point through the years McDermott will get his road playoff win.   Home is obviously preferable but if they have to play on the road they won’t be overmatched.  

2 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

This should be a good game. If I was to break it down:

QB: EVEN.  Both are elite and can take over a game.

RB -Bengals — they actually run the ball with Mixon who is a good RB

OL — Both are suspect IMO. I give the edge Bills

DL — even

LB — Cinci

Secondary - Bills

I predict a close game..  a winner by less than 3. 

I don’t think this will be like some of the KC/Bills battles we’ve seen. 

I think one team will either figure out the others offense/defense. Winner is decided by 10+ points. 

42 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

He plays differently in big games like this.... I talked about this last week. He buckles down and balls out in situations like this. The UCL injury is the only consideration... it concerns me.

You are right about this, and I worry about the UCL too, but...

We have had 2 big regular season games since the last big one, @ KC. In the KC game, he played as you described. He had issues between that game and the New England one, but New England was huge - they finally had some semblance of a normal practice schedule, and it was the start of a 3 game division stretch that would propel us back to the lead of the AFC east. Josh went into NE and took what they gave him, and was masterful, if not quite the electric Josh we are spoiled to expect every game. The Jets game was garbage weather, but he played quite well considering the defense and the weather, and I recall no turnover-worthy plays. Then Miami was for all of the AFCE marbles, and he was again masterful. 

In Chicago vs a vastly inferior team, a game in which none of us or the Bills really felt was out of control, he got a bit greedy and tried to get some MVP stats. It didn't work. He will not play like this with the 1 seed on the line. We will see peak Josh on Monday. 

Couple his game against Miami in the weather with that deep throw to Diggs called back at new england, and I guess I'm not too afraid of the UCL either

Josh's playoff performance was otherworldly. He was possessed. It sort of poisoned things for us. He will give that to us again, but it is exceedingly rare for any QB. All it does is give tards like Nick Wright ammo when he has a normal good-QB performance. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Hendrickson snap count is because he is coming back from a broken wrist, not because he has played poorly. He has been very good this year.

Agree it’s def cause of his injury. But it def also limits him in this game.  Why else would they reduce his snap count? Do you think he plays 60% if the snaps (he played 43% last week)?  I also think with these offenses we’re gonna see a lot of plays (59 plays is the lowest the bills have since the bye).  As we both agree he’s a good player and so the less we see of him the better. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.