NFL Week # 16 - Bills at Bears - post game thread

BuffaloBill

53 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Is Gabe still not 100%? Watching it live it felt like Gabe was looking kinda slow. Then I rewatched the game kinda focusing on him more, he looked like he was giving 70% today. If you watch some scrambles and broken plays, Gabe runs his route and just stops and is just standing there while josh is scrambling. Kinda frustrating when you see guys like tyreek and kelce that are elite at finding space on scrambles and pick up back breaking first downs and then you got Gabe just standing there not really working to get into space to help josh. I hope it's that he's just not 100% yet and not an effort thing.

He’s always had that gimpy waddle kind of run.

I just can’t buy a twisted ankle in Week 2 walkthrough is still plaguing him in Week 15/16.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, AlfaBill said:

Fields didn’t run today. The Bills didn’t stop him.

the D played well but early on looked really shaken which is a Frazier hallmark. 

So I rewatched the game. It seems that Fields tried to run around a few times early on and the dline and backers kept contain quite well without over pursuing him. This rendered him ineffective. It seems I was wrong about the comment. I stand corrected. 

The second comment I still stand by though. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 straight games in terrible conditions (today was the worse of the 2 almost impossible to throw downfield in that mess):

Bills offense in the 2 games (no Morse in 1 and a half of them):

67 points

872 total yards 

Allen:  40-66 for 476 yards 7 TDS 2 INTs with 111 yards rushing 

Motor/Cook 281 yards rushing 3 total TDS

We’re peaking.  Against Carolina and Atlanta last year in similar or perhaps better conditions the O wasn’t this good.  

Anyone complaining has perfection only standards or should lay off the drugs.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was at the game. Bills fans were probably 40% of attendees, it was awesome. As I was driving into the parking lot, I saw a Bills fan dive onto a folding table from a pickup truck bed, I knew right then it was going to be a great day. I've lived in the Chicago area my whole life & been to 20+ games at Soldier field, I've never seen anywhere near that many opposing fans, even Bears/Packers games. Previous Bears/Bills games I've been to during the drought years had maybe 5% Buffalo fans.

Going in with my family decked out in Bills gear, I fully expected to have some issues with Bears fans based on what I've seen there over the years, but not a single one. Everyone was cool, I saw no fights, heckling, or even arguments. The cold & wind sucked, but it was totally worth it, an awesome day for Bills fans.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

"Bills are a dumb football team"

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/video/david-kaplan-bills-are-dumb-football-team

Discuss

My take is that the Bills were having success pounding the rock in part because the Bears were worried about our downfield passing game.  That first INT was a bonehead throw though, with short options right in front of him.  IMO the Bears were expecting that as soon as the ball was snapped - there may be a "tell" to that play which I believe is the same play we ran twice against Miami, once for a TD by McKenzie and once for a shorter pass (but McKenzie appeared open).  After the snap, the Bears DB #6 appeared headed for R corner of the EZ like a demented homing pigeon like "Oh, yeah, it's that deep crosser they run with the fast smurf"

If you stop it at the point where Allen is about to throw, it appears he has Morris and Diggs; a beat or two later, he has Davis all alone on the L sideline.  Daboll would have been screaming in Allen's helmet for sure.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Phillips shoulder is still injured.

I was watching for him and he only played a handful of snaps.

He took himself out early on a routine tackle, and on that TFL in the 4th he checked himself out immediately.

He was wearing a brace. 

15 snaps (24%)

Snap counts are up if anyone is interested

https://nflcdns.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/59065/CHI_Gamebook.pdf

I just can’t buy a twisted ankle in Week 2 walkthrough is still plaguing him in Week 15/16.

It may be time to acknowledge that Davis is just not an very good WR. Patrick Peterson claims he runs just three routes, and, watching him, I think that's right. He also has a very high drop rate, mediocre speed, and doesn't seem to try very hard, like when he didn't try for the TD throw with the CB in front of him; if he had, he might have drawn a PI call. With his size and ability to make sideline catches and the occasional fly route, he's valuable as a third WR, but he's nothing better than that, leaving the Bills with only one WR that scares opponents. Not a good situation heading into the playoffs, especially with Mackenzie falling short as a slot receiver. 

• Agree 2

I agree about the ankle, and doubting that it’s still plaguing him.  Some of his stats are pretty much on-par with prior season (yards/catch, catch rate), except that he has more targets this year.  Maybe being on the field more and higher expectations are just better exposing weaknesses that have been there along?

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

15 snaps (24%)

Snap counts are up if anyone is interested

https://nflcdns.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/59065/CHI_Gamebook.pdf

So Bobby Hart got more snaps than Q'berry

Gabe gets more snaps than DIggs

Phillips got 15 snaps before injury, but none of our DL played more than 43 snaps.

I thought Jonathan had some nice moments.

I think we'll be OK.

10 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Oh I'm banging the drum for Cook to start and get more playing time. And I love Singletary and have stuck up for him repeatedly because he's a solid player and he's been our only real option at RB for a few years now. 

I'm also not "just getting lost in the stats", he looks like the better, more explosive back more often than not over the last 6 weeks. That's when he started getting his first real chance to contribute in this offense. And imo he's outplayed Singletary. 

I would caution you on being too comfortable with the same old thing. One looks the part of a featured back, with the ability to make big plays and the other looks like a typical #2 RB, the best you can say about his game is he's steady. That's not meant to be a knock on Singletary, it's just the truth. We finally have the luxury of putting Singletary at his true position.

We know what we have in Singletary, he's hit his ceiling. He's the little engine that could and there's nothing wrong with that. We have no idea how high Cook's ceiling is, but you can plainly see it's higher than Singletary's by a noticeable margin. You get the feeling he could break one at anytime. I miss that at the RB position and you know what? So does this offense. With an offense desperate for big plays right now, this should be a no brainer. I think the coaches are starting to see it too. 2 of the last 4 games the carries were evenly split, each had a game with 1 more carry than the other.

Pass blocking

16 hours ago, Bangarang said:

T-shirt and hat day! It wasn’t always pretty but we got the job done.

I actually thought Dorsey called a good game for the most part.

Josh for whatever reason was making some of the worst decisions I’ve seen from him. Both interceptions were head scratchers. He refused to throw the check down and pick up some easy yards and instead tried forcing it downfield. He needs to get his head right before the playoffs.

Kudos to Cook and Singletary who had great games. Same to the defense who clamped down after giving up an easy TD on the Bears’ opening drive. 

Onto Cincinnati 

I thought the 1st pick was just awful - double coverage, guess he didn't see underneath defender..

Looking back at the 2nd, I think he was trying to hit Cook underneath and the ball just sailed on him. I can live with those type ints

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.