12/24/22 Week 16 Christmas Eve GAMEDAY Bills @ Bears Pregame Thread

Chandler#81

8 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Good luck!

3 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

You're looking at this all wrong. Don't think of it as it's only 55, think of it as it feels 74 degrees warmer in your apartment than it does in Chicago rn. Based on today's weather, that right there is a bona-fide heat wave.

These are the times a drank liquor so I could warm up with a nice glass of bourbon but I'm a beer guy.  At least those are staying nice and chilly.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I heard a former player say they need to wait 30 45 min to take a shower after a gm like this. Nuts! I literally lasted 5 min out there lol

I put on carhartt coveralls, a Columbia ski jacket, extreme cold weather mask, gator, gloves, huge hat, hood, boots...then went out to run the snowblower.  My damn eyelashes froze together.  Sucks a lot out there

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

The wind chill was 7 below in the playoff game against the Pats last year.

And I remember talking/anticipating that game and thinking the weather would have a big impact.

In fairness, it really didn't.  We seemed to play really well despite the extreme cold.

It's going to be a good bit worse today in Chicago though, but maybe it won't matter as much as I would guess.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Nineforty said:

I thought it was a joke about the phallic nature of the states geography, which of course is always funny. 

Yup, Florida is America’s schwantz, always has been, in the sixties we made jokes when we were in grade school…, 😁

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

The wind chill was 7 below in the playoff game against the Pats last year.

That’s not the point I was trying to make. Yes, the players can get thru a few hours in those harsh conditions but that isn’t the same thing as the human body getting “acclimated” to sub zero temps. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

That’s not the point I was trying to make. Yes, the players can get thru a few hours in those harsh conditions but that isn’t the same thing as the human body getting “acclimated” to sub zero temps. 

True. Also if this was mid February and they played the whole winter outside, they would be a little more acclimated, but this is the first real arctic plunge of the year. No one is acclimated yet.

15 minutes ago, Stroke 17 said:

When I was younger, (the 90's younger) I thought it was cool to see the Bills in short sleeves trying to psych out the opponents. Now I think I am older and wiser. I think the best way to go is to wear clothes and be warm. No need to psych out an inferior team. GO BILLS!

Short sleeves? Who wore short sleeves on the 90s teams? I remember Bruce a few times. Other than that I cant think of many. Kelly, Thurman, Reed, Talley, Tasker, Lofton, and Bennett certainly never did. Maybe Odomes did now that I think of it. 

2 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

And how many snowballs will be raining down? 

Probably not that many.  There were only a couple of inches of snow, and it's so cold that the snow is very dry and powdery.  Doesn't pack well at all.

However, it's possible we may see ice thrown.  It was raining pretty hard, then the temperature plummeted so fast that there's chunks of frozen water about if folks go looking for it.

Today will be old style football.  Run and stop the run.  Emphasis on stopping the run.

I think Allen will try to throw to build a lead and then set up the run game for later.  

I expect the Bears to be tough.  Go Bills, get it done and get the next goal in your path - AFC East!  

3 minutes ago, billybob71 said:

that's good to hear!!, so the wind has calmed down there?

Watch the video I posted up thread from about an hour ago.  Sal C. standing in the end zone at Soldier Field; you can hear how active the wind is and Sal mentions it.

The stadium is right on the lake.  The wind will be blowing.

9 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

And I remember talking/anticipating that game and thinking the weather would have a big impact.

In fairness, it really didn't.  We seemed to play really well despite the extreme cold.

It's going to be a good bit worse today in Chicago though, but maybe it won't matter as much as I would guess.

No wind and no precipitation in the Pats game. 

Its supposed to be windy in Chicago

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

Watch the video I posted up thread from about an hour ago.  Sal C. standing in the end zone at Soldier Field; you can hear how active the wind is and Sal mentions it.

The stadium is right on the lake.  The wind will be blowing.

yeah just saw that wind sounded nasty, damn not good

37 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Team should be acclimated to this weather right ?

Go Bills !!

Not at all. 

Polar explorers and survey teams and oil sand crews and others who work outdoors most of the day, every day, in areas where the temperatures are constantly this cold get acclimated.

This is way colder than a standard Buffalo winter.  They need to rev up their "Burning Desire to Win", put the "icy hot" on their socks, and tough it out.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ethan in Cleveland said:

No wind and no precipitation in the Pats game. 

Its supposed to be windy in Chicago

Yeah, it's kind of strange that it was considered calm that night and windy today. Outside temps are pretty much identical and the wind chill today is only 8 degrees colder(-7 vs -15).