Mt. Rushmore of busts. Is Wilson on it?

Cson76

He's just the latest..his career isnt over yet, either.  I would say Josh Rosen is a much more serious contender at this point.  I also wouldn't put JaMarcus on there either. He was vastly overrated, and overdrafted by the Raiders...but most didn't have any huge expectations for him....he was a very green prospect.  Someone like Rosen was pretty universally expected to be an bonafide NFL starter.  Russell was always viewed as a very raw prospect.  Who knows, had he been drafted in the 3rd or 4th round, as many expected, he might have developed into something more.  Team overdrafted him, and put unreasonable expecations on him...he was bound for failure.

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buftex said:

He's just the latest..his career isnt over yet, either.  I would say Josh Rosen is a much more serious contender at this point.  I also wouldn't put JaMarcus on there either. He was vastly overrated, and overdrafted by the Raiders...but most didn't have any huge expectations for him....he was a very green prospect.  Someone like Rosen was pretty universally expected to be an bonafide NFL starter.  Russell was always viewed as a very raw prospect.  Who knows, had he been drafted in the 3rd or 4th round, as many expected, he might have developed into something more.  Team overdrafted him, and put unreasonable expecations on him...he was bound for failure.

A qb taken @ 2 vs a qb taken @ 10-  idk…. Being terrible is being terrible-  the greater investment means bigger bust imo

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 5

Not sure there is a state in the county large enough to build  a monument for all the bust QB's in the NFL!

Look at the first three picks in 1999 draft alone: Tim Couch, McNabb (great pick), Akili Smith.

The Bengals could probably almost have their own monument when you add Smith 3rd overall, David Klinger 6th overall, and Jack Thomson 3rd overall

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

They were talking about this on WFAN this morning. One of the talking heads claimed that the Raiders sent Jamarcus home with blank DVD's to see if he was really studying. Never heard that one before - looks legit:

"The coaches would send Russell home with a game-plan DVD loaded with plays and ideas to study. Suspecting that their bonus-baby quarterback was skipping his homework, the coaches slipped in a blank DVD one day. When Russell returned, he reportedly said the game plan looked good to him."

https://www.nfl.com/news/jamarcus-russell-and-the-raiders-blank-dvd-caper-0ap1000000210130

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

IMO, No. 

Guys like Mandarich, Emtman, Bosworth all had far more college accolades and didn't quite get there in the NFL. Then you've  virtually every all world RB out of Penn State from Blair Thomas to Kijana Carter.

Wilson is like Akili Smith, Andre Ware, Tim Couch. One great college year but was way over drafted by a desperate team. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The teams that make these really bad picks that turn out to be busts never seem to be labeled as the ones who are just as much a bust , it always placed on the player when it is mostly the teams fault for the outcome.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I think Russell definitely deserves to be on there. Being drafted first automatically puts huge expectations on you-not sure why you would draft someone first if you don’t have huge expectations. Plus the whole coaches giving him a blank DVD thing puts him up on that list. 

4 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

The teams that make these really bad picks that turn out to be busts never seem to be labeled as the ones who are just as much a bust , it always placed on the player when it is mostly the teams fault for the outcome.

This is very true. Virtually no QB was going to succeed in Cincinnati, same with many of the QBs drafted by the Seahawks. Those 2 franchises at that time makes the dumpster fire that the Bills were during the drought seem like a very small flame 

• Like (+1) 2

The Jets Organization deserves to go up more than Wilson. Wilson was simply way over-drafted. Sooo many people knew right away that he'd never cut it. There were practically no real expectations.

Most "big busts" have some sort of expectation that goes along with it, making their busts even bigger.

The organization that has recently "busted" on Geno Smith, Sam Darnold, and now Zach Wilson deserves far more of the blame than any of these players.

I guess what I'm saying is, ***** THE JETS!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

No, because he was a late riser from a non power 5 school. Everyone knew he was going to be a project and that you were drafting him for his upside. Nobody thought he was a sure thing.

I think the bigger busts that really stand out are the guys you think are locks to be stars in the league and then they flop.

But being taken 2nd overall and sucking definitely makes you a certified bust. Just not necessarily in the running for the worst busts of all time.

He just seems completely lost from a mental standpoint. I could see him getting good in a few years if he can stick around as a backup somewhere and learn the game.

The other issue is this: they want him to be a timing passer and get the ball out quick on every play. That's not who he is. Why not tailor your offense to his strengths? He is not a quick passer. He is a good scrambler. He thrives on the off-script things. He is kind of like Josh Allen in that way. I feel like they are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Thanks.  That is what I was trying to say..

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Not sure there is a state in the county large enough to build  a monument for all the bust QB's in the NFL!

Look at the first three picks in 1999 draft alone: Tim Couch, McNabb, Akili Smith.

The Bengals could probably almost have their own monument when you add Smith 3rd overall, David Klinger 6th overall, and Jack Thomson 3rd overall

You're calling Donovan McNabb a bust? 6-time pro bowler, two-time all pro ... came in 2nd for NFL MVP in 2000....

My brother... what??

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.