NFL grants YouTube TV exclusive NFL Sunday Ticket rights in the US starting in 2023(deal worth $2B+)

Big Turk

12 minutes ago, nucci said:

you're just speculating and until this happens I'll enjoy the savings and more channels for less cost...not paying extra fees for genie and dvr, extra fees just for hooking up a TV.

Saving real money is just an illusion.  Just wait a few years.  

🤣 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, sabres431 said:

The thing holding me back from switching is MSG.  Youtube TV doesn't have MSG, and MSG's new streaming service is priced to keep you with cable TV providers.

I have ESPN+ for hockey but I'm no longer in Buffalo area so you might get blacked out for Sabres

28 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Check back in a few years…… that’s your advice to not cut the cord now?  You could be dead in a few years.  People are actually saving money now…. 

I’ve been using my brother in laws Hulu, Espn, Disney account for years.  Yes, that will probably change in the future, but by that time have already saved close to $1000 dollars.  But I shouldn’t take advantage of these loopholes while they exist…,because it’ll change in a few years?  🤣 

people are laughing at you for this thought process.

YouTube with no adds is amazing and has changed my life for the better 

Cool, glad it works for you👍,  

11 hours ago, djp14150 said:

this is why I laugh at cord cutters who think they are going to save money and get a deal.

thr cost of cable TV or  streaming online totprrey TV channels sre going to eventual cost the same. It becomes a matter of promotional deals and switching.

even in streaming, just like cable you don’t really have choices. You have to take blocks of stations, even if you only want one channel.

on cable, other than old school national network stations, I might regularly watch content on 10 non sports stations

I agree. The only upside is that the streaming market is more competitive than the cable market, so one would hope that keeps costs down. But even then, it is no coincidence that Hulu and YouTube both charge a monthly fee within a few dollars of each other. 

15 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I agree. The only upside is that the streaming market is more competitive than the cable market, so one would hope that keeps costs down. But even then, it is no coincidence that Hulu and YouTube both charge a monthly fee within a few dollars of each other. 

You have to look at the taxes and fees these companies charge you above and beyond what they tell you your plan costs.

My most recent Youtube TV bill, the taxes were $5.38.

My last cable bill before dropping cable, there's a broadcast TV fee, which was $19.35, an Regional Sports fee, which was $9.10, and finally tax, which was another $10.25 and I had no additional boxes, which they charge you like another $10 bucks each/month.

So that's another almost $40 bucks/month on top of what they tell you your plan costs.  Ridiculous.

With YouTube TV, you're just paying the tax.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, nucci said:

it's already out on how it will be offered. You won't need youtube TV to get it

https://tv.youtube.com/learn/nflsundayticket/

I am stunned you can get Sunday Ticket without YouTube TV. This is a bad business decision and will cost Alphabet money. When I subscribed to Sunday Ticket in 2005 (so I could view the rise of JP Losman's new empire, lol), you had to get DirecTV. Also, when I was a child in 1983 and wanted to get WrestleMania III pay-per-view like all my friends were (Hogan vs. Andre the Giant), we couldn't, since my family did not have cable TV.

I bet YouTube TV even lets you get a team package for Sunday Ticket, where you can view just one team and save even more money (I am not sure--need to reed the FAQ). How times have changed.

10 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

You have to look at the taxes and fees these companies charge you above and beyond what they tell you your plan costs.

My most recent Youtube TV bill, the taxes were $5.38.

My last cable bill before dropping cable, there's a broadcast TV fee, which was $19.35, an Regional Sports fee, which was $9.10, and finally tax, which was another $10.25 and I had no additional boxes, which they charge you like another $10 bucks each/month.

So that's another almost $40 bucks/month on top of what they tell you your plan costs.  Ridiculous.

With YouTube TV, you're just paying the tax.

Yep, and DirecTV was similar...extra charges per box, the "whole home DVR" feature, a bunch of crap...

Streaming is absolutely more cost effective if you plan it correctly, and is likely to remain such.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, chongli said:

I am stunned you can get Sunday Ticket without YouTube TV. This is a bad business decision and will cost Alphabet money. When I subscribed to Sunday Ticket in 2005 (so I could view the rise of JP Losman's new empire, lol), you had to get DirecTV. Also, when I was a child in 1983 and wanted to get WrestleMania III pay-per-view like all my friends were (Hogan vs. Andre the Giant), we couldn't, since my family did not have cable TV.

I bet YouTube TV even lets you get a team package for Sunday Ticket, where you can view just one team and save even more money (I am not sure--need to reed the FAQ). How times have changed.

I'm not sure. This way Sunday Ticket will be available to more people. There are probably many who want the ticket but don't want to switch to youtube tv. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, chongli said:

Hoping this is the case, where I can just get Bills and Red Zone. 

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah.  Those box rental and maintenance fees and taxes where what finally pushed me over the edge with subscription satellite/cable service.  Dropped it 7-8? years ago.

Streaming is nice because with a click of a button, you can turn on or off service.  There is also competition which will keep the major carriers in check... unless the government somehow allows them to carve up territories and gives them the green light for racketeering like they do the telecoms.

The bad thing is that things are getting carved out and made exclusive for one or the other.  Again though, you can just turn on the juice when you need it.  When the final season for Better Call Saul was on, I subscribed to AMC+ for a few months, and shut it off after I was done.  we dont need Telecoms to garnish our wages monthly for 10-20 years anymore

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ned Flanders said:

Hoping this is the case, where I can just get Bills and Red Zone. 

For the NCAA tourney youtube is experimenting with a multi view screen. I'm watching a couple of games at same time. I think if it works they'll use it for football and you can make your own version of the red zone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This is better for consumers that just want the games. You can subscribe for the season and then just cancel during the offseason. 

Much better than directv where you had hidden fees and couldn’t cancel, especially if you were still locked in a contract for upgrading your equipment. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

you can just turn on the juice when you need it.  When the final season for Better Call Saul was on, I subscribed to AMC+ for a few months, and shut it off after I was done. 

We're rotating plans too. We have Amazon Prime, but mainly for the shipping, so the streaming is a free bonus. We also have Paramount Plus for all things Star Trek (plus a few other shows.) For now, at least, we'll keep both of those all the time. Last year, I wanted to watch the Beatles documentary, so we subscribed to Disney+ for a month. During that time, we binged the first two seasons of The Mandalorian and then canceled the service. We recently re-upped for another month or two to see the 3rd season, along with a few other Star Wars series, and we'll cancel when the Mandalorian finishes its season.

There are a couple of shows I want to see on Nexflix and Hulu, so we'll subscribe to one, binge the shows, cancel, and subscribe to the other. I figure as long as they don't start requiring annual contracts, we'll just keep the Disney/Netflix/Hulu rotation going. Even if you count the cost of Amazon Prime, our total streaming bill is around $25/month - a fraction of what we were paying for DirecTV.

As for Sunday Ticket, no matter what they charge, not having to subscribe to a full DirecTV or YouTubeTV package will save us a ton. If I can get a Bills-only subscription for considerably less, I'll jump on it.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, sabres431 said:

The thing holding me back from switching is MSG.  Youtube TV doesn't have MSG, and MSG's new streaming service is priced to keep you with cable TV providers.

Fubu has MSG, but I don’t believe the interface and pricing is near YouTube’s. MSG not as important for me as I am not in Buffalo, but would be a tough choice living there. 

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Fubu has MSG, but I don’t believe the interface and pricing is near YouTube’s. MSG not as important for me as I am not in Buffalo, but would be a tough choice living there. 

Who needs MSG?  Most of the Sabres games are now on ESPN+.

28 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

We're rotating plans too. We have Amazon Prime, but mainly for the shipping, so the streaming is a free bonus. We also have Paramount Plus for all things Star Trek (plus a few other shows.) For now, at least, we'll keep both of those all the time. Last year, I wanted to watch the Beatles documentary, so we subscribed to Disney+ for a month. During that time, we binged the first two seasons of The Mandalorian and then canceled the service. We recently re-upped for another month or two to see the 3rd season, along with a few other Star Wars series, and we'll cancel when the Mandalorian finishes its season.

There are a couple of shows I want to see on Nexflix and Hulu, so we'll subscribe to one, binge the shows, cancel, and subscribe to the other. I figure as long as they don't start requiring annual contracts, we'll just keep the Disney/Netflix/Hulu rotation going. Even if you count the cost of Amazon Prime, our total streaming bill is around $25/month - a fraction of what we were paying for DirecTV.

As for Sunday Ticket, no matter what they charge, not having to subscribe to a full DirecTV or YouTubeTV package will save us a ton. If I can get a Bills-only subscription for considerably less, I'll jump on it.

I haven't found any pricing for the stand alone NFL service.  I am interested because my housing area requires a TV subscription with Spectrum.  I'd hate to pay that subscription, offering a couple hundred channels, then go with a full Youtube subscription.  Any advice?

3 minutes ago, Deadstroke said:

I haven't found any pricing for the stand alone NFL service.  I am interested because my housing area requires a TV subscription with Spectrum.  I'd hate to pay that subscription, offering a couple hundred channels, then go with a full Youtube subscription.  Any advice?

There's no pricing out yet. Subscribers expect to get an email soon with early discounts, we were told. You won't need to switch to youtube TV to get it

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.