NFL grants YouTube TV exclusive NFL Sunday Ticket rights in the US starting in 2023(deal worth $2B+)

Big Turk

2 hours ago, nucci said:

Correct on no commitment. I had directv over 20 years and I can no longer justify the cost. I switched to youtube TV which is $65/month. All live channels you need, unlimited DVR. Can view on multiple TVs at same time. Just added Disney bundle for $12.99/month - Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+. I'm getting more than I ever did with directv for $78/month while I was paying almost $180 for directv. Just something to look in to.

Did exactly the same thing a month ago.

Also cut my land line and use Verizon wireless internet. Net saving of $180 a month!!!

I don’t watch much TV and my wife wanted the Food network . We mostly watch Hulu and Netflix. 
DTV was pretty useless, especially for the money.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

It's too much of a multi-year commitment when all you want is the NFL games.

This is we’re I’m at 💯… calling Directv today to finally say good bye, while that one guy said he was only paying 70$ a month I wasn’t that lucky… during the season my bill would range around 150$ a month or more. Then when football is over I still have to pay 100$ a month to keep it on…. Me and my family don’t watch it , we stream shows… so I hope it’s good quality!! But I want miss paying all that money for nothing. P.S I had Directv for 15 years … 

2 hours ago, SoMAn said:

commitment?  I have the option to cancel Directv at any time without further obligation. 

If I lived alone and only needed one or two TVs, I might be content with over the air and the numerous streaming options, but as I stated in earlier post, DTV has several features that appeal to me and work well multiple rooms and with our family's viewing habits.

As far as cost goes, just wait until all the streaming services have you thoroughly hooked - guarantee you'll see more advertising and escalating monthly fees.  I can't believe Netflix is still commercial-free. It's only a matter of time before we start getting regular interruptions for ads. Remember when there weren't ads on Youtube? Then there was only a quick/short one. Now, there are often 2 or 3 before you can get to the content you're accessing.

We are marketed to death!

I had DirecTV for over 20 years and cut the cord 3 years ago.  I understand your reasons for enjoying their service but the reality is

that technology is changing and streaming is the future.  Advertising and data drive the tech world so we all will have to live with it.

My friends and I watch a lot of YouTube, and we are going to chip in to buy the YouTube Premium to get rid of the ads.  It is one option

for a few bucks a month that DirecTV does not offer.

As for huge increases in streaming worries, I believe it will be modest for the simple reason it's easy for any start-up to compete in

streaming vs sending up satellites to circle the globe.  While I still miss some of the Directv functions one thing I love about streaming

is I can pull my Roku stick, grab my remote and take all my TV with me when I travel now that I'm retired.

Streaming is still clunky, especially moving between "channels" but I believe that technology will fix some of these issues in the future.

All in all, I have been paying way less for TV than I ever have before, and I get a lot more viewing options.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Yesterday was our first day in 23 years without Directv.  Kind of weird, like the end of an era.

No hard feelings toward DTV at all.  They provided a good product with good service, albeit at a somewhat high price point.  It's just that aside from live sports, I can't understand why anybody would want a service that requires to you to tune in at specific times to watch the shows you want, with commercials included.  That business model isn't going to survive the 2020s.  It's barely alive now.  DTV and the networks just offer an objectively inferior product when compared to any decent streaming service. 

The only thing keeping the major networks alive is NFL football...the prime time "entertainment" lineups on every major network are garbage, the only shows we DVR are Jeopardy (I'm old) and Law and Order.  However, even the streaming platforms (YouTube TV, Sling, Hulu, etc.) are not the panacea they once were.  "Cord cutting" is a outdated phenomenon, as the streamers continue to raise their rates to nearly equal those of the cable/satellite behemoths....and rate increases can be attributed to the upward climb of sports programming costs.  YTTV just dropped the MLB Network this week and have, in past years, dropped many of the regional sports networks they once carried, i.e. YES and NESN.  We all want more live sports, but the costs are huge, and are, in turn, always passed off to the consumer.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/3/2023 at 8:39 AM, May Day 10 said:

I was a DTV subscriber for years.  I did appreciate the ability to speak to a friendly person every year, and get my bill down to a reasonable amount, and also some free premium stations for a few months.  

AT&T took over and all the charm went away.  They acted like all the other telecoms.  They had me and would take whatever $ they could get away with.  I looked at my bill.  Im 'renting' about $40 in equipment alone every month, along with all sorts of other service fees for those.  Plus the service itself.  Why am I doing this?

About 2015, we took the plunge and went all streaming.  I'll never go back.  I tried both Hulu Live and YouTube TV.  YouTube TV is a little better, mainly due to the interface.  We have Netflix, and my Verizon Phone plan includes Hulu, ESPN+, and Disney+.  We do not have a TV subscription service at this time.  I borrow my FIL's Spectrum password and can log into any of the apps to get content and live TV.   My TV consumption has turned into a life of 'on-demand'.  Its liberating in my busy life.  Any of these services, you can just subscribe to, or cancel with the click of a button.  No annoying retention, no contracts, no difficulty.   You can also just log in and watch TV from any device you have.  

We did beef up our Spectrum Internet and purchased a good modem and router (so we dont have to lease them from Spectrum).  We have had 3+ TVs, phones, tablets all on at once and never have we had any sort of internet issues.    

There are a few inconveniences.  The Sabres/MSG is annoying.  They need to get off that platform.  You can only get it through Fubo TV I think.  I watch it on the MSG Go app.  Sports though are these telecoms' last grip on owning the monopoly, so I am not going to allow whoever owns MSG to bully me into paying Spectrum or Directv money.   We watch much less live television like the News, but honestly, I don't see that as a bad thing at all.  

Same here. I haven't had any real problems with DTV and I've had it for many years. Pretty satisfied customer overall, though if there was one thing I didn't like it was the cost and all of the extra crap channels I was paying for.

This past week I decided to cut ties and make the move to YouTube TV. Basically getting everything I had before for about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost. The flexibility is great, and although there are still a number of channels I think are ridiculous to have to pay for, overall I'm pretty happy with it and it's a smooth step up from satellite.

Just a couple of thoughts from a guy who's rapidly becoming a dinosaur, in case there are others who are hesitant about the switch.

I have not any version of cable/satellite for about 8 years and my kids don't care at all. We cycle through the streaming apps a few months at a time, currently I have Paramount plus for $50 for the year and ESPN+ for hockey The only loss is sports but I am ok with only getting stuff from an antenna or going to brothers for Bills games. 

1 hour ago, Rubes said:

Same here. I haven't had any real problems with DTV and I've had it for many years. Pretty satisfied customer overall, though if there was one thing I didn't like it was the cost and all of the extra crap channels I was paying for.

This past week I decided to cut ties and make the move to YouTube TV. Basically getting everything I had before for about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost. The flexibility is great, and although there are still a number of channels I think are ridiculous to have to pay for, overall I'm pretty happy with it and it's a smooth step up from satellite.

Just a couple of thoughts from a guy who's rapidly becoming a dinosaur, in case there are others who are hesitant about the switch.

Did DTV try to keep you at all, and offer anything comparable? 

On 2/3/2023 at 11:06 AM, Buffalo Boy said:

Did exactly the same thing a month ago.

Also cut my land line and use Verizon wireless internet. Net saving of $180 a month!!!

I don’t watch much TV and my wife wanted the Food network . We mostly watch Hulu and Netflix. 
DTV was pretty useless, especially for the money.

So you're getting the YTTV thru wireless?  And no lag or stuttering??

On 2/3/2023 at 11:43 AM, Ned Flanders said:

The only thing keeping the major networks alive is NFL football...the prime time "entertainment" lineups on every major network are garbage, the only shows we DVR are Jeopardy (I'm old) and Law and Order.  However, even the streaming platforms (YouTube TV, Sling, Hulu, etc.) are not the panacea they once were.  "Cord cutting" is a outdated phenomenon, as the streamers continue to raise their rates to nearly equal those of the cable/satellite behemoths....and rate increases can be attributed to the upward climb of sports programming costs.  YTTV just dropped the MLB Network this week and have, in past years, dropped many of the regional sports networks they once carried, i.e. YES and NESN.  We all want more live sports, but the costs are huge, and are, in turn, always passed off to the consumer.

I wonder if one of these days the ESPN's, YES, NESN, etc will off a full stand along version to pay for without needing a cable or streaming platform also?  I'm assuming there is something contractual that prevents that, else many would be offering it.  There's ESPN+ but that's not exactly the same.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

I’m a wealthy entrepreneur and CEO of an emerging oil drilling tool operation distribution outfit.  I light cigars with $100 bills and have 2 private suites in the Paul McGuire suite thing at Highmark. 
Bottom line- price is no object. Whatever YouTube charges is fine with me. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, SoMAn said:

I’m a wealthy entrepreneur and CEO of an emerging oil drilling tool operation distribution outfit.  I light cigars with $100 bills and have 2 private suites in the Paul McGuire suite thing at Highmark. 
Bottom line- price is no object. Whatever YouTube charges is fine with me. 

well good for you being so successful that you light cigars with 100$ bills, maybe try a match or lighter and donate that 100$ bill to someone in need.

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

And no lag or stuttering??

Some buffering🤷‍♂️

YTTV crashed on my TV during the AFC Championship game but I was able to watch it on my phone until I got it up and running.

Judging by SW in game discussions it doesn’t seem like I had lag.

But, I’m only getting 4 g from the tower as I live in the middle of nowhere.

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

well good for you being so successful that you light cigars with 100$ bills, maybe try a match or lighter and donate that 100$ bill to someone in need.

I put a few quarters in the Salvation Army kettle last December. I think I’ve done my part.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 2/3/2023 at 11:20 AM, Nextmanup said:

The NFL would grant exclusive rights to sleep with its mother if the price was high enough.

its crazy to me how a regulated trust can just get away with anti consumer stuff like an exclusive contract.

19 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I wonder if one of these days the ESPN's, YES, NESN, etc will off a full stand along version to pay for without needing a cable or streaming platform also?  I'm assuming there is something contractual that prevents that, else many would be offering it.  There's ESPN+ but that's not exactly the same.

Who knows, but with the NFL keeping the networks afloat, MLB/NHL/NBA will need to do some creative thinking....perhaps take control of all their distribution, sending RSNs to the graveyard.  They all pretty much do that now, except for the local blackouts.  Get rid of the blackouts and for example, sell an MLB package to those who want it via an app like they do now.  

1 hour ago, streetkings01 said:

I’ve had YouTube tv for 2 years now……to keep cost down I share with 4 other people and we all split it $15 per month a piece. 

The members on this board if they wanted to could all pair up 5 at a time and do the same thing to keep the cost low.

I'm guessing they won't allow you to watch on more than one device. I've had Sunday Ticket (the streaming student version) for three years. The first year, I cued up the game on my laptop as a backup and then tried to log in through the FireStick on my TV. It wouldn't let me because I was already logged in on my laptop. Once I logged out there, it let me log in via the FireStick.

It's funny how Netflix is just now cracking down on people sharing one account. Seems like they could have implemented the above from day one.

1 minute ago, WhoTom said:

I'm guessing they won't allow you to watch on more than one device. I've had Sunday Ticket (the streaming student version) for three years. The first year, I cued up the game on my laptop as a backup and then tried to log in through the FireStick on my TV. It wouldn't let me because I was already logged in on my laptop. Once I logged out there, it let me log in via the FireStick.

It's funny how Netflix is just now cracking down on people sharing one account. Seems like they could have implemented the above from day one.

They allow 3 at one time

22 minutes ago, nucci said:

They allow 3 at one time

That’s false…..it’s 5…..been doing it for the past 2 years. They don’t allow more than 3 on the same ip address. Only issues you’ll run into is if a person is in another state, they’ll get an error message every so often. All you have to do is have the main subscriber log in with that persons info and all is well.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I cut out DTV right after the last bills game. Trying the Hulu plus TV bundle now. So, TV, Disney and ESPN for $76 a month. When the Sabres are done for the season, we’re going to try YouTube TV. We’ll see which service we like best.

10 years. Felt so free after pulling all the DTV boxes out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.