NFL grants YouTube TV exclusive NFL Sunday Ticket rights in the US starting in 2023(deal worth $2B+)

Big Turk

On 12/23/2022 at 7:27 AM, SoMAn said:

I'm slightly surprised at the widespread disdain for Directv.

I've had it for around 24 years for the Sunday Ticket.  Living outside of WNY it's been a godsend for this Bills fan.

Customer service has been lat times lousy or great, depending on the rep.  If you know enough to escalate and get past tier 1 customer service, you can usually get a knowledgeable rep who knows how to handle the situation.  Overall, it's no better or worse than any other customer service outlet. 

I've enjoyed a great picture, time-shifting, multiple TVs, plenty of bandwidth for recorded content. Price? I've never had issues negotiating decent deals. I haven't paid for NFL ST in years, and currently pay $70/mo for 3 TV's for a package that includes NFL Network, HBO Max, ESPN, and most of the usual cable home fix it, cooking, and news stations.

I'm not sure streaming will provide all the same benefits.  If I'm busy prior to the start of a game, I have it recorded. I can come in an hour after start time and play from the beginning, skipping through commercials. Can I do that with streaming? Can I access the game again on Tuesday if I feel like watching again, or is that an entirely different service (NFL Game Pass?) I'd have to pay for in addition to NFLST?

As far as streaming goes, I'm skeptical that I'll have the same picture quality and stability I've had with Directv signals. I watched part of a Amazon game and was frustrated by occasional pixilating that interrupted the broadcast.

Don't know if it's just fashionable to hate Directv, but my personal experiences are mostly positive.  Wait until your internet service goes out one of these gamedays.

It's too much of a multi-year commitment when all you want is the NFL games.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

Post the bill because I call complete BS on this price. Your equipment fees and taxes alone with 3 TVs is going to run you a minimum of $30 depending on you equipment. You obviously don't have genie2 system because that would run you about minimum $40 in equipment alone for 3 TV.

It's possible you have a short term discount you just got after overpaying. Even so that price is just not possible with what DTV does now. 

As for DTV their costs are horrendous, their service is less reliable than streaming, can't tell you how many times the satellite has gone out due to storms or DVR recordings murdered by a storm. Rain clouds roll in and buy bye... this is with updated latest and greatest 4k equip since i moved not long ago. 

Since AT&T bought them their pricing and customer service have gone to hell and they have competely stopped investing in technology. Their tech in my 12 or so years with them has gone from leading class to stale and behind order major providers. 

I was previously a critic of streaming platforms for live sports because the deliverability just wasn't there but the past couple years man has that really improved, streaming now putting DTV in the dirt. The deliverability and quality of the Amazon streams this year was outstanding. 

I can't wait to dump DTV later this month. 

The cost is ridiculous. I cancelled last week and now use Youtube TV. Without the Ticket and discounts my bill was about $180. Youtube tv is $65 with same channels

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

It's too much of a multi-year commitment when all you want is the NFL games.

commitment?  I have the option to cancel Directv at any time without further obligation. 

If I lived alone and only needed one or two TVs, I might be content with over the air and the numerous streaming options, but as I stated in earlier post, DTV has several features that appeal to me and work well multiple rooms and with our family's viewing habits.

As far as cost goes, just wait until all the streaming services have you thoroughly hooked - guarantee you'll see more advertising and escalating monthly fees.  I can't believe Netflix is still commercial-free. It's only a matter of time before we start getting regular interruptions for ads. Remember when there weren't ads on Youtube? Then there was only a quick/short one. Now, there are often 2 or 3 before you can get to the content you're accessing.

We are marketed to death!

Edited by SoMAn

7 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

commitment?  I have the option to cancel Directv at any time without further obligation. 

If I lived alone and only needed one or two TVs, I might be content with over the air and the numerous streaming options, but as I stated in earlier post, DTV has several features that appeal to me and work well multiple rooms and with our family's viewing habits.

As far as cost goes, just wait until all the streaming services have you thoroughly hooked - guarantee you'll see more advertising and escalating monthly fees.  I can't believe Netflix is still commercial-free. It's only a matter of time before we start getting regular interruptions for ads. Remember when there weren't ads on Youtube? Then there was only a quick/short one. Now, there are often 2 or 3 before you can get to the content you're accessing.

Correct on no commitment. I had directv over 20 years and I can no longer justify the cost. I switched to youtube TV which is $65/month. All live channels you need, unlimited DVR. Can view on multiple TVs at same time. Just added Disney bundle for $12.99/month - Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+. I'm getting more than I ever did with directv for $78/month while I was paying almost $180 for directv. Just something to look in to.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/22/2022 at 9:54 AM, Big Turk said:

Yes, but with so many free options to stream unsure why anyone would pay for it.

if you live out of market and want to reliably not have to worry about waking up Sundays to a "domain seized" and FBI logo is why i do it LOL

i did always find someone enrolled in school and it was like 125 for the year, hoping Youtube keeps that going but i def have my doubts they will!

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

To each his own, but I have nearly every streaming service available (Apple TV+ and Acorn are the only two I can think of I don't have) plus Spectrum via the TV app on Roku which is even better than owning the box because it come through in 4K content, where the box is compressed to 720p at best. I pay premium for all streaming services and that's why you pay the premium, to avoid ads. I don't see one, at all. Now, you can argue I'm nuts to spend all that money on all those services, but IMO, it's worth it. I have the 500mbps service through Spectrum, and a wifi-6 mesh router with a satellite. My main OLED tv is connected via ethernet and my other OLED tvs go via wifi and everything is in stunning picture and quality and I wouldn't change a thing. 

I experimented with YouTube t.v. and personally, I liked it. The wife didn't because the ONE channel they're missing, is the ONE channel she said she must have - A&E. Hulu has A&E, but not live and not with DVR service, so that's my hang up, but with the Spectrum TV app on a Roku, which is also hardwired to main tv, is the best experience I've had with Spectrum, and those greedy S.O.B.s roast my chestnuts. 

So, while I understand the reluctance, and it can take some getting used to for moving or flipping between stations or streaming mediums, the quality for the price can't be beat. Peacock is $100 for the year and that's their premium service and the same for Paramount+, which carries the local Bills games. During the playoffs when the Bills played on CBS, the games were just visually impressive and because of the high bandwidth, there was no pixelation or stutter, it was beautiful. Until they lost....but alas, this is just a really long, way too long, way of saying cost isn't super expensive with premium tiers and you avoid the ads and get better quality, just something to consider. 

On 12/22/2022 at 10:45 AM, BillyBilliams said:

you’re right.  I absolutely love having to click down the rabbit hole for streams, clicking 4 times to get rid of the ads, infecting my computer with malware, and realizing after those 4 clicks that it buffers horrifically and you have to do the same thing for another illegal stream.  That stuff is just way better than turning your TV on to the channel and it just plays 🤷🏻‍♂️

"You wont last 3 minutes with this game"  😆

23 minutes ago, nucci said:

Correct on no commitment. I had directv over 20 years and I can no longer justify the cost. I switched to youtube TV which is $65/month. All live channels you need, unlimited DVR. Can view on multiple TVs at same time. Just added Disney bundle for $12.99/month - Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+. I'm getting more than I ever did with directv for $78/month while I was paying almost $180 for directv. Just something to look in to.

I also went with YTTV after the season; however, earlier this week, they dropped the MLB Network, a mainstay for me.  Not very happy with them right now.

37 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

Used to have to sign a contract 

On 12/23/2022 at 11:07 AM, ColoradoBills said:

You've been lucky to have a positive experience with Directv.  As for internet going down, I've been streaming for years and never have

many issues with that.  Living in Colorado I lost signal from Directv much more often than losing internet due to snow and rain.

Yeah, my family always had issues with snow and rain. Way more often than any internet streaming issues. Not sure what people are talking about.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

I also went with YTTV after the season; however, earlier this week, they dropped the MLB Network, a mainstay for me.  Not very happy with them right now.

yeah, just got that email...kinda sucks but guessing it'll be back soon

As i said before ONLY reason I am still not a DTV subscriber is because i get free TV as part of my HOA dues today.   I keep the service until the NFLST decision was made hoping DTV Sat would be bale to offer.  Once it was clear they would not it was time to say goodbye.   The DVR and its PIP function came in very handy watching games plus I could have 2 on in PIP mode while watching another on my iPad while in the background on another receiver have another game on.  It was a sad day with ATT purchased them no loner the small cordial company they once were.  Weather was an issue at times but in the last few years it would downgrade ya to SD version of the channel and could continue watching.   My Bill was about 108 a month for 4 TV, DVR and HD.  HBOX Max was free with the level I had.   The DVR ability to commercial skip was something I loved for non live TV viewing.  The spectrum DVR I have now sucks but my spectrum bill is 14$ a month use their app in other rooms in the house.   Whats weird the app lets me watch channels that my live of service doesnt via the DVR smh

1 hour ago, nucci said:

This describes what I did perfectly. Only reason I had DTV all those years was the ticket. Could no longer justify the cost. Even with the discounts. I bailed the day after the season ended and I no longer needed them. For the $, I think YTTV is great so far and is more than what I need. When I built my house, I ran data drops to just about every room, so I can hardwire in all my TVs. Even on Wifi it works great. 

• Like (+1) 1

I wonder if you'll have to fill out an application and prove your "eligibility" to pay hundreds of dollars for this service?

OR

Will you just be able to pay whatever price they set and get it, no questions asked? 

DirectTV is the dumbest company I've ever done business with, so I'm glad to see the ticket elsewhere. Luckily we're in WNY so RedZone plus the Bills games is all we need, but when we were out of state it was a pain to see Bills games. 

I was a DTV subscriber for years.  I did appreciate the ability to speak to a friendly person every year, and get my bill down to a reasonable amount, and also some free premium stations for a few months.  

AT&T took over and all the charm went away.  They acted like all the other telecoms.  They had me and would take whatever $ they could get away with.  I looked at my bill.  Im 'renting' about $40 in equipment alone every month, along with all sorts of other service fees for those.  Plus the service itself.  Why am I doing this?

About 2015, we took the plunge and went all streaming.  I'll never go back.  I tried both Hulu Live and YouTube TV.  YouTube TV is a little better, mainly due to the interface.  We have Netflix, and my Verizon Phone plan includes Hulu, ESPN+, and Disney+.  We do not have a TV subscription service at this time.  I borrow my FIL's Spectrum password and can log into any of the apps to get content and live TV.   My TV consumption has turned into a life of 'on-demand'.  Its liberating in my busy life.  Any of these services, you can just subscribe to, or cancel with the click of a button.  No annoying retention, no contracts, no difficulty.   You can also just log in and watch TV from any device you have.  

We did beef up our Spectrum Internet and purchased a good modem and router (so we dont have to lease them from Spectrum).  We have had 3+ TVs, phones, tablets all on at once and never have we had any sort of internet issues.    

There are a few inconveniences.  The Sabres/MSG is annoying.  They need to get off that platform.  You can only get it through Fubo TV I think.  I watch it on the MSG Go app.  Sports though are these telecoms' last grip on owning the monopoly, so I am not going to allow whoever owns MSG to bully me into paying Spectrum or Directv money.   We watch much less live television like the News, but honestly, I don't see that as a bad thing at all.  

Edited by May Day 10

Yesterday was our first day in 23 years without Directv.  Kind of weird, like the end of an era.

No hard feelings toward DTV at all.  They provided a good product with good service, albeit at a somewhat high price point.  It's just that aside from live sports, I can't understand why anybody would want a service that requires to you to tune in at specific times to watch the shows you want, with commercials included.  That business model isn't going to survive the 2020s.  It's barely alive now.  DTV and the networks just offer an objectively inferior product when compared to any decent streaming service. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.