NFL grants YouTube TV exclusive NFL Sunday Ticket rights in the US starting in 2023(deal worth $2B+)

Big Turk

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

NFL Reddit Streams online

If you are going to DVR it why not just get NFL+? It's far cheaper.

you’re right.  I absolutely love having to click down the rabbit hole for streams, clicking 4 times to get rid of the ads, infecting my computer with malware, and realizing after those 4 clicks that it buffers horrifically and you have to do the same thing for another illegal stream.  That stuff is just way better than turning your TV on to the channel and it just plays 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I totally agree, they will squeeze it the best way they can.  Hopefully they realize that getting people on YouTube TV may not be the best method (I may revert to sports bar).  I was one of the few that could not have a dish on the house and have the Direct TV streaming, so I did that plus Fubo.  I'd pay 300-400 for it separately.  While that sounds insane, it's like 17-20 per week, so better than going to a sports bar.  

I signed up for the crappy DTV service and paid for the ticket (sometimes free, usually reduced) but I never would have had DTV if it was not for sunday ticket, will be cancelling soon and cannot wait.  We will pay whoever has it LOL.   The other thing is the "other streaming options" which are out there.  If they charge too much people may be more willing to go that route.  I would expect Google to put a big effort in to shut those down.

A couple of questions that will need to be ironed out before September:

Will Red Zone be included in the new ST?  YTTV now has Red Zone but it's part of a premier add-on package.

Will there be college student discounts available as is now the case with DTV?

Will games be available ala-carte?  This sounds less likely given the preliminary information we've gotten today.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

$65/month for a bunch of cable channels?  That's garbage.  HBO Max is one-fourth the price and has far better content.

HBO Max also doesn’t do live TV.  If you want to binge watch the same shows that’s one thing, but I like watching TV.  HBO Max doesn’t have everything you need.  They only have what they negotiated for.  This is why there are so many different streaming services.  When it’s all said and done, you’d need Hulu, Discovery Plus, Disney Plus, Netflix, Peacock, and HBO Max all together so you don’t get burned out on the content, and you STILL don’t have live programming.  All those together is more than the $65 per month YTV offers

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Logic said:

Do any of the "free" options consistently work throughout the entire stream, though? No freezing, no excessive buffering, that kind of nonsense?

I'm legitimately asking, because I've been paying for NFL Gamepass for the past few years to ensure that I get high video quality and that the game actually works and doesn't have all sorts of tech hiccups.

In your experience, are the free streams actually GOOD?

yes, i have a source. i will send it to you

• Thank you (+1) 3

This is awesome news.  No hardware needed (maybe a firestick if you don't have a smart TV).  No hardware rental fees.  One thing with DTV, a lot of areas you needed a dish as you wouldn't be approved for just the streaming service in certain areas and they required you to have a dish (happened to me this year actually).  Who knows if they will require you to be a YTTV subscriber, they may offer it as a separate service.

Who knows yet what their pricing will be.  They could do tiers.  X amount of games per week for X amount of price and then offer a full package price.  Also, YTTV is a great TV service which allows for local channels in most places.  It's cheaper than cable and no extra hardware needed.

As for a few seconds of delay time, really?  Most services outside of an antenna have a delay of some sort.  I don't mind being 30 seconds behind real time.  Are we really that hell bent on a fractional time differential?  

YTTV allows for unlimited DVR'ing.  If they allow DVR'ing for the games that's also a huge value added service.

This seems like a huge win for football fans.  Of course, we'll have to see the pricing, but there seems to be a lot more upside over DTV just with this announcement. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Article says DirecTV Red Zone may be axed, not Red Zone entirely, as the NFL has this product as well.

I'd be fine with that...Siciliano talks over the game announcers way too much, and I find it especially annoying when they have multiple games up on the screen.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Why are they worried about affordable and that could lead to nightmare programming issues.

It is easier for the company to charge a flat all or nothing rate and make it sound cheaper - they can say 240 games for $300 - so $1.25 a game - knowing you are only watching 20-40 games.

I guess I see your point here

2 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Article says DirecTV Red Zone may be axed, not Red Zone entirely, as the NFL has this product as well.

I'd be fine with that...Siciliano talks over the game announcers way too much, and I find it especially annoying when they have multiple games up on the screen.

I've been told by others the NFL red zone is much better

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, transient said:

You could always stream the Sabres games on ESPN+ for $10/mo. I'm out of market, though, so I don't know if they'd end up being blacked out in the local viewing area. You can select which broadcast you want. You get the intermission reports, but you don't get the pre- and post game stuff.

YouTube TV does not carry MSG in my market Erie, PA. And I can confirm Sabres are blacked out on ESPN+ since Erie is in that markets radius (which is bs since no one here offers MSG except DTV). There are workarounds via geo-changing, but it's a huge pita.

46 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yes there are many free options, but they all more of a pain to implement and sometimes don't work flawlessly, ie: spooking IP, using illegal streaming sites. 

As someone who lives outside the western NY viewing area I've used these methods to watch any and all games and while they've always ultimately worked, it's not without some fussing.

Overall the answer will be depends on the price, if they make it real expensive then would still use the other methods, but I'd pay maybe $300 to $400 for the convenience.

same here. the “free streams” are all illegal. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.