NFL grants YouTube TV exclusive NFL Sunday Ticket rights in the US starting in 2023(deal worth $2B+)

Big Turk

5 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

if you don't live in Buffalo, how else do you get the non prime-time games (which, this year, were very few!) 

NFL Reddit Streams online

Just now, muppy said:

I have a ready answer for why out of staters pay for the NFL Sunday ticket.

It is so we can DVR. It is dependable aka one less thing to have to worry about needing to take care of, AND the Red Zone options.

If you are going to DVR it why not just get NFL+? It's far cheaper.

• Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Unfortunately, Google will probably monetize this better than DirecTV did.  There will not be a "retention department" to call.

Anyone expecting some kind of ala carte thing will be disappointed.   The value of Sunday ticket is fans out of the market of their team....that is what will generate money.  They "give" you everything even though you can only watch one 1PM and one 4PM game.  

That is not true - we have myltiple direct TV receivers and run up up 6 games during the day with multiple TVs and using the IPad for my daughter away at college.

Plus as a long time member they parse it out and typically give us it for free or with other discounts without ever asking.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

What do you mean 10 games? If people wanted to, they could pay $10.99 for any game they want each week. If fans chose to do that each week, that's $180 for 18 weeks. Some people may pay for 2 games a week. It would be more affordable to everyone this way

$180 for 18 weeks....but you would skip some weeks right, for isntance the BIlls on Sunday night, Thursday night, Monday night or national window or you have things going on that weekend.   Directv sold it for $300 and it was a big loser for them.  The contract is costing Google more than DTV was paying, I dont think Google will lose money like DTV did, that means it will come from the consumer.   Maybe there are more consumers now so the price can be less per but they are doing this to make money.  

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

NFL Reddit Streams online

If you are going to DVR it why not just get NFL+? It's far cheaper.

well noone knows yet how much this new deal will cost. What I used to do is moot at this point

But in some way form or fashion I WILL have my Bills away season tickets. Non negotiable 🙂

9 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

How is YouTube TV wildly overpriced?  My cable service cost more and then you had all the additional broadcast fees on top of it.  It's easily the best streaming TV service available at the moment.

$65/month for a bunch of cable channels?  That's garbage.  HBO Max is one-fourth the price and has far better content.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

this is true, although Google will probably offer some sorts of discounts tied to other things, as well as having a better online platform.  I'm just hoping we can get Sunday Ticket separate from having to get YouTube TV.  I have Fubo, that has my regional sports network here, allowing me to get Pens games, and ACC sports.  

THey also will have more people to sell to, lots of people did not want a dish on their house.  So maybe there is an opportunity for a la carte.  All I am saying, is google will be looking to make money on the $2billion each year.   DTV used it as a lost leader and in the end it may have worked for a while but it ultimately failed.

9 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

if you don't live in Buffalo, how else do you get the non prime-time games (which, this year, were very few!) 

I had been watching the ones in the beginning of the year on Paramount+ using a VPN, but I think they changed up the way the system determines which market games you get.

I think they changed it to your billing address rather than your geolocation because my VPN option doesn't work any longer...at least the last time I tried.

5 minutes ago, nucci said:

They are paying $2.5B for this. We're not going to get special pricing. We will need to get youtube TV

That's what I would think, but apparently not:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/22/business/youtube-nfl-sunday-ticket.html

The games will be available as an add-on to YouTube TV, the company’s $64.99 streaming package, or available for purchase separately through its YouTube Primetime Channels, another product.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

They should just sell games individually for $10.99 each week or something like that and you can pick and choose which ones you want, instead of forcing people to pay hundreds of dollars a year

Nah, I'm good lol

10.99 x 17 games is still $186.83 for the year to only be able to watch 1 game a week but only for 17 weeks ($197.82 for 18 weeks of football but only 1 game a week).  So for the extra $113.17 you get all of the games.  I don’t see how you think that’s an outrageous price?    

My only issue is the 30 second delay streaming has, and the fact that a lot of places, especially rural areas in the middle of the country, doesn’t have the strong enough internet service to run everything properly.  

My parents live in the middle of nowhere Missouri.  Their best internet plan is 100Mbps where they get a 30Mbps down and a 10 Mbps up.  It’s really hard to stream 4K content while still being able to use other devices for the home.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

$65/month for a bunch of cable channels?  That's garbage.  HBO Max is one-fourth the price and has far better content.

It's not garbage if you are comparing it to other cable/streaming tv services.

If people want cable, they are paying for it either from the cable company or services like YouTube TV.  HBO Max is not part of that equation and is an apples and oranges comparison.

Good luck watching college football on the ESPN and regional sports networks on HBO Max.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

there is always a delay unless you are at the game in-person.  Streaming has a longer delay, causes some chat room confusion sometimes, but others you know an awesome play--or horrendous play, or someone writes something ambiguous--is coming up.  

About a month ago, I was talking to my brother while he was watching the Bills game locally on YTTV and I was watching the game via ST here in Virginia.  I was about a play ahead of him at the time...I yelled when the Bills intercepted and he hadn't yet seen the play.

A couple of weeks ago when the Bills were on Amazon, I had to watch the first few minutes on my phone, got back to the house and the phone was more than a play ahead of the TV...weird.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Matt_In_NH said:

THey also will have more people to sell to, lots of people did not want a dish on their house.  So maybe there is an opportunity for a la carte.  All I am saying, is google will be looking to make money on the $2billion each year.   DTV used it as a lost leader and in the end it may have worked for a while but it ultimately failed.

I totally agree, they will squeeze it the best way they can.  Hopefully they realize that getting people on YouTube TV may not be the best method (I may revert to sports bar).  I was one of the few that could not have a dish on the house and have the Direct TV streaming, so I did that plus Fubo.  I'd pay 300-400 for it separately.  While that sounds insane, it's like 17-20 per week, so better than going to a sports bar.  

7 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

That is not true - we have myltiple direct TV receivers and run up up 6 games during the day with multiple TVs and using the IPad for my daughter away at college.

Plus as a long time member they parse it out and typically give us it for free or with other discounts without ever asking.

I understand you can watch them all, most people do not, you are a bit of an outlier.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Anyone know if YouTube TV has MSG for Sabres games? One of the reasons I am with FUBO is because it’s one of the only ones I’ve found with our Buffalo MSG. 

17 minutes ago, Beast said:

It doesn’t.

You could always stream the Sabres games on ESPN+ for $10/mo. I'm out of market, though, so I don't know if they'd end up being blacked out in the local viewing area. You can select which broadcast you want. You get the intermission reports, but you don't get the pre- and post game stuff.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

What do you mean 10 games? If people wanted to, they could pay $10.99 for any game they want each week. If fans chose to do that each week, that's $180 for 18 weeks. Some people may pay for 2 games a week. It would be more affordable to everyone this way

Why are they worried about affordable and that could lead to nightmare programming issues.

It is easier for the company to charge a flat all or nothing rate and make it sound cheaper - they can say 240 games for $300 - so $1.25 a game - knowing you are only watching 20-40 games.

5 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

I had been watching the ones in the beginning of the year on Paramount+ using a VPN, but I think they changed up the way the system determines which market games you get.

I think they changed it to your billing address rather than your geolocation because my VPN option doesn't work any longer...at least the last time I tried.

Mine still works on the computer with Firefox plus “location guard”

• Like (+1) 1

Ive tried all or most of the diff streaming services at 1 time or another. Sling had some hiccups ( a few years back might be fixed), but youtube TV aside from the cost was pretty flawless. Oddly, the only streams that were shoddy were the live streams on Prime.

This probably spells the end for DirecTV.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.