Sean McDermott - master of the saying nothing

Dan Darragh

When you watch Sean's press conferences and sideline interviews, if you actually listen to what he says he seems to have mastered the art of the nonanswer.  Now that I've started paying attention to it I find it pretty funny.

Here's Laura Okmin's sideline interview with Sean after the first quarter of the Miami game:

• Laura: Mostert with over 100 yards.  How do you stop the run?
  • Sean: We gotta do a better job, playing with gap integrity, getting to the ball and tackling.
  • Laura: I know you weren’t happy with that penalty right now. Big thing you were talking about, cleaning up penalties, fundamentals.  How do you feel right now about that?
  • Sean: Oh, we gotta do a better job obviously here.
  • Laura: And offensively, Sean, you weren’t out there long but enough for Morris to get his first touchdown. Key to that drive to keep doing to keep that momentum going?
  • Sean: I just think get into a rhythm offensively helps us.

Frankly I love it.  I'd prefer this to Mike McDaniel who talked so much between periods that they had to put him in a little box at the corner of the screen se we could see the actual game. Sean gives up nothing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 5

44 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

The NFL requiring coaches and players to talk to the media is dumb. 98% of the time it's just bull coach speak that people over analyze and lose their minds over.  

especially during the games now. Those sideline interviews are such useless interviews. McDermott gives one-word answers. Mike McDaniel spat out a bunch of gibberish that no one understood. Just let these guys coach. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Good coaches say virtually nothing to reporters, the Bills have professionals running the show now, I do agree with the OP, it’s kind of funny, and a learning opportunity, 😁

• Like (+1) 1

I don't mind his press conferences.  Not sure what he is supposed to say about stopping the run game, he said play with gap integrity and tackle better...both are true.

He rarely calls players to the carpet unless its warranted but when he does he does it respectfully.   He does what a head coach is supposed to, he puts the blame on his shoulders first.

Maybe not flashy, but he realizes how hard the NFL is.  He doesn't give up roster plans, schemes, or try to give the other team bulletin board material.  All good things.  He has also taught his players the same.   Love the way Coach goes about his business.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I don't mind his press conferences.  Not sure what he is supposed to say about stopping the run game, he said play with gap integrity and tackle better...both are true.

He rarely calls players to the carpet unless its warranted but when he does he does it respectfully.   He does what a head coach is supposed to, he puts the blame on his shoulders first.

Maybe not flashy, but he realizes how hard the NFL is.  He doesn't give up roster plans, schemes, or try to give the other team bulletin board material.  All good things.  He has also taught his players the same.   Love the way Coach goes about his business.

You mean other than that time he blamed "execution" to hide from the fact his cowardice led to that disaster in KC 11 months ago?

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Yah, but he's the best clapper in the league 

An old technique to keep someone from reaching for their wallet...🤔

I worked with a heavy industrial vehicle mechanic who had a separate shop onsite, with its own office and storeroom.  It's also where Andy parked his impressive roll cab toolbox.  Anyone entering there was under orders from Andy to be clapping the entire time. 😁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
The 'Andy' story. 😁
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.