Wouldn't It Be Cool If Knox Keeps Emerging?

Richard Noggin

If you want Knox to reach his potential you need to upgrade the o-line.  He's been overused as a blocker and it has him on a receiving production trajectory that looks more like Charles Clay's glory days here than a TJ Hockenson (who I think he most resembles).  We need him to get close to Hockenson's production to justify that contract.  He's perfectly capable as he's just as athletic.  Just needs to see more targets.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Exactly what this offense has been searching for the 2nd half of the season, and one would hope what the organization envisioned when giving him a handsome extension: a dangerous mismatch for defenses devoting extra attention to Diggs. While Davis, understandably, suddenly became everyone's favorite WR2 prospect following his historic KC playoff explosion, I'd argue that Knox breaking out would be even more beneficial. 

Contrary to many of our well-honed eye tests, Davis IS having a pretty solid WR2 season (minus catch %). But man how great it would be if Knox continues to ascend.

Here is Erik Turner's breakdown of Knox's night against Miami:

Most analysts are comparing us to offenses who are hard to stop when they get a viable third option.  For example miami with their two wrs and now running backs / game   ( btw even rexy and that group said that loss was on the fins coach for not calling runs on three critical  third downs and they said the bills were out coached and game planned that night !   Also they see the bengals with chase , Higgins , and mixon as more dangerous than the bills current offense.  It’s true. Josh / Diggs are superstars and hard to stop. We need that running back as opposed to knox to have a consistent run  game to really close out games and make the o less predictable. Plus they were very critical of Mcd having been there over 5 years and not having stabilized the o line.  Those are fair critiques , so don’t rip me. 

Beane / Mcd have to address theses issues as we have seen teams close the gap , and these people are even predicting cincy gets the 1 seed which would be no small matter.this year ! They do have injury issues now so that evens things a little. But while we have Josh , they do need to fix this o as it’s not as supportive for josh  or as good as it COULD BE.  We have the qb to be unstoppable and yes we lost three games by 8 points , but only one of those type losses in the playoffs keeps you from a Lombardi!  We should not delude ourselves , this o is having problems and without Josh , we are an average team ( not my words , from Rex and Pats ex LB. )   Others noticing we were out coached by younger less tenured coaching staffs may be valid that  our chance to be that dynasty we deserve to see while we have Josh , who we waited for over 17 years, could be being mishandled. I think they made fair points.  A loss is a loss regardless of margin and yet we have the qb and  the potential to be dominant.

Buffalo shouldn’t waste this time , as we can’t not progress as the others may move past us. Mcd being a d minded coach , drafting that way, needs to re think how to be the best version of this team.  Just opinions from others as we squeaked out a win Saturday. I love Mcd as the ciach to lead thus franchisee forward , but it is concerning watching first year guys compete already with his roster. I hope he and Beane learn you can dominate with this qb with a great offense and nit keep so focused on drafting so much defensively oriented !  

While Knox has been unpredictable this season, it’s important to note that our average at best OL has endured many missed games due to injury, which has forced the Tight End to chip block at least, if not stay blocking at the LOS. This has more to do with a noticeable drop in offensive production and shines an even brighter spotlight on the inconsistencies of Davis and McKenzie. Dawson hasn’t really helped either when he does break from the line -with multiple drops. Thus, Cole & Smoke have been plucked from graveyard shift stock boys at Topps Friendly Markets to try to find the fountain of youth now. We’ve already blown 3 great seasons as a top tier team. The rest of the Conference is catching up. So it’s imperative the Bills perform consistently going forward. 

This may also be a bigger commitment to use the TE by Dorsey and Allen. Morris has developed and has also proven he is reliable and more athletic than I thought when he is thrown at; for example, the TD catch on Saturday.

I hope Saturday's game is an indicator of better things to come in how we use these guys in the passing game (I would add Gilliam, though not a true TE, he is used like one often and is also a decent pass catcher).

9 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Exactly what this offense has been searching for the 2nd half of the season, and one would hope what the organization envisioned when giving him a handsome extension: a dangerous mismatch for defenses devoting extra attention to Diggs. While Davis, understandably, suddenly became everyone's favorite WR2 prospect following his historic KC playoff explosion, I'd argue that Knox breaking out would be even more beneficial. 

Contrary to many of our well-honed eye tests, Davis IS having a pretty solid WR2 season (minus catch %). But man how great it would be if Knox continues to ascend.

He better or it was a waste of 45 million dollars. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, CSBill said:

This may also be a bigger commitment to use the TE by Dorsey and Allen. Morris has developed and has also proven he is reliable and more athletic than I thought when he is thrown at; for example, the TD catch on Saturday.

I hope Saturday's game is an indicator of better things to come in how we use these guys in the passing game (I would add Gilliam, though not a true TE, he is used like one often and is also a decent pass catcher).

Love Morris.  I’m hoping that we go to more 2TE looks and utilize him more.  He’s got some juice and is a matchup problem vs safeties and some WRs.  He dusted Javon Holland for the TD

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I don't think it's a coincidence that our Offense starts figuring things out when Josh Allen is given free reign to run.  

We have an average OL, average running backs and above average/not elite receiving weaponry.  

When teams have to be mindful of gap integrity because Allen may just take off.. the OL looks better. 

When teams are worried of Allen as a runner, the RB's look better.   

When teams are worried of Allen as a runner, the passing game opens up for guys like Knox and Davis.

This could also be accomplished with a better OL, better conventional running game and/or more investment in weaponry... but as it stands, Allen is what opens all that up when he's unleashed. 

While looking at the receiver numbers a few weeks ago, it was a little surprising to see that Knox is allowed the most cushion, gets the most separation, and has the highest catch % of all Bills receivers.

He's been available pretty much all season and it only requires a conscious decision by Dorsey and Allen to use him. As it stands, he's an underrated weapon heading into the playoffs and primed for a good run if they make him a focus of the offense alongside Diggs.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I would LOVE for him to grow as a player, his contract says that's 100% expected and required of him. As a team we need that too.

When he gets the 2nd 100 yard game of his career I will be very excited, and hopefully many more. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.