Spencer Brown Dolphins Game

Ethan in Cleveland

25 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

His athletic ability is not in question. Size, strength, speed, agility -- He has it all. If he ever puts it all together, look out. But will he?

Agree! Hopefully he keeps moving in the right direction and becomes a consistent and reliable force on that right side. I would guess, because of his size he will always have some trouble with smaller quicker outside rushers (but then again, who doesn't?). However, if he can keep learning how to neutralize them with quickness and smarter play, the potential is there. And, others have said, I love his nastiness--that is always a bonus for an O-Lineman.

• Like (+1) 1

Brown still has that baby deer thing going on. He is so long and athletic, it is easy to get out of whack in terms of chain and technique. I think at the very least he becomes a Mike McGlinchey type. But these long athletic guys just take longer sometimes because they have to be very sound to generate power and leverage. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Brown is a nasty,athletic monster that will be a dominant tackle in a short period of time. He is a road grader and his optimistic upside is that he will be consistent pass protector. I’ll take this guy going forward and concentrate on a center and guard in the off-season 

He seems completely physically dominant at times, similar to Jordan Phillips.  If those two guys could gain some consistency, it would be something

8 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Spencer Brown had off season back surgery and it seems he's finally returning to form just in time for the playoffs.

Ike Boettger is back and if Morse is healthy, I feel pretty good about our o-line's chances of protecting Josh.

Yeah if we can take care of business last 3 games and lock up Home Field throughout, getting that week off will definitely help our chances we can get the entire OL healthy and ready to go for the playoffs.

Because we have seen how it looks when some are missing

Edited by Patrick Duffy
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, 947 said:

I noticed he was solid this week too, it's been a while since that could be said. I have to wonder if his back was still not 100% most of the year & is now getting there.

Brown got off to a slow start but then just as he was gaining some form he hurt his ankle. I am hoping he is getting healthy again and his play improves 

• 1 month later...

I bring up Spencer Brown because this dude needs to be careful after the whistle.  There has been a few games this season and recently (Miami last week) where he was getting into it after a play ends and borderline getting a 15 yarder.  He's been 3rd man in a few times on scuffles and had to be pulled back.  He's physical, and a hot head, which can be good during the play, but not afterwards.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I bring up Spencer Brown because this dude needs to be careful after the whistle.  There has been a few games this season and recently (Miami last week) where he was getting into it after a play ends and borderline getting a 15 yarder.  He's been 3rd man in a few times on scuffles and had to be pulled back.  He's physical, and a hot head, which can be good during the play, but not afterwards.

Yeah I agree. He is always late to hit a guy in the pile after the whistle blows. Sometimes diving on the pile. So far he has gotten away with it. Worry about a flag or injuring one of our own guys. Pretty sure he almost took out Diggs last week with a late diving block. Diggs had to jump and roll over to avoid a nasty leg whip. 

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Yeah I agree. He is always late to hit a guy in the pile after the whistle blows. Sometimes diving on the pile. So far he has gotten away with it. Worry about a flag or injuring one of our own guys. Pretty sure he almost took out Diggs last week with a late diving block. Diggs had to jump and roll over to avoid a nasty leg whip. 

Yup.  he is straddling the line of getting hit with an untimely 15 yarder that could cost us dearly.  It's one thing when a player is the 3rd man in on a scuffle to be the peacemaker and pull guys back.  Brown goes in wanting to F* someone up!  He's a gigantic dude and I'm not sure he has any impulse control...  Hopefully McD has gotten through. 

On 12/20/2022 at 9:54 AM, MrEpsYtown said:

Brown still has that baby deer thing going on. He is so long and athletic, it is easy to get out of whack in terms of chain and technique. I think at the very least he becomes a Mike McGlinchey type. But these long athletic guys just take longer sometimes because they have to be very sound to generate power and leverage. 

Yeah I think that seemed a given when we saw him play early last season.    Very high ceiling.   But since his back issues became publicized and he started missing time his trajectory in pass pro has flatlined.  Contrary to his RAS profile his feet are lethargic at the snap and that can be very much a result of back pain and stiffness.

I mentioned in another thread that, either way, he might be a RT only.   The Bills tried to move Erik Pears to G in 2014 and he basically spent the season getting jacked up and pushed into the backfield.   Niners moved him back to RT and he finished out his career with 16 starts at RT in 2015.    

• Agree 1

On 12/19/2022 at 3:09 PM, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

He's been inconsistent, some games pretty good, other games bad, but the posters who want something to complain about, will view every game as poor.  There's another whole thread about the line and how terrible he is and needs to be replaced next season.

Correct me if I’m wolfing but I believe he was very inconsistent last season as well

It seems to me that the Bills have to draft a starting day 1 RG early in the draft.

They also need to draft a future replacement for Morse a couple of rounds later.

Throw in a WR and S and the top 4 rounds are covered, and you can't rely on any of the later rounds will be starters.

Trying to draft a RT too just seems to be too much.  If Morse is injured, you can't have the entire C/RG/RT all be rookies.

It's not going to happen.

Spencer Brown needs to improve, and I think he has a good chance to do that.  He will be the Bills starting RT going into the 2023 season.

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, zow2 said:

No doubt.  Especially considering his play on the field. If he’s a penalty risk out there, we should put quessenberry in. We should probably put him in anyway

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.