Packers release Sammy Watkins

HappyDays

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

Is he better than Tanner Gentry ?

Yeah, I'm guessing the answer is no.

I have always sort of assumed that Gentry was a Josh Allen favor. I think they were college roommates and their wives are really good friends.

There was some hope early on that bringing him in could help Allen develop some timing and confidence early on by recreating their college connection. But other than that there is nothing NFL worthy about Tanner Gentry and when he is done in Buffalo his career is likely over.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BruceVilanch said:

I really really thought we were trading up to get Khalil. I still can't believe we traded up for Watkins.

And Khalil Mack would have been a very good fit here.  He's a Buffalo guy.  I don't know if I'd have liked them trading a 2nd 1st for him at the time, but as a person and player we'd have likely won that KC game if he was a Bill.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

How can anyone seriously want to bring this guy back to Buffalo?   

Each Sammy Watkins career touchdown has cost 2 million dollars in salary lol.   

I don't think anybody wants to seriously do anything. I believe if we were to put in a waiver claim we have to put him right on the 53. I have no interest in doing that and I doubt anybody else does either. But if he clears waivers, I wouldn't be opposed to putting him on the practice squad. 

But our WR group right now is Diggs, Davis, Mckenzie (current whipping boy), Beasley (out of retirement), Shakir, and Brown (out of retirement). We could use some help.

Remember when more than half the board went apoplectic when Beane traded him away?  

It was funny watching many of the posters go through all these mental gymnastics attempting to make excuses for Watkins health and lack of production years after he had left.

I would say that we put a flyer for him and get him on PS but the fact that WR needy GB is cutting him I think pretty much says he’s about done.

Beane’s trade ended up being brilliant.

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

After watching the Bucs yesterday i couldn't help but think if the Bills had not traded up for Watkins and instead had taken Evans would it have made a difference. Probably not, I suppose, given that EJ would have gotten Evans killed or he would have left after his contract was up. But it still is a great thought experiment especially after a few beers.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, entropyrules said:

After watching the Bucs yesterday i couldn't help but think if the Bills had not traded up for Watkins and instead had taken Evans would it have made a difference. Probably not, I suppose, given that EJ would have gotten Evans killed or he would have left after his contract was up. But it still is a great thought experiment especially after a few beers.

We would have had 1st and 4th in 2015 had we not traded for Sammy. Not telling on what we had drafted with those picks but one could argue that the collection was better than Watkins. 

1 hour ago, Starr Almighty said:

This is like saying I want someone that sux over someone that can actually do something on the field

obj can't do anything on the field.

watkins CAN run a full route tree. and i am a mckenzie fan but i put watkins over mckenzie.

Just now, The Jokeman said:

We would have had 1st and 4th in 2015 had we not traded for Sammy. Not telling on what we had drafted with those picks but one could argue that the collection was better than Watkins. 

agreed..its all speculation - the people running the Bills at that time and the coaches they hired were a disaster so not sure keeping the 1st and 5th would have made a difference .. I went and looked at the 2014 draft (they are listed as the 2014 darft but i thought it was 2015 also) and Evans was taken 8th so if the Bills stood pat he wouldn't have been available. That 9th pick was Gilbert a CB and the 5th they traded was used to draft an O lineman named Pamphile.

I've got way too much time on my hand - need to get back to doing esoteric radiological calculations ot if nothing else pestering my spousal unit.

5 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

He looked rather lumbering when he was at Orchard Park earlier this year. Did not even recognize him. 

His broken foot has never healed correctly, and his frequent history of hamstrings has left him crippled for playing 

further in the NFL as a competent WR.  He can't even stay on a team that needs all the WR help it can get.

22 minutes ago, entropyrules said:

This would not have worked.  The Bills original pick (before trading up to get Watkins) was #9 and Evans was picked at #7, so he was gone by the time the Bills pick came around.   That said, Odell Beckham, Jr. lasted until the 12th pick, so, theoretically, the Bills could have drafted Beckham without trading up and would have kept all of the draft capital they traded away.

NOTE:  I have not read the thread beyond the post I am responding to, so my apologies if someone else already pointed this out.

47 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

How can anyone seriously want to bring this guy back to Buffalo?   

Each Sammy Watkins career touchdown has cost 2 million dollars in salary lol.   

If it could reasonably get the Bills a SuperBowl, I'd support signing Bryan Cox AND Bryan Cox Jr.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.