#1 Seed Will Be HUGE This Year

mjt328

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

I don't think Jets or NE will make it. My guess for the 3 wildcards is the Dolphins, Ravens, Chargers. The Chargers never seem to live up to the hype they get but I would rather the Bills face the Ravens or Dolphins if the Bills go into the playoffs as the #2 seed. Herbert>>>>>LJ, Tua.

I think the Chargers are even less equipped to walk into Buffalo and win in the cold. Dolphins defense can get after it. Chargers cannot. Bills match up better against the Chargers offense than the Dolphins. Herbert aside.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrBob806 said:

Lol yep. We "think" the Bills are SB ready yet fear the Chiefs. 

I get it. Mahomes is magical.

I wouldn’t use the word fear. Rather, our season has ended each of the last 2 years at Arrowhead.  I think most people would just feel better if we break that ground hog day cycle.  

2 hours ago, Dan said:

I wouldn’t use the word fear. Rather, our season has ended each of the last 2 years at Arrowhead.  I think most people would just feel better if we break that ground hog day cycle.  

True.

It's just timing on some of this stuff. Sometimes the top 2 teams in the NFL reside in the same conference, & somebody gets knocked out and doesn't reach the SB.

Steelers vs Raiders in the 70s, Browns vs Broncos in the 80s, Cowboys vs 49ers, Colts vs Pats, etc. are some good examples.

Bills D should be the difference this season regardless of home field or not. Their pass rush is better than KC or Cincy, and barring a fluke, the other 4 AFC playoff teams won't break through those 3.

7 hours ago, Georgia Bill said:

I don't see any realistic scenarios where the Chiefs could end at number 3 and have to go on the road to beat both the Bills and the Bengals- which kind of sucks...

3 hours ago, DrBob806 said:

I wasn't saying we fear the Chiefs.  I just don't like the odds of needing to beat the Bengals in Cincinnati AND needing to beat the Chiefs in KC to get to the Super Bowl which could very well be the case as 3rd seed.  I'll guarantee you the Chiefs fans would not like their odds either if the Chiefs were 3 seed and had to go on the road and beat the Bengals in Cinci AND then beat the Bills in Buffalo.   It's a potential murderer's row, for whoever gets the 3 seed.

Edited by Georgia Bill
typo

I have done the calculation and what is mind numbing is that we could have an incredible stretch run of 7-1 to finish the season, and very easily if not likely be the three seed at 13-4. We could also forfeit the next three games and very likely be the three seed.  

Edited by Charles Romes
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DrBob806 said:

True.

It's just timing on some of this stuff. Sometimes the top 2 teams in the NFL reside in the same conference, & somebody gets knocked out and doesn't reach the SB.

Steelers vs Raiders in the 70s, Browns vs Broncos in the 80s, Cowboys vs 49ers, Colts vs Pats, etc. are some good examples.

Bills D should be the difference this season regardless of home field or not. Their pass rush is better than KC or Cincy, and barring a fluke, the other 4 AFC playoff teams won't break through those 3.

Bills D (pass rush) is no better or even worse than last year. Starting to see it come on against Mia. It’s basically the same D that wasn’t good enough last year 

no Von. No Jerry. No Mario. 

id rather have hyde than tre 

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

I have done the calculation and what is mind numbing is that we could have an incredible stretch run of 7-1 to finish the season, and very easily if not likely be the three seed at 13-4. We could also forfeit the next three games and very likely be the three seed.  

So what you are saying is we should tank for the 3rd seed, or go for the 1 seed?

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

If SF makes it to the Super Bowl, I think only the Bills or Chiefs would be able to compete against that defense.

San Fran's defense is good, I know that, but some of their success has to be contributed to their schedule. They've played a bunch of bad teams and even more bad offenses. They've faced only 2 top 10 offenses(KC & Mia, both at home), going 1-1. They've only played 5 games against teams that are .500 or better, for context we've played twice as many.

Offenses they have faced by rankings 31st - 2 games, 30th, 28th, 27th, 23th, 21st, 18th, 17th, 14th - 2 games, 12th, 5th & 1st. That's 9 out of 14 games in the back half of the rankings and half the season playing one of the 12 worst offenses in the league. 

I agree Buffalo will be able to compete against them and any one else for several reasons, but the biggest one outside of Mr. Allen is they are battle tested this year. They have played a bunch of good teams and are sitting at 11-3. They have done really well against top 5 offenses, going 3-1 with 3 of them on the road and 4-1 overall against top 10 offenses. They've done well against top 10 defenses too going 3-1, again 3 of them on the road.

San Fran & Buffalo have played 4 games this year against 3 common opponents. They played the 31st ranked offense of the Rams twice, we played the 5th ranked offense of Miami twice. They got KC at home, we had to play them at KC, they played 3 at home, we played 3 on the road. They gave up a total of 84, we gave up 80. My bet is our defensive numbers(points/yards allowed) would be similar to theirs if we played their schedule this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Georgia Bill said:

I wasn't saying we fear the Chiefs.  I just don't like the odds of needing to beat the Bengals in Cincinnati AND needing to beat the Chiefs in KC to get to the Super Bowl which could very well be the case as 3rd seed.  I'll guarantee you the Chiefs fans would not like their odds either if the Chiefs were 3 seed and had to go on the road and beat the Bengals in Cinci AND then beat the Bills in Buffalo.   It's a potential murderer's row, for whoever gets the 3 seed.

That is if the Fish/Chargers/Ravens don't beat them first. I don't think any of the top 3 seeds are guaranteed to make it to the divisional which is why this #1 seed is critical. I know its obvious but let the Chiefs and Bengals fight it out with the Fish and Chargers.

Just win out! Bears, Bengals, Patriots!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

That is if the Fish/Chargers/Ravens don't beat them first. I don't think any of the top 3 seeds are guaranteed to make it to the divisional which is why this #1 seed is critical. I know its obvious but let the Chiefs and Bengals fight it out with the Fish and Chargers.

Just win out! Bears, Bengals, Patriots!

Troy and Joe even mentioned the Bills vs Bengals and the game is two weeks away. That will be for all the marbles as far as the Bills are concerned. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, balln said:

Bills D (pass rush) is no better or even worse than last year. Starting to see it come on against Mia. It’s basically the same D that wasn’t good enough last year 

no Von. No Jerry. No Mario. 

id rather have hyde than tre 

The Bills punching their ticket to the SB  was not dependent on their defense the last 2 seasons and it’s not now. Neither was KC’s for that matter. It’s about the QB making a few more plays than the guy on the other sideline , and maybe having the ball last. That’s what happens when there are other top QBs in the conference. 

• Like (+1) 1

It feels like since we lost Von Home field advantage in the playoffs is the only difference between this years team and last years. We need it imo.  That little extra juice the home crowd brings and a nice snowstorm for the afc championship would be pretty epic for the NFL too.   Let’s take care of Chicago first 

Just now, Mynamemike said:

It feels like since we lost Von Home field advantage in the playoffs is the only difference between this years team and last years. We need it imo.  That little extra juice the home crowd brings and a nice snowstorm for the afc championship would be pretty epic for the NFL too.   Let’s take care of Chicago first 

I want no part of the Bills going to CIN or KC in the playoffs. The Bills probably more than any other team really use home field to their advantage. In the McDermott era they are winless on the road in the playoffs at 0-4. JAC, HOU, KC x 2. But undefeated at home 3-0. IND, BAL, NE.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mynamemike said:

Well that's certainly not the "only" difference.....you're forgetting the interior Dline is entirely different outside Oliver. And although they had a rough go stopping the run against Fins, they have been better for the most part defending run game this season. Also have been better at QB pressure.

I'd say that's a fairly big difference

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, DrBob806 said:

I don’t fear the Chiefs but there are more teams “ready” for a SB. Some people have this misconception that only two teams are worthy of going. It takes more than being “the best team” to get to the SB. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, HaldimandBills said:

I think the Chargers are even less equipped to walk into Buffalo and win in the cold. Dolphins defense can get after it. Chargers cannot. Bills match up better against the Chargers offense than the Dolphins. Herbert aside.

Totally agree.  Chargers have no real game-breakers on offense…just a dink and dunk attack.  I’d love to see them in Buffalo in January.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.