Shout out to Zay Jones!

Special K

2 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Here’s a question - If he were still on our team, how much playing time would he get?  Would he be getting as many or more targets than Gabe?

If playing the way he's playing now? Big YES...

49 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

How is that his fault? Maybe your vitriol would be better directed at the Bills' front office and scouting department at the time he was drafted.

Yep totally not his fault. It's one of those what could have been scenarios. It's a weird spot to place blame since Beane was not around yet. At the end of the day, the player didn't live up to his draft spot and that is his fault. 

6 hours ago, MJS said:

He must have matured as a player and is more consistent now. It wasn't all bad here with him, but he just made bone-headed mistakes sometimes and had bad drops.

he juggled nearly every wide open catch he did make w Bills....obviously great hands in college turned mental issue in NFL.

Maybe because NFL ball is slightly bigger. Or no strips. IDK.....

20 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

If playing the way he's playing now? Big YES...

Nah. 

Zay's playing well. Gabe is at least as good and probably better.

Comparable yardage, Zay has 12 yards more, Gabe has one TD more, and Gabe has had only 77 targets while Zay has 106. Gabe is much more likely to be involved in impact plays.

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yep totally not his fault. It's one of those what could have been scenarios. It's a weird spot to place blame since Beane was not around yet. At the end of the day, the player didn't live up to his draft spot and that is his fault. 

I understand exactly what you're saying and agree that he did not live up to expectations. Some of that is on him, some of it is on the coaching staff, IMO. I disagree though that he "didn't live up to his draft spot and that is his fault." It's not his fault that he was drafted where he was drafted. That was a miscalculation on the part of McDermott/ the front office in place at the time and failure on the part of the coaching staff to get the most out of him. It happens. High draft picks don't always pan out with the regime that took them and some of them eventually figure it out with another organization. Hindsight is 20/20.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

I understand exactly what you're saying and agree that he did not live up to expectations. Some of that is on him, some of it is on the coaching staff, IMO. I disagree though that he "didn't live up to his draft spot and that is his fault." It's not his fault that he was drafted where he was drafted. That was a miscalculation on the part of McDermott/ the front office in place at the time and failure on the part of the coaching staff to get the most out of him. It happens. High draft picks don't always pan out with the regime that took them and some of them eventually figure it out with another organization. Hindsight is 20/20.

It does happen, and you're right that McDermott may well have been part of his failure.

But Zay was having serious issues at the time, and nobody says that was known from his college days. I mean, remember the time when his brother saved him from jumping out a window? That's not really something the coaches could likely have done much about. 

I wish the best for him. 

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

It does happen, and you're right that McDermott may well have been part of his failure.

But Zay was having serious issues at the time, and nobody says that was known from his college days. I mean, remember the time when his brother saved him from jumping out a window? That's not really something the coaches could likely have done much about. 

I wish the best for him. 

I won't disagree with you. Mental issues are a very real health crisis in this country and hard to detect by those not trained to deal with them.

The points I was making were simply:

1) Yes, Zay was disappointing during his tenure with the Bills.

2) In no way is it his fault that he was drafted where he was.

It didn't work out in Buffalo and that sucks for us but best of luck to him going forward. Glad he has seemingly put whatever demons he was dealing with behind him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

7 hours ago, MJS said:

He must have matured as a player and is more consistent now. It wasn't all bad here with him, but he just made bone-headed mistakes sometimes and had bad drops.

As much as we bemoan not having more playmakers at WR, remembering ZayDay telling Kelvin Benjmain where to line up reminds me how far we've come

4 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

I won't disagree with you. Mental issues are a very real health crisis in this country and hard to detect by those not trained to deal with them.

The points I was making were simply:

1) Yes, Zay was disappointing during his tenure with the Bills.

2) In no way is it his fault that he was drafted where he was.

It didn't work out in Buffalo and that sucks for us but best of luck to him going forward. Glad he has seemingly put whatever demons he was dealing with behind him.

He wasn't overdrafted. He was projected to be a second round pick, and failed at playing to that level to the team that drafted him.

1 hour ago, VaMilBill said:

I mean he had drops that cost us games. Glad he’s doing well now, but it was absolutely the right call that we unloaded him at the time

Don't remember much about his plays just remember his family responding to criticism of his play and how could he catch anything from a inaccurate qb.  His dad insisting the problem was Josh not zay.  

I'm not a big fan of players that have baggage of family that generate negativity or do stupid things ala pats brother as well as obnoxious wife.

2 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

I mean he had drops that cost us games. Glad he’s doing well now, but it was absolutely the right call that we unloaded him at the time

No doubt.

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

he juggled nearly every wide open catch he did make w Bills....obviously great hands in college turned mental issue in NFL.

Maybe because NFL ball is slightly bigger. Or no strips. IDK.....

It's really a mental toughness and confidence thing. Once you drop a couple of passes, it can get in your head and you start focusing on it, which can make it worse.

Plus, I think the speed and physicality of the NFL game was a big adjustment for Zay Jones. He kind of came into the league bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.

• Like (+1) 1

He's turned his career around for sure.

A lot of people laughed at the contract the Jaguars gave him but he's been a big time, go to weapon for Laurence this year and a big reason the Jags may very win the AFCS and make the playoffs when that looked like a pipe dream just a few weeks ago.

Whaley's last draft in Buffalo was certainly one of the best in franchise history.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

He has evolved well! He led all college football in catches when we Drafted him, but he’s one of those receivers who needed at least 3 seasons to figure things out.

I forgot about the fact that he led college football in catches.

With the way he’s playing now, he sure would look good in the slot with Davis and Diggs on the outside!

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.