Devin Singletary not scoring a TD with 34 seconds left

chongli

2 hours ago, section122 said:

So the board has now moved to complaining about decisions that work out too?

Cmon man! This is getting ridiculous. 

Worried about 3rd and longs

Worried we arent blowing teams out

Worried about the o line

Worried about diggs becoming a diva (seriously hasn't this been put to rest?!)

Complaining about ed oliver

That is just the first page!

Not to mention the complaining about dorsey and his 2nd most ypg and 4th most ppg offense

Or the complaining about frazier and his 9th ranked ypg and 2 ranked ppg defense

Or the complaining about mcd and 11-3 afc #1 seed with the highest strength of victory, incredibly difficult schedule, and handling a myriad of injuries.

Some of you need to cheer the ***** up and move on from 13 seconds.  Sheesh.

Totally agree, lots of first world whining going on here, these folk will be complaining about how we didn’t win the super bowl the way they wanted it won, its totally mind numbingly absurd.

Go Bills!!!!

• Agree 2

On 12/18/2022 at 10:26 AM, billsbackto81 said:

It worked but I thought it was the wrong play. That decision was all about Tyreek Hill taking up real estate in McD's head. This was not Mahomes in Arrowhead in favorable conditions. It's Tua in Buffalo on snow. If you can't stop that from scoring a TD with less than a minute and no timeouts then we'll you're not a championship team. 

Of course it's JMHO, glad it worked out.

Worst take ever

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

Worst take ever

Your opinion and you're entitled. Easy to say now but I'm sure you'd keep it to yourself if the final play had a botched snap, missed kick or fumbled. I mean the weather conditions were perfect, right?

Look at the feedback, plenty agreed and disagreed. 

• Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Your opinion and you're entitled. Easy to say now but I'm sure you'd keep it to yourself if the final play had a botched snap, missed kick or fumbled. I mean the weather conditions were perfect, right?

No that is actually fact. Worst take ever, thanks for still trying to back it up also with nonsense.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

No, because there is a 50% chance buffalo gets the ball back on the next kickoff, which would start OT. Your strategy is wilfully give the ball back to miami. If the clock is on your side, you use it. And its worked every single time I can remember buffalo kicking a <25 yard field goal to win a game in the last 10+ years. I can think of a ton of times buffalo left time on the clock after taking the lead with less then two minutes to go and eventually lost that game. So there are a ton of examples that show you are wrong, and mcdermott was right saturday and in the ravens game.

Edited by wagon127

It was absolutely the correct call, and it’s not even close.  

First off, everyone calling it icy are just incorrect.  It was not icy conditions, it was fresh snow, big difference.  And the snow can be brushed away, which it was.  His footing there isn’t in any real jeopardy.  

Second, giving Dolphins ball back with 34 seconds and the best deep ball receiver in football is a lot riskier than kicking a FG from the 2 yard line.  Statistically, the FG is absolutely the mathematically correct play.  

Always better to control the outcome of the game vs giving them their own shot to control the outcome.  

The odds we connect on the FG were better than the odds our defense doesn’t allow a TD.  

That makes it the correct play.  

• Agree 3

37 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

No, because there is a 50% chance buffalo gets the ball back on the next kickoff, which would start OT. Your strategy is wilfully give the ball back to miami. If the clock is on your side, you use it. And its worked every single time I can remember buffalo kicking a <25 yard field goal to win a game in the last 10+ years. I can think of a ton of times buffalo left time on the clock after taking the lead with less then two minutes to go and eventually lost that game. So there are a ton of examples that show you are wrong, and mcdermott was right saturday and in the ravens game.

So you're telling me you'd rather take a 50% chance in OT with heavily falling snow rather than taking a 100% TD lead with less than a minute? 

Yes, I'm willfully giving the ball back. A TD lead with 34 seconds left and forcing noodle arm Tua with no timeouts to drive Miami most likely 75 yards in heavy snow. What are the odds? And even if they did score a TD which is so highly unlikely, whats worst case? They tie it going into OT and you have your 50/50 scenario anyway.

Look, it worked and I'm glad it did. And because it did many will swear it was the right move. 

But please don't act like nothing bad couldn't become of it. As a Bills fan we've seen enough over the years scenarios that have gone against us no matter how unlikely.

Of course it's JMHO..

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

So you're telling me you'd rather take a 50% chance in OT with heavily falling snow rather than taking a 100% TD lead with less than a minute? 

Yes, I'm willfully giving the ball back. A TD lead with 34 seconds left and forcing noodle arm Tua with no timeouts to drive Miami most likely 75 yards in heavy snow. What are the odds? And even if they did score a TD which is so highly unlikely, whats worst case? They tie it going into OT and you have your 50/50 scenario anyway.

Look, it worked and I'm glad it did. And because it did many will swear it was the right move. 

But please don't act like nothing bad couldn't become of it. As a Bills fan we've seen enough over the years scenarios that have gone against us no matter how unlikely.

Of course it's JMHO..

No the worst case is they score go for 2 and win.

It worked so IT WAS THE RIGHT MOVE. They won the game it was the right move.  

Youre last thought is don't pretend nothing could go wrong but you act as if nothing could go wrong with your just score scenario.  We have seen a team score with 13 seconds why even risk it? Your post lays out exactly why the fg was the right choice and you argue against it.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Of course it's JMHO..

No, i dont want to go to OT, i want to try a short field goal with no time left, cause i think its the best chance to win. Not cause its 100%, nothing is. But its the next best thing. So much more can go wrong by taking a lead to early, when draining the clock is an option. The best defense in the world, cant compete with leaving zero seconds on the clock.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, section122 said:

Worried about the o line

Not to mention the complaining about dorsey and his 2nd most ypg and 4th most ppg offense

Or the complaining about frazier and his 9th ranked ypg and 2 ranked ppg defense

Or the complaining about mcd and 11-3 afc #1 seed with the highest strength of victory, incredibly difficult schedule, and handling a myriad of injuries.

Don’t forget we don’t even like Murph calling the games.  There’s not much at all about this team that some folks like. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

no, that is the clear implication there.  

Clear as Mississippi mud.

10 hours ago, Dan said:

Don’t forget we don’t even like Murph calling the games.  There’s not much at all about this team that some folks like. 

So like disliking "their team" more than liking it.  Like the Grinch they have a heart two sizes too small.

a5feb22a5db32d7ea20b32c7207446c7.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/23/2022 at 8:45 AM, section122 said:

Worried about the o line

Yeah! You tell ‘em!! 
Problem is the negative Nancies are a vocal group. And they’re always right! 😉

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/18/2022 at 10:09 AM, chongli said:

[I am sure this has been mentioned elsewhere (the post game thread is way too long for me to read through), but it might be a topic that deserves its own thread. A lot of people are talking about it, but mods feel free to merge this.]

I saw the game but did not listen to the NFL Network call. Apparently, Mark Sanchez was critical of Motor's decision to kneel at the four yard line. I will admit I was miffed when I saw the play. My thinking was it is a tie game in very icy conditions. In such conditions, you take the given TD rather than relying on a last-second FG where anything can go wrong (just look at what happened to Justin Tucker yesterday). Yes, I know that would leave Miami 34 seconds and a time out left for the potential tying (or winning) TD, but it is going to be a very hard thing to do. Yes, the Bills did have KC do it to them twice: 13 seconds and a similar thing against them this season at the end of the first half, and Buffalo did it to Minnesota to end the second half this year too, but I still consider it a fluke thing.

Still, I can understand the reasoning the other way. Miami has Tyreek and Jaylen, and a defender could just as well slip against them and give up the tying (or winning) TD. And a close FG, even in these situations, is still a relative gimme.

It's a tough call, and I will have to side with McD's judgment. He said in the article he has coached his team for this situation, calling it "no mas". Devin, to this credit, knew what to do!

In the comments to the article below, almost all of the people were against Buffalo not coring the TD in a tie game in icy conditions, saying the field goal was not a given (although the comments voting was about even). The twitter comments were a little more positive. They said if you have the lead, then sure, but take the points in a tie game in such conditions. They also said if Bass-o-matic missed the FG and the Dolphins went on to win in OT, people would be angry at Motor for costing us the game and first place in the AFC.

I had absolutely no problem with the decision.  He did the same thing against Baltimore and it was the smart play.  

If you are going to go on the premise that Bass could easily slip on the FG attempt..ha also could’ve slipped on the kickoff attempt as could any other players on the field.  

While I agree that scoring a TD with :34 seconds would be near impossible for Miami, we’ve seen teams hit long plays on the defense because Hamlin was out of position.

The Bills did the right thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I had absolutely no problem with the decision.  He did the same thing against Baltimore and it was the smart play.  

If you are going to go on the premise that Bass could easily slip on the FG attempt..ha also could’ve slipped on the kickoff attempt as could any other players on the field.  

While I agree that scoring a TD with :34 seconds would be near impossible for Miami, we’ve seen teams hit long plays on the defense because Hamlin was out of position.

The Bills did the right thing. 

sure the FG could be blocked and returned.

if he scored when they wanted him to, Miami would have had 2 TO snd about 30 seconds to score a TD. If thry got a TD they’d go for the W on a 2.

FG was the safer play.  It was a short kick already.  The snow wasn’t fully covering the field likr i he was kicking in 6 inches on the field

Hey, just curious. 
after seeing missed 35 and 38 yd kicks this week, is everyone absolutely  sure that not taking a sure TD was the right move?

My opinion is that it was a close decision, but that McD should have taken the TD.  FG, especially in bad weather, might be 90+%, but it’s never 100%

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.