Devin Singletary not scoring a TD with 34 seconds left

chongli

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It wasn't icy. It was fresh snow that was swept away to kick a chip spot. It was how you do it.

I saw the players clear snow. But I was wondering why Bass didn't point them to the area where he started his run. That is also a very critical area.

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I was 100% happy with the decision. 

If we can control the last play of the game, you do it. It was a 25(ish) yard FG, in the middle of the field and as others were mentioning, the footing seemed to be pretty good. 

Bass looked comfortable with his practice “swings” and the O had two timeouts to clear whatever surface snow accumulated. 

That said, until I saw the kick split the uprights, I was planning out OT in my head like a good Bills fan 😅😁

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, chongli said:

I saw the players clear snow. But I was wondering why Bass d didn't point them to the area where he started his run. That is also a very critical area.

You'll note the players swept the wrong spot. The Bills called time out and Bass showed them where to sweep.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Regardless of your thoughts whether he should have scored the TD, it was an absolutely bonehead play to go down short of the first. 

Why?  The Dolphins had 1 timeout that they needed to use after the play.  The Bills then had a play to kneel and run the clock. 

I would totally agree if it had been 3rd down and the Bills had to kick on the next play, but in that case get down before the defenders can drag you into the end zone.  The yardage did not matter as much as getting down.

It was 100% the right call because you eliminated any chance for the Dolphins to make a play and win the game in regulation.  By him going down - it was the Bills win or OT.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

I thought clock management last night and against the Ravens was amazing. Kicking literal chip shot 25yd FG's while time expires I will take all day for 2 W's on the season.

Hats off to Motor for doing what the coaching staff coached him to do. 

the old “No Más” play, according to McDermott!

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Almost a coin flip decision. I would have erred on the side of scoring the TD but don’t tell me you can’t imagine a tragic 37-36 loss.

You have the same guy who killed you at KC on the Dolphins. Are you going to give them :45 seconds?

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Regardless of your thoughts whether he should have scored the TD, it was an absolutely bonehead play to go down short of the first. 

The first down was irrelevant, we had enough downs and a time out to control the clock, which we did do perfectly.   He probably could not see the marker. 

The issue is do you take the 6 or do you make the snapper snap, the holder hold, and the kicker kick in snowy, slippery conditions.  The last play was not a gimme due to the field and weather conditions.  

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Sort of where I’m at with it.  I understand the decision (13 seconds/Hill effect on McD) and it’s rational to decide it’s better to kick a chip shot field goal then give the other team any time to try for a miracle.  

But mostly I’m just glad they’re practicing and coaching situational football - I’ve had my doubts about that all season (including during last night’s game).

McD is growing up! Bills 6-3 this year in games decided by one score or less! Take that Cowherd.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I was yelling "go down". Did not want to give dolphins a chance to throw deep which they've been very successful with. 

True, but one reason they were successful in the deep passes was that they were torching us on the ground. This would have been a purely passing situation. Against any QB not named Allen, Mahomes, Rodgers, or Brady, it should be easy to defend against the deep ball.

• Like (+1) 1

After what the Jets did to Cleveland this year, when the RB scored & put Cleveland up by 13, I understand why McDermott did this.  He did the same thing in Baltimore.  https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/18/jets-stun-browns-31-30-after-late-comeback/

One question Chubb and Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski will likely be asked is why Chubb didn’t go down rather than score the final touchdown. The Jets were out of timeouts and the Browns could have run out almost all of the remaining clock if Chubb had stopped himself short of the end zone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Why? The Dolphins were out of timeouts and the difference of 2 yards for the field goal really didn’t make a difference. 

• Like (+1) 1

It was absolutely, no questions asked, the correct decision and I am very glad to see players and coaches practicing this. 

The downs were irrelevant. 

We made the Dolphins burn their last timeouts. 

Of course nothing is guaranteed, but you play the odds that your high quality FG team executes a chip shot FG to win the game. 

It was a thing of beauty to watch. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.