I hope the Bills invest heavily into the offensive line this offseason

Einstein

16 hours ago, LEBills said:

it would be 31 after we win the Super Bowl. The dolphins had to forfeit a first round pick this year 😂😂

but yes, we need to upgrade OL desperately. If we don’t meet this seasons expectations, the OL will likely be the main reason.

We absolutely have to draft 3 OL and 2 WR this April.  Surrounding Josh with better talent is imperative to sustaining a long term playoff/SB run. You shop for defense in FA.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We absolutely have to draft 3 OL and 2 WR this April.  Surrounding Josh with better talent is imperative to sustaining a long term playoff/SB run. You shop for defense in FA.

My question is at what positions for the ol Dockins is still very good. Spencer Brown has been disappointing it right guard I still like bates scaffold looks old, and Morse just took like his six concussion

The other thing I’d really like to see is a wide receiver with some size they can actually catch and has speed

4 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

I’m just happy if find an all-pro. 

To me, the likely places in positions that you would find, that is the office of line or corner, but we just drafted two corners

Center seem to drop that might be a good spot a Center guard combo

Edited by John from Riverside

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I hope the Bills draft a LG, C and RT in rounds 3,4 and 5 and they all turn out to be very good starters. WR rd 1.  Sean Tucker rd 2-  yup another RB , ugh.  I think Tucker has the juice this O needs.  Good value in rd 2 

I absolutely think we’re gonna keep drafting. Running backs. There is nothing in the way that the bills play James cook that screams to me that they want him to be the primary back.

1 minute ago, Dr.Sack said:

Hamlin & Poyer only got burned once each last night. 

We don’t know what’s gonna happen with Hyde yet. Neck injuries are tricky and I was super high on Hamlin before they even put them into the lineup but I am noticing that he takes bad angles add times on his tackling. I hope he can clean that up.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, WideNine said:

Are we saying that Knox has arrived?

He flashes great games then has games where the drops and concentration lapses are killers so I don't mind it if the team continues to look for competition and upgrades at that position. Knox has gotten better so I am not counting out that he will continue to develop more consistency.

He did have a good game yesterday, that makes me want to see more of that same level of play from the position - this offense needs that.

I don't believe in drafting positions in specific rounds, but if you go into a draft with positional needs you need to rate those players a bit higher - particularly if the draft is thin at that position or if there is a run on them. Beane has said that they stick with their board rankings and I tend to believe him.

I like the Gopher center, I think he would be a great fit in this offense, but not sure what round he would go in or when a team should pull the trigger, but getting a solid C/G contributor on a rookie deal would beat out trying to pay the $ needed to plug that hole via FA.

I think MItch signed a 2-year extension that is good through the 2024 season, so if he sticks around we could bring someone along slowly, or maybe on a rotation at guard and center so they could eventually start.

What I'm saying is Knox looks much much better than he looked in his 1st 2 years and is likely one of the top 10 or so TE's in the league and is a TE that defenses have to account for as opposed to someone like a Lee Smith.   But it took time for him to get there so don't think it's wise to give up on S Brown after two seasons, the 2nd which he had basically no training camp and off season due to surgery.  That's how you get in trouble when you give up on players too soon and keep replacing them as it wastes draft picks and money.

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

What I'm saying is Knox looks much much better than he looked in his 1st 2 years and is likely one of the top 10 or so TE's in the league and is a TE that defenses have to account for as opposed to someone like a Lee Smith.   But it took time for him to get there so don't think it's wise to give up on S Brown after two seasons, the 2nd which he had basically no training camp and off season due to surgery.  That's how you get in trouble when you give up on players too soon and keep replacing them as it wastes draft picks and money.

That's fair.

He has so many of the "other" things you want in a TE, I am rooting for him to become that reliable receiving option every game.

We need that, because when he is dialed in you can see what a positive impact he has on our ability to move the ball and score in the RZ.

On 12/18/2022 at 9:38 AM, KHAN said:

Emboldened, italicized, underlined, colorized and enlarged for emphasis.

It unreal...but it appears like they drafted Boogie because they missed on Epenesa, then missed even worse by drafting Boogie. He looks like hot garbage in run defense, kid couldn't set the table let alone set the edge. 

We all knew Creed Humphrey was a sure thing. 

12 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Hamlin & Poyer only got burned once each last night. 

Felt like Hamlin was a spectator out there in pass coverage on Saturday.

The idea of cover 2 is that your DBs can jam and cover the flat knowing they have help over the top if they lose a step on a WR.

Always see Hamlin arriving late to the scene with no angle to break up the pass or tackle the receiver.

I was told here that Cover 1 did a breakdown that showed him doing well, but I did not see that Saturday night enough.

Perhaps there is film out there showing reps where he is in the right spot at the right time and passes just aren't thrown.

Hard to overlook all the times he is not.

I mean, what incentive does Beane have to do this when we have the #2 offense in the NFL over the past 3 years with "bad OLines"?

He likely will be investing it into skill positions on offense or on D.

Cracks are starting to form on D with Hyde out. Hamlin is suspect at best in coverage and an outright liability at worst. His best attribute is run D near the LOS but he also is out of position and takes bad angles at times that allow for big runs(although it's mostly cleaned up he still has relapses of that)

Allen mitigates many of the issues and sometimes creates big lanes for him to escape through from players getting overly aggressive with their upfield pursuit.

I doubt Beane starts dropping first round picks on linemen.

Edited by Big Turk

6 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

The Bills hired one of the best o-line coaches in the league last off season. I think they were hoping for a jump from Brown and Doyle, who are both athletic freaks for their size.

I thought Doyle was the most improved of the 2 at the beginning of the season.

He was pretty raw to begin with, but you could tell he put in some work over the offseason.

Too bad about the injury.

• Agree 3

35 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I mean, what incentive does Beane have to do this when we have the #2 offense in the NFL over the past 3 years with "bad OLines"?

He likely will be investing it into skill positions on offense or on D.

You may end up being right, but I doubt Beane is thinking that after the play of the OL this year.

I do have to say that "3 years of bad OLines" is not correct IMO.  The lines in 2020 and 2021 were better than this year's.

As to the offensive skill positions, I maintain that the OL is playing bad enough to hamper the play of the current group

the Bills have.  Giving Josh on average, a bit more time, would fix most of the issues we've seen this year.

You can't count on Josh running around like a mad man every game.  Even bad opposing DLs are causing problems.

When Josh has time in the pocket, he is almost unstoppable.

What I see doesn't seem that complicated.  Next year move Bates back to LG where he has played his best ball next to Dawkins.

Draft a day one starting RG and solidify that position for the future.  Draft Morse's replacement and have him acclimate to

take over in 2024.  I can't see Morse playing in 2024 and if he does the rookie could wait another year.  Josh has to have a good C.

That gives 4 of the 5 starters and Morse's replacement taken care of.  Brown needs to improve, and you got to bring in a journeyman

vet to give him some camp competition and then for depth.  Re-sign Ike for swing guard is they think he can handle it.

Doyle is in the mix so you're down to one other depth player.

So, I believe 2OL, 1WR and a S with the first 4 picks is what's needed next year.  After that, Beane can do whatever he wants.

Edited by ColoradoBills

On 12/18/2022 at 9:52 AM, BillsShredder83 said:

Ton of hindsight here. That season we were comin off afccg loss to kc. We couldnt do anything to slow him, and our offense was at its peak.

Looking back, two des wasnt crazy at all. Hoping development still mskes this look like the best decision

Only crazy part is that one of them was Basham.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.