I hope the Bills invest heavily into the offensive line this offseason

Einstein

7 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

We’ve been overdoing drafting Dlineman recently last yr we could of drafted Creed Humphrey over Basham . Humphrey is a top 3 center in the game right now and at the time was a no brainer pick over Basham. McD most of overruled Beane in the draft room because double drafting DEs in first 2rds is borderline insanity especially when the previous yr we used our highest Pk and Epenesa. 

And then wasting a pick on Bernard over Parham is unacceptable too. My worry is Beane isn’t good at drafting o lineman either. Spencer Brown sucks. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Einstein said:

For all the good that Beane has done - and the list is long and great on that front and we are blessed to have him - it would be wonderful if he spent significant resources this off-season on the o-line. Spencer Brown is going to get Allen crushed sooner or later (hopefully not before we find his replacement), and Saffolds best days are long gone. I also question how much longer Morse plays with all his head injuries.

And when I say invest in the o-line, I don’t mean old retreads like Saffold and castoffs like Quessenberry. 

I mean high draft picks (first two rounds) and signing top tier free agents. Guys like Terron Armstead, who has been very good for Miami this season after being a top tier free agent at the Tackle position this past offseason. What to do with Dawkins? That’s a great problem to have. And James Daniels, who has been an excellent Guard for the Steelers after signing a 3 year, 26.5M contract in the offseason. Or Austin Corbett, who is on a similar deal.

There is some serious talent due to become free agents this offseason (of course some will re-sign with their team), including Elgton Jenkins, Mike McGlinchey, Jack Conclin, and Orlando Brown. The opportunity should be there.

Go Bills.

This is definitely happening.  They will find a replacement for Saffold and I doubt they’ll go down the veteran stop gap route that they did this season w/ Saffold.  

Bigger question remains whether they move on from Brown.  They showed a lot of faith in him this season and he’s been just as inconsistent and injury prone as he was last year.  

Also the health of Mitch Morse now becomes a factor.  

• Like (+1) 1

The O line is an area of great importance that Beane et all keeps trying to put together with duct tape and coat hangers, it has been this way from the get go, frustrating to say the least, We will have one hell of a time going forward with this crew protecting the QB, jmo. 

GO BILLS!!!

• Agree 1

We have a 45 million dollar qb.

A line that is better than above average when 100% healthy and a true 1A receiver with wheels should probably be pretty high on the list for success.

in another thread I half seriously had the draft going…

1. WR

2. OL

3. WR

4. OL

5. WR

5. RB

i am completely willing to change that up as necessary between these two primary positions, but we are going to need more help in free agency.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

@ 32 the Bills absolutely have to draft Saffolds replacement.  WR in the 2nd round then RT in the 3rd round. No Sean I'm not allowing you to take 1 defensive player in the first 3 picks.

Not saying I wouldn’t like this, but the notion that a team HAS to draft certain position in certain round will never make any sense

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm all for double dipping in the draft or even free agency as far as targeting the interior, but I think they give Spencer Brown one more pass. The guy had zero, read this closely ZERO, offseason training to work on techniques, size, strength, or agility because of back surgery. How much this has truly set him back only the coaches probably know, but I'm hoping the Beaner acts accordingly and invests significantly one way or another with this group. Hit online heavy 2023!!!

1 hour ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

We’ve been overdoing drafting Dlineman recently last yr we could of drafted Creed Humphrey over Basham . Humphrey is a top 3 center in the game right now and at the time was a no brainer pick over Basham. McD most of overruled Beane in the draft room because double drafting DEs in first 2 rds is borderline insanity, especially when the previous yr we used our highest Pk on Epenesa. 

Emboldened, italicized, underlined, colorized and enlarged for emphasis.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Not saying I wouldn’t like this, but the notion that a team HAS to draft certain position in certain round will never make any sense

Exactly.  Sometimes, the talent at a particular position when a team picks simply isn't worth a first round pick.  I'm an advocate for the Bills to take a OG/C in the first in this draft (I advocated for them taking one last year, too), but I'm not going to throw a hissy fit if they don't.  If they can't find at least 1 OLer they like in the first three rounds, however, that would make me angry because it would say that the Bills just aren't trying to improve the OL through the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

We’ve been overdoing drafting Dlineman recently last yr we could of drafted Creed Humphrey over Basham . Humphrey is a top 3 center in the game right now and at the time was a no brainer pick over Basham. McD most of overruled Beane in the draft room because double drafting DEs in first 2rds is borderline insanity especially when the previous yr we used our highest Pk and Epenesa. 

Ton of hindsight here. That season we were comin off afccg loss to kc. We couldnt do anything to slow him, and our offense was at its peak.

Looking back, two des wasnt crazy at all. Hoping development still mskes this look like the best decision

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

And then wasting a pick on Bernard over Parham is unacceptable too. My worry is Beane isn’t good at drafting o lineman either. Spencer Brown sucks. 

I agree the OL is a problem, but I think Brown can be salvaged.  He missed the entire offseason and training camp coming off back surgery.  He can’t be as strong as he would have been had he been able to train.  Likewise, I think he is plenty athletic to play the position.  I might be wrong, but I think they need more reinforcements on the interior.

The offseason is going to be very difficult just to stay level with this season.  They can’t afford any significant FA signing and almost certainly are going to lose one or more of Poyer, Edmunds and Oliver in FA.  There is nobody in waiting on the roster who can replace any of them, so likely draft will be to try to get rookie candidates at S, ILB or DT.  

They won’t be able to address all the holes picking late in each round.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

They seem to like addressing one thing at a time. First it was skill positions, then it was the D-Line, and next will be O-line. They’ll have a high first round pick which is the perfect spot to get a quality Guard.

I am confused you think Buffalo will have a high first round pick????

With a great OL this team wins SBs for the next 5 years, But guess what, ALL teams have weaknesses! It's like some people think GMs can just pick great players out of shelf or something. 32 teams try to get the good players...

They sure gave Josh time on that 3rd and 17, and again he made it happen, 90% of teams run a draw play.

This year, they can finally push the Dline to get some 3rd and short runs down the middle.

• Like (+1) 1

LB or DL is going to be an issue too.  it's masked somewhat right now, but doubtful Oliver and Edmonds are both back.  Also wouldn't mind a Safety.  We've done a great job constructing the roster, and keeping our own players (which was an issue for years).  But at this point we're getting salary constrained - and need to get younger.  OL is an issue for sure - but depth at DT, S, LB is also a concern.  People keep saying WR - I don't think so.  We're pretty good there - and we have a QB where we can pluck a good WR in FA - one who wants to play with a QB like Allen. Don't mind grabbing one in the mid rounds - but not my priority.

And why are we talking about the draft in week 15?  Are we just programmed that way? lol.

It would have been great if the Bills had a way to know what Wyatt Teller was going to be & got rid of Cody Ford instead of him !

But i agree the O line & Center is a priority especially seeing as Mitch went out again with a concussion they said he has had 6 in his 8 yr career which is not good . 

• Like (+1) 1

take that late first round pick and try and get another 2nd and 3rd (if they are picking 31st they may need to throw in a 6th or 7th) - then taking two O-line man in the 2nd and 3rd rounds  will allow for the usual scouting mistakes of getting one of them wrong..the Bills can then still pick up a DB and a wide out. After that pick up a free agent olineman and pray to the football gods that one of  those non-drafted players who get added after the draft can actually contribute to the Oline

• Like (+1) 1

They seem to always take who they have rated the highest on their board.  That is a good position to be in as it leads to less reaches out of necessity.  However, I would really really really love it if the player rated highest on their board for our first 3 picks were O-linemen.  haha

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.