I’m starting to get extremely frustrated with Dorsey.

FireChans

21 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Here’s the thing. I have never been a “fire the OC” guy. I think if you polled fans of 32 NFL teams, and ask them their biggest problem with their team, it would either be the OC or playcalling, two nebulous concepts that usually come down to more of a lack of execution than anything else.

All that being said, Dorsey is driving me nuts. I can live with getting away from the run a little bit. Josh is our best offensive weapon and anytime the ball isn’t in his hands, defenses are happy. 

What I cannot deal with is a lack of preparedness and what appears to be glaring schematic flaws. 

There were two separate occasions on deep shots tonight where Gabe Davis and Isaiah McKenzie were operating within 2 yards of each other. Unless one of those recievers ran the wrong route, there is exactly NO excuse for that. These were not flood concepts or rubs or anything like that. Just two guys running flag routes next to each other.

The other thing. Backup OLmen all over the field because of injuries, not his fault. But we go out there and try to catch the defense with cadence with two backups in on the OL? Is that a joke? Of course, Saffold jumped (which is even funnier) but I question the decision making at all.

Bottom line is the Bills offense is still really good. Statistically one of the best. But a lot of times, it feels to me that Josh ends games dragging this team to the finish line after mixed results for the first 3 Q’s. And you know, that’s fine. If that’s the story of the 2022 Bills offense, it’s still pretty good. 

But to me, I don’t think that’s the sum of our parts. I think that’s selling us short. 

As a positive, Knox was infinitely more involved today which was awesome to see and definitely worked. So you know, Dorsey isn’t hopeless. But these are the kind of things that I had hoped would be cleaned up by week 6,

I think they do need to have a shorter passing game at times.  Sometimes it seems that routes are either slow developing routes or deep passes which don’t have time to develop because of pass protection 

The results and production is there. We’re scoring points, so I can’t say much negative about the OC. However, while I don’t think production can get much better, Dorsey could make things a little easier on Allen. More high percentage plays that don’t require superhuman efforts would be nice. I thought the two point conversation sneak was an awful call, yet Allen might be the only QB in NFL history who could have scored on that play. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Good coordinators can write scripts that score automatic points at the start of the game and after half time. Great coordinators make adjustments when the other team catches on. 

Daboll was good. He could script the hell out of the first qtr. Was often slow to adjust when things weren't working. 

Dorsey doesn't script or adjust. Doesn't seem to have the right feel for the game. Sorry to all the but, but, but we are 11-3 people. The points shouldn't be this hard to come by. We were supposed to be the best team in the NFL this year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

What I dont understand is the seeming lack of short throw options. Is that Dorsey? Is that the fact the RBs need to stay in and block? Is that Josh not taking the underneath throw when it is there?

Not sure but it would be nice to see more easy stuff underneath. 

1. We don’t run many slants, and really almost none if it’s not Diggs.

2. Our running backs are always falling down on dump offs.

3. Using Knox to work all areas of the defense as a roamer will improve the efficiency of the offense. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I have the same issue with Dorsey's playcalling every week.. it seems like he wants the big shot too often.  He also seems very, very predictable where they get into a groove passing then have a miss and it feels like every time after that it's a run. 

There's other issues I think they need to address that are more impactful though.. any pass that is at or behind the line of scrimmage seems to be a disaster. Not wasting downs on this I think would be a great help. 

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

What I dont understand is the seeming lack of short throw options. Is that Dorsey? Is that the fact the RBs need to stay in and block? Is that Josh not taking the underneath throw when it is there?

Not sure but it would be nice to see more easy stuff underneath. 

This exactly, we’re putting up points, but a little ball control offense with the short passing game, and easier decisions for Josh would be nice. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Once Morse went out it would have been a big mistake to go under center.

Josh has large sure hands and even so, he was challenged on a couple of those plays.

We already have had multiple bobbled snaps between Allen and VanRotten.  I would never go under center with them together.

1 minute ago, Malazan said:

I have the same issue with Dorsey's playcalling every week.. it seems like he wants the big shot too often.  He also seems very, very predictable where they get into a groove passing then have a miss and it feels like every time after that it's a run. 

There's other issues I think they need to address that are more impactful though.. any pass that is at or behind the line of scrimmage seems to be a disaster. Not wasting downs on this I think would be a great help. 

This is a good spot.

We did this twice tonight, threw sideways, lost yards both times. 

• Like (+1) 1

Some of the offense's troubles lie with our makeshift OL. Last year Josh had noticeably more time to throw when he was in the pocket and that allowed our receivers more time to get open.

Maybe it's Dorsey's playcalling but in his after game interview when asked about the 3r quarter performance he put it down to execution.

I agree that on the two deep pass plays with two receivers in the same area, that should not happen.  The play wasn't drawn up that way. One of the receivers didn't run the correct route.

My frustration is this 3rd Quarter trend where they struggle offensively, take very long to make adjustments, and other teams get back into games.

Fortunately, Allen's passing, running, and his ability to extend plays keep the team winning.

I am hoping that this 3rd quarter trend does turn into an Achilles heel against a quality opponent in a seesaw playoff battle.

31 minutes ago, FireChans said:

That’s fine. I admit, it’s not like the Bills are bad.

Do you think the offense is operating to its full potential?

Think its more on Beane not bringing in an Oline that can get a run game going and take pressure off the passing game more than a Dorsey thing. 

Those runs to our right side by Miami had significant blocking that we can never properly replicate. I don't think that's a scheme issue.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.