Mitch Morse December 2022 Concussion

PSUBB86

2 hours ago, mannc said:

Spencer Brown has spent two years learning how to play tackle in the NFL and he has a lot of the tools you want in a right tackle

I think that teh one tool he he doesn't have is good feet and that's what's getting him beat on so many occasions. Hiding him inside where he can maul guys that don't have the option of taking him wide might be non-traditional for a 6'8" guy but I think at the very least it's worth a look. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

On 12/18/2022 at 9:09 AM, MrEpsYtown said:

If Morse winds up having issues the way easier fix is to move Bates to center and find a guard. But we need two because Saffold is very bad right now. He was jumping the snap count on almost every play because that is how bad his pass pro is. But Morse has been excellent so I hope he is okay. 

FA centers include Rodney Hudson, Connor McGovern, Garrett Bradbury, Scott Quessenberry (David’sbro). FA guards include Justin Pugh, Issac Seumalo, Wes Schweitzer, Eldgton Jenkins, Dalton Risner, Nate Davis, David Edwards (ram).

In the short term they need to look at John Simpson. He visited the Ravens after clearing waivers. I have seen nothing else. He would be a nice fit adding youth and strength to that interior. 

Wow Dalton Risner is a free agent? I didn't realize he wasn't working out.

17 minutes ago, Simon said:

I think that teh one tool he he doesn't have is good feet and that's what's getting him beat on so many occasions. Hiding him inside where he can maul guys that don't have the option of taking him wide might be non-traditional for a 6'8" guy but I think at the very least it's worth a look. 

I'm not without an open mind on this either. It's unorthodox but I remember the 49ers back in the day and maybe the Bengals have some extremely tall guys play inside but do it at a high level so if it can work it works for me too

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Simon said:

He's got the slowest feet and first step I've ever seen. Teams now know this and speed rush him outside. I feel like we've been searching for a RT forEVER....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Wow Dalton Risner is a free agent? I didn't realize he wasn't working out.

I think he has been okay, but as a second round pick this is year 4, so he is a UFA at the end. They have not offered him an extension. 

He is their Harrison Phillips. Beloved by the fans, does a ton of work in the community, great teammate, but the production is up and down. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Usually he gets those heavy feet when he uses that 45 degree jump set. If often leads to him with two feet planted and guys running around him. 

This has me curious for two reasons:

1) Is this a Kromer thing? Why not use a more vertical kick to try and keep those feet and hands active? Is it because he is so strong and when he latched on, their is no chance for the pass rusher? 

2) Is that something Kromer wants because he doesn’t want to open him up to being beat inside?

Very curious about the techniques used here, but it seems to me he is often caught flat footed when he gets too aggressive at the point of attack with those jump sets

EDIT - maybe it isn’t the set itself but the depth. He seems to get caught flat footed or leaning 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Can't be any worse than Colin Brown in 2013. Well, that's a low bar...ideally would want him much better. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

I think you'll see Mitch come back for the playoffs only and then I think you'll see him hang it up. He wont play the last two regular season games IMO and hopefully will have the extra week with a bye so he'll get a total of a month off essentially for the playoff push then hopefully a title and call it a day. 

On 12/19/2022 at 9:37 PM, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Usually he gets those heavy feet when he uses that 45 degree jump set. If often leads to him with two feet planted and guys running around him. 

This has me curious for two reasons:

1) Is this a Kromer thing? Why not use a more vertical kick to try and keep those feet and hands active? Is it because he is so strong and when he latched on, their is no chance for the pass rusher? 

2) Is that something Kromer wants because he doesn’t want to open him up to being beat inside?

Very curious about the techniques used here, but it seems to me he is often caught flat footed when he gets too aggressive at the point of attack with those jump sets

EDIT - maybe it isn’t the set itself but the depth. He seems to get caught flat footed or leaning 

Seems he has trouble with the smaller, faster ends that can beat him around the end. Being 6’8” obviously has its advantages with the length and punch, but to my eye it seems it has to sit down in his set more.

I agree with you, I’m sure he’s learning new techniques with Kromer, and is most likely suffering through some learning mistakes. He’s been much better the last cpl of weeks so hopefully he’s starting to feel more comfortable after not having a proper training camp, and back surgery.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Riverboat Ritchie said:

Any update?  

With the game Monday night I don't think that we get injury reports until Wednesday.

He's been concussion free for a while before this. Median recovery time is 9 days, he's currently at 10 and counting. So nothing hard but I am optimistic 

43 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I think you'll see Mitch come back for the playoffs only and then I think you'll see him hang it up. He wont play the last two regular season games IMO and hopefully will have the extra week with a bye so he'll get a total of a month off essentially for the playoff push then hopefully a title and call it a day. 

Agreed, he'll do everything he can to be back for the playoffs but he's got to be thinking about his future at this point

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.