Mitch Morse December 2022 Concussion

PSUBB86

12 minutes ago, Mango said:

We knew of Morse' price tag, concussion history, and our own cap situation. I have been confused the last two offseasons that we made no effort to get somebody in house as a future replacement.

For him and his families sake I hope he hangs them up. 

Bates himself has said center is where he would prefer to play, so there's that. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

Draft a center and let him cut his teeth playing guard a couple years. 

Draft a Tackle in Rnd 1, kick Spencer Brown inside (like they should have done last year), let Bates play Center and find a serviceable Guard on the FA market.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

Mitch should call it a career, as much as I value his incredible contributions to this team on and off the field. He has to protect his ability to have a meaningful life after football for his family and loved ones. Bills fans love this guy for his professionalism and calming influence on the team and Josh. Good luck Mitch, whatever you decide.

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Draft a Tackle in Rnd 1, kick Spencer Brown inside (like they should have done last year), let Bates play Center and find a serviceable Guard on the FA market.

Do you think Brown can get the knee bend and leverage he needs on the inside at his stature? I still think he can develop at RT - if we recall back when players were developed (lol) O-lineman typically took 3 years. With SB being from a tiny program in college and his boatload of athleticism, should we not allow him another season? Tough part of course is you have to let him play out there in order for him to develop :)

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I've got a few problems with this.  First, the Bills are unlikely to be able to get their hands on a top OT if they are drafting in the late 20s or 30s.  Really good plug-and-play guards and centers, on the other hand, are frequently available at that part of the draft.  Second, Spencer Brown has spent two years learning how to play tackle in the NFL and he has a lot of the tools you want in a right tackle...are you really going to move him to guard and break in another rookie at such an important and difficult position?  Then there's the issue of whether Spencer Brown can even play guard in the NFL at 6'8", with a pretty significant injury history...     

• Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Do you think Brown can get the knee bend and leverage he needs on the inside at his stature? I still think he can develop at RT - if we recall back when players were developed (lol) O-lineman typically took 3 years. With SB being from a tiny program in college and his boatload of athleticism, should we not allow him another season? Tough part of course is you have to let him play out there in order for him to develop :)

Brown also lost time with a knee injury and a back problem last year.  He is still really green.

I hope for the best for Mitch and it's up to him how much more he plays.

Lots of folks want Bates as the future center but I prefer a true drafted college center who is trained in the intellectual

part of the position.  I'm not saying Bates can't, he just spent his college and most of his pro career moving all over the place.

Put him at LG where he excels.  Draft a RG.  2 OL picks are not too much to ask to protect Josh and let him have time to throw.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

He might have some issues in short yardage packages because he's never going to be the low man, but I think he'd mostly be fine when he's firing off the ball.

I've thought from Day 1 that he just doesn't have the feet to play Tackle in this league and I've yet to see anything since which has changed my mind. Putting him at Guard allows him to fight guys in a phone booth, which I think minimizes his greatest weakness and accentuates his greatest strength. The only real potential problem I can see is that his height might occasionally be a problem interfering with passing lanes.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.