Mitch Morse December 2022 Concussion

PSUBB86

If Morse winds up having issues the way easier fix is to move Bates to center and find a guard. But we need two because Saffold is very bad right now. He was jumping the snap count on almost every play because that is how bad his pass pro is. But Morse has been excellent so I hope he is okay. 

FA centers include Rodney Hudson, Connor McGovern, Garrett Bradbury, Scott Quessenberry (David’sbro). FA guards include Justin Pugh, Issac Seumalo, Wes Schweitzer, Eldgton Jenkins, Dalton Risner, Nate Davis, David Edwards (ram).

In the short term they need to look at John Simpson. He visited the Ravens after clearing waivers. I have seen nothing else. He would be a nice fit adding youth and strength to that interior. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 5

21 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

If Morse winds up having issues the way easier fix is to move Bates to center and find a guard. But we need two because Saffold is very bad right now. He was jumping the snap count on almost every play because that is how bad his pass pro is. But Morse has been excellent so I hope he is okay. 

FA centers include Rodney Hudson, Connor McGovern, Garrett Bradbury, Scott Quessenberry (David’sbro). FA guards include Justin Pugh, Issac Seumalo, Wes Schweitzer, Eldgton Jenkins, Dalton Risner, Nate Davis, David Edwards (ram).

In the short term they need to look at John Simpson. He visited the Ravens after clearing waivers. I have seen nothing else. He would be a nice fit adding youth and strength to that interior. 

Nice list. You have given me optimism. Let's hope Beane delivers.

8 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

If anyone actually knew the number of undiagnosed concussions their heads would explode. 

Literally or figuratively?

9 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

getting Bates back will be huge and hopefully Ike as well(remains to be seen if he can play)

Bates will be key at C imo 

Yep. VanRoten's snaps were REALLY slow to Josh.

26 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Yeah, this probably makes the decision for them (about Boettger). Bates is the Swiss Army Knife on OL, and I trust him at center. With him, it allows Mitch to take his time to come back; if he wants to and is able. Hopefully Boettger is ready to go. Although I thought Von Rotten and Quessenbury did decent after things settled last night. But man, can VR put more zip on his shotgun hikes, it looks like it is in slow motion sometimes?

We lost a ton of our offensive playbook when VanRoten came in. Since he and Josh had no snap chemistry all under center snaps stopped. I'll have to rewatch, but I'm fairly confident that all snaps in the 2nd half were shotgun.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

If anyone actually knew the number of undiagnosed concussions their heads would explode. 

that’s the big thing here- this isn’t 6, the side has had dozens. Probably multiple since the last he sat out. We will see how this one affects him. 

5 hours ago, DrPJax said:

I am fairly certain the expert known widely for  his work on PTE, would tell Morse to never play another down.( have seen him tell players this before) Very PERSONAL decision tho.  It is usually a factor that not only after more concussions do they occur more easily , the post concussive symptoms may linger more. He obviously needs to pass the cognitive testing and protocol.

I feel for him; so young and perhaps his  prior focus in life for so many years could be taken away out of his hands depending on advice and testing.  Great character guy, quiet leader with class ! Honestly in my T&p’s even tho I just know him from games/ podcasts. Hard to tell completely also as I don’t think anyone saw what impact caused it , but could be I just missed it taking my dog out during the game at times. 

that expert would probably tell most of our team to hang it up. 

football is a tricky one. When these guys get hurt we want to see them make the right choices for their families but they are all at risk every time they go out there. 

9 hours ago, JMM said:

Very very worrisome.  You can see the fall off in the line play,  it's like night and day. Plus he's the QB of the line, making protection calls. Team just can't stop getting hurt.

Saffold plays like he is permanently concussed.  He is terrible.  If Boettger is well enough, he needs to be activated and start at left guard, and put Saffold on the bench.  Without Morse and Bates this O line is bottom 3 or 4 in the league.  Lets hope Morse is not in too bad of shape.  Every concussion is different.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Saffold plays like he is permanently concussed.  He is terrible.  If Boettger is well enough, he needs to be activated and start at left guard, and put Saffold on the bench.  Without Morse and Bates this O line is bottom 3 or 4 in the league.  Lets hope Morse is not in too bad of shape.  Every concussion is different.

If Morse is good to go, I'd put Bates at LG and Boettger at RG.

10 hours ago, JMM said:

Very very worrisome.  You can see the fall off in the line play,  it's like night and day. Plus he's the QB of the line, making protection calls. Team just can't stop getting hurt.

Bates could be back soon which would be much better than van roten if morse is out for awhile.  I think people forget we’re on a third string center not second 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

Rest Mitch for the playoffs. No need to play him the rest of the regular season, esp. if we beat the Bears. I've had six concussions myself, it's not fun...each one is easier to get and there's no telling how you emotionally deal with each successive one. With my sixth, I cried. Being center on an offensive line can't be good for concussions. I'd say try to play in the playoffs, then retire, hopefully with a Super Bowl ring.

Edited by Blah Blah

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't there some speculation last off season (or maybe two off-seasons ago) that he may retire due to health concerns with these head injuries?   

I really hope he passes protocol.  He has suffered too many already and at some point you start to be really concerned for the individual.  From a fan of the team perspective, he is so crucial to our line.

If nothing else this is something Beane needs to look for is a center in the next draft . I too hope Mitch is okay and able to come back but this is the second concussion since he's been here & this is a terrible time for him to have one but better now than in a major play off game .

VanRotten although him doing a good job when thrown into the fire needs to work more on that position going forward the O line has it's set backs but losing a Canter at the wrong time could be disastrous ...

11 hours ago, Realist said:

When he went out, that’s when Buffalo’s offense stalled. He’s extremely valuable to this offense.

The line did do a great job on the final drive. Opening lanes for Motor and giving Josh time. But yes, I agree that Morse is extremely valuable.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

If Morse is good to go, I'd put Bates at LG and Boettger at RG.

Totally agree. I've been saying this most of the year. When the Bills line was rolling late last year, it was with Bates at LG not RG.

The signing of Saffold has been disastrous as it has weakened us at multiple positions

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.