NFL Week #15 - Fish at Buffalo - Post Game Thread

BuffaloBill

One surprise for me in the game was how quiet Ed Oliver was.

He’s been playing at a high level recently....I’m assuming the Dolphins keyed in on him to take him out of the game, but the Bills need him to be a game wrecker in the absence of Von Miller.

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

can't stop watching

Sometimes great players are going to do things that they "shouldn't do" like Allen extending the play and turning it into an all or nothing TD or half over. Most of the times it works out but we have to remember there will be times it won't and we can't kill him for it...part of greatness is living with the plays that don't work out in our favor because we know there will be far more that do.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, NUT said:

A win is a win. But I Fraiser needs to move on after this season.

Posted in the last week SNF thread, that the Niners and Bolts have the blueprint on how to totally throttle the Dolphins offense. Having that handed to him on a silver platter, there was approximately 0% chance that Frazier was going to gameplan that, he was always just going to run out the same old defense, allow free releases, and let Tua do the only thing he can do, which is throw to spots on timing patterns.

52 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

Here’s another one… this might be even better than the one above!  Remember, a human being who is a Dolphins fan actually typed this out:

“The only 2 question I have is......
Why was Allen not pulled from the game yesterday when Allen was clearly and visibly shaken after a blow to the head?
Why is Josh Allen not in concussion protocol today?”

They checked his back, it was fine.

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Can you provide examples of this happening when Diggs has had his frustration fits?  Spoiler: you can't.

For one thing, even if that is, in fact, what's happening when Diggs is having these fits: in the moment, he is not "watching" it.  He is minding his own store and running his own routes then reacting.  He has no idea if the other receiver just dropped the ball, was interfered with, caught a pass that was ruled incomplete, or the DB just made a good PD.  He's not watching replays on the big screen and then having a fit - he is open, he knows he's open, and he's reacting immediately because he was open and not targeted and he thinks he should be. 

That's "Me Ball", not "We Ball".

Allen was 16 of 23 and the Bills were 5 of 6 on 3rd down conversions in the first half with 3 TDs.  The Bills were executing in the 1st half.

At the point where Diggs had his hissy, the Bills had just driven from their own 25 to the Mia 33 in 4 plays.  Guys were executing.  The one who just missed catching a pass was Diggs himself, but that wouldn't have mattered because of OH call.  The "hissy" play didn't matter because of OH.

Diggs is not just some selfless team guy who reacts like that only when his WR buds screw up and he could save the day.  That doesn't match what we actually see.

I think Diggs would have eventually been more open, but as you note, Allen didn't have time.

Yep, they should just cut him today...right?  

• Eyeroll 1

Was a great game great atmosphere.  Especially when the snow started the game absolutely turned, you could feel it.

Josh was an animal.  That long run was great. Two point conversion was awesome! 

Singletary did a great job running that last drive. Had a good game overall. Good job pass blocking.

Taron had a great game. Did a good job covering Hill and tackling.

Knox had some great catches last night and RAC. Problem is, loses concentration and misses critical catches that are right in his hands, or within his catch radius.

McKenzie had a better game last night for sure, but still missed a few catches.  Sideline challenged catch he should have kept control, but it was a tough catch.

Hamlin does not know how to take the right angles on plays. Liability on long plays.

What the heck was Lewis doing on that punt?? Not pushed or blocked into the punter, just full steam ahead. Taught to pull up in pee wee football.

Next man up on Oline again. Guys did a good job with Van Rotten already in and then having to slide over to center and Q coming in.  Gotta say Saffold had a tough game. Out of position on a few plays, stance way too wide.

Bills won a game they needed to win. Clinched a playoff spot and one win away from AFC East!

Go Bills!

1 hour ago, Special K said:

One surprise for me in the game was how quiet Ed Oliver was.

He’s been playing at a high level recently....I’m assuming the Dolphins keyed in on him to take him out of the game, but the Bills need him to be a game wrecker in the absence of Von Miller.

I think he’s playing with one arm.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, BillsVet said:

I don't understand how you can make the first observation and then make the 2nd, 3rd, perhaps 4th, 5th, and 6th.  

Last off-season on offense McBeane were all about reducing Josh's carries and here we are back to needing him to run to manufacture offense again.  

They whiffed on the UFA OL signings and they're still not strong running the ball.  Cook may catch passes, but you want more from a 2nd round RB.  Sum is that the running game is still not good and they lack the 3rd receiver.  Perhaps they're trying to make up for it with better pass-catching RBs but they've also spent a lot getting those guys.   

They are 11-3, but seeing them scrape by against Miami at home is a harbinger of things to come in the playoffs.  Miami is no pushover, but Buffalo is likely to face better (KC, CIN) in the playoffs at some point  

The reality is that the team is 11-3 and we need to look at the overall picture.  There are a number of areas that need improvement, but overall, the team has strengths and a top QB with a shot for home field advantage for the AFC playoffs.  For sure, there are things to be critical about, but the team currently is in a good place.  All of the top teams in the NFL have deficiencies at this point in the season.  The free agents acquired for the o-line were low budget types, and they are playing at that level.  I think the team expected more from Gabe and Crowder this season, and that has not happened.  Agree that the our RB situation is curious at best, but Beane clearly was interested in McCaffrey, and Singletary will be a free agent after this season, so I expect Cook will be the guy going forward, for good or for bad.  I think we all wanted more from our draft picks in 2022, but we do need to give them time before making judgements about their long term prospects with the Bills.

I do feel confident that Beane and the coaching staff know where we need to improve going forward and I trust that they will continue to make moves to make that happen.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I'm sure he wants to win, but he's also 3rd in the league in receptions and yards right now - with Tyreek Hill, #2, ahead of him, on the opposite side of the ball.  I think it's highly naive to think he "just wants to win" and doesn't care about touches or stats.  If he "just wants to win", he should be happy when Josh throws a completion short or hands the ball off, and we move the chains.

I won't pretend to know what's going on in his head. But seems to me he gets fired up when the offense is stagnating. Because he believes he can pull them out. So far this year, it's Diggs and Allen as the only consistent playmakers.

I don't see him getting pissed about touches when the offense is humming along. I didn't see him upset when they were up 21 - 13 with TDs going to tight ends and RBs. He was the first one sliding into Bass after the game winner. He's very much a team guy by all accounts. 

7 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Yes correct

It's him and Allen on offense and only one of them is required to hide his frustration as the face of the franchise

That's such a good point.

5 hours ago, Nineforty said:

Anyone notice on the kneel down that Josh was not under center (full house??)..

I am guessing that was because Morse was out or because of the fumbled snap earlier in the year at the 1 yard line, or both. 

Miami had no timeouts so taking extra time off the clock wasn't it.

Just found it interesting and new.. 

Yes, I saw that, and it concerned me.  

Typically, the shot gun snap is tougher than the hands under center snap.   That was unusual, especially in cold, wet, and snow.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.