Brown - Productive Fairly Recently

MarlinTheMagician

I am excited to have Bease back, all is forgiven.  I think he will help.

I have always respected the smoothness of John Brown's game and his professional approach.  This popped up -- 2020-21 (playoffs) highlights -- and it reminds me he was pretty darn productive not that long ago.  I am aware of the drop-off and the layoff and the risk he lost it all at once.  On the other hand, I think it is just as plausible he was nicked in his last year here, couldn't find a good fit last year, but is now healthy and could meaningfully contribute.  There is cause for optimism - he had three yards of separation on Bills second possession vs Jets vs a fine corner and Josh underthrew him.  Should have been an easy TD, but the underthrow allowed a goal line break-up.  Thought you might enjoy. 

John Brown Highlights 2020-2021 NFL Season: “Back to Buffalo!!” - YouTube    (Not sure how this will hotlink it, but if doesn't you can cut and paste).

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

I have always respected the smoothness of John Brown's game and his professional approach.  This popped up -- 2020-21 (playoffs) highlights -- and it reminds me he was pretty darn productive not that long ago.  I am aware of the drop-off and the layoff and the risk he lost it all at once.  On the other hand, I think it is just as plausible he was nicked in his last year here, couldn't find a good fit last year, but is now healthy and could meaningfully contribute.  There is cause for optimism - he had three yards of separation on Bills second possession vs Jets vs a fine corner and Josh underthrew him.  Should have been an easy TD, but the underthrow allowed a goal line break-up.  Thought you might enjoy. 

John Brown Highlights 2020-2021 NFL Season: “Back to Buffalo!!” - YouTube    (Not sure how this will hotlink it, but if doesn't you can cut and paste).

With the rain, snow and wind, hard to fault Allen on that one (not to mention elbow and shoulder issues Allen has been playing with). Now McKenzie's issue (bad hands) is another subject... Here's to hoping Beasley and Brown add some positive spark to the offense.

• Like (+1) 3

Except that he beat Sauce pretty damn good (but maybe Sauce isn’t as good as peeps say).  Allen steps into that throw instead of a jump throw and that’s a TD.  One pass, one route -  he may or may not have lost a step but waaaay to premature to start shoveling dirt on him. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

With the rain, snow and wind, hard to fault Allen on that one (not to mention elbow and shoulder issues Allen has been playing with). Now McKenzie's issue (bad hands) is another subject... Here's to hoping Beasley and Brown add some positive spark to the offense.

Not blaming my boy Josh - extenuating circumstances - just pointing out the objective fact that Smoke beat his man clean and if the ball is there it is an easy six.

3 hours ago, Trock said:

In hindsight Bease was right. What are you forgiving him for? You should be apologizing. 

You misunderstood my point, and have the need to apologize backwards  - I am saying, personally, sounds to me like Beasely knows he made some bad choices and he has taken ownership of them.  So, as far as my being able to root for him, Beasely has a clean slate with me!  Was not saying anything about Beane - he did make the right choice at the time, no doubt.  I did not suggest he didn't.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Bockeye said:

Except that he beat Sauce pretty damn good (but maybe Sauce isn’t as good as peeps say).  Allen steps into that throw instead of a jump throw and that’s a TD.  One pass, one route -  he may or may not have lost a step but waaaay to premature to start shoveling dirt on him. 

Agree with the sentiment, but it was Reed, not Sauce.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Productive fairly recently as in "he has zero receptions since 2020"?

Brown has lost all of his steps.

2020 is not exactly 2015, yeah, less than 2 years is pretty recent.  No reason to believe his body has necessarily imploded in roughly two years with no hits.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

I think both will contribute just enough to make it into the playoff run. That throw to Smoke last week was underthrown but Josh gets a pass because of his elbow and the elements. I think McKenzie is a lost cause and we need to see what the hell we have in Shakir.

Once in awhile we try a long ball to Gabe but Dorsey's system thrives on the underneath stuff, the holes in the zones etc. 

Very rarely are we seeing anything but 2 deep safeties, so our bread and butter is 5-15 yarders, and even though they're smaller guys, Brown and Bease have hundreds of catches underneath. 

Both have great hands and know how to free up and get back to Josh if he is extending the play.

Brown has the ability to setup guys with his double move and still has the speed to separate as we saw vs Jets.

Pumped for these guys to be back in the saddle.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I think both will contribute just enough to make it into the playoff run. That throw to Smoke last week was underthrown but Josh gets a pass because of his elbow and the elements. I think McKenzie is a lost cause and we need to see what the hell we have in Shakir.

I like Brown, even just for a few go routes to soften up the D. I think he still has some juice left and is a great late season addition. I'll hold my tongue on Beasley until I see him on the field for a few plays, but, I do think worse case he gives Josh some confidence and a safety outlet if needed. He said the right things in his presser and I could care less about the covid stuff. I like people that speak their mind.

As to McKenzie,  I disagree (shocker I know😉), far from a lost cause, just needs to be used for what he's best at. Gadget plays and against man coverage. 

I like Shakir and hope he gets a role, but, I think people are expecting more than what he is. He's a 70% catch guy without elite traits ( speed, quickness or explosion). 4-5 wr at best IMO ( be more than happy to admit it if I am wrong). He will be an average at best slot receiver. Far from a " Diamond in the ruff" like some people think.

Edited by LyndonvilleBill
Spelling
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Agree with the sentiment, but it was Reed, not Sauce.

2020 is not exactly 2015, yeah, less than 2 years is pretty recent.  No reason to believe his body has necessarily imploded in roughly two years with no hits.

it's not about "imploding"....

7 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I really wanted MvKenzie to work out, he flashed some good things, but I have to agree. Rewatched the Bills-KC game and counted three drops in the 1st half alone. If you don't catch the ball, it matters not if you can get open Isiah....

17 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

He hasn't had a reception since the 2020 season when he last played here.

There's a reason he was available on the street right now and why multiple teams have cut him the last few years.

So in this case being 'fairly productive recently' doesn't jive and still think he's going to be released any day now and won't even be called up again.

18 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

The rap on McKenzie when he came to Buffalo from Denver was his hands.  Not much has changed about that.  He isn't playing at the level he did last year.

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

He hasn't had a reception since the 2020 season when he last played here.

There's a reason he was available on the street right now and why multiple teams have cut him the last few years.

So in this case being 'fairly productive recently' doesn't jive and still think he's going to be released any day now and won't even be called up again.

This is certainly a possibility.

He knows our system and can read defenses so that is half the battle, but who knows if that will translate to production on the field?

We will see if he gets elevated from the PS, and see from there if he has enough left in the tank to help this offense.

7 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I like Brown, even just for a few go routes to soften up the D. I think he still has some juice left and is a great late season addition. I'll hold my tongue on Beasley until I see him on the field for a few plays, but, I do think worse case he gives Josh some confidence and a safety outlet if needed. He said the right things in his presser and I could care less about the covid stuff. I like people that speak their mind.

As to McKenzie,  I disagree (shocker I know😉), far from a lost cause, just needs to be used for what he's best at. Gadget plays and against man coverage. 

I like Shakir and hope he gets a role, but, I think people are expecting more than what he is. He's a 70% catch guy without elite traits ( speed, quickness or explosion). 4-5 wr at best IMO ( be more than happy to admit it if I am wrong). He will be an average at best slot receiver. Far from a " Diamond in the ruff" like some people think.

I thought I remember reading Shakir had elite, “quickness” as in getting up to top speed quickly? 

56 minutes ago, Tanoros said:

I thought I remember reading Shakir had elite, “quickness” as in getting up to top speed quickly? 

Considering how slowly this org brought Gabe along, I get the sense they prefer veteran receiving targets.

Reading defenses, being in the right place, and knowing your assignments each play seem to be valued over raw talent.

Probably why McKenzie always seems to be on the bubble each year although the fans generally have supported him.

Shakir may have a lot of promise, but I thought it was a long shot he would see a lot of snaps and playing time this year.

1 hour ago, Tanoros said:

Not from what I have read or seen. More build up speed than track speed.

Maybe not the best site, but I like the way it's laid out.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Khalil-Shakir-WR-BoiseState

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.