NFL Rules on Heaters For Sidelines?

Warriorspikes51

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yet... Miami gets one big permanent tent. The roof above them!

How does that float with the League?

I am less concerned with it being equal on both sides and much more concerned with player safety. I would be opposed to Miami tearing off part of their roof to even things out. That only increases the risk pool and solves nothing.

That stadium was built nearly 40 years ago. We certainly have more severe weather spikes these days so the situation has changed in the nearly two generations that have since passed. For example, the growing season in Vermont is about 2 weeks longer now than when the stadium was built. Apples are struggling but they have a host of new crops as well. 

In 1987 this was much much less of a concern and more of a quirky homefield advantage.  Much like every other climate issue, this has sort of crept up to a point that now requires swift action because of safety. I would hope the NFLPA gets involved at some point as well. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

I am less concerned with it being equal on both sides and much more concerned with player safety. I would be opposed to Miami tearing off part of their roof to even things out. That only increases the risk pool and solves nothing.

That stadium was built nearly 40 years ago. We certainly have more severe weather spikes these days so the situation has changed in the nearly two generations that have since passed. For example, the growing season in Vermont is about 2 weeks longer now than when the stadium was built. Apples are struggling but they have a host of new crops as well. 

In 1987 this was much much less of a concern and more of a quirky homefield advantage.  Much like every other climate issue, this has sort of crept up to a point that now requires swift action because of safety. I would hope the NFLPA gets involved at some point as well. 

There's a hole in roof... Why not a retractable "SunSetter" type thing/shade...

In 1987... It was more equal.  It's the new roof that creates the safety hazard. 

They protect the fans, HomeTeam, but not the visiting team...

• Like (+1) 1

People act like the dolphins purposely set out to do something sinister with the roof design. The hole in the roof is directly over the field. The intent is not to cook the opponents but to keep the SEATS out of the sun and rain.  The Dolphins simply choose to take the south sideline where, being in the northern hemisphere, it’ll by definition be in the shade. What did people want them to do? 

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

People act like the dolphins purposely set out to do something sinister with the roof design. The hole in the roof is directly over the field. The intent is not to cook the opponents but to keep the SEATS out of the sun and rain.  The Dolphins simply choose to take the south sideline where, being in the northern hemisphere, it’ll by definition be in the shade. What did people want them to do? 

No A/C or fans for the Bills allowed on the sideline... is that not sinister?

I say no heat for anyone on the sidelines... let the Fins freeze their meat and two vegs off.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

The new stadium should have the Bills bench safe from the elements but the road sideline be exposed like Miami does only the snow and such will fall on them more

I've seen renderings of the new stadium that show wind baffles outside the stadium that funnel the wind, rain, and snow directly to the visitors bench.  There is also a partial roof that not only covers only the home team sidelines, but is mobile and follows them onto the field!

• Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I say no heat for anyone on the sidelines... let the Fins freeze their meat and two vegs off.

Yes, but that’s not the stadium design. That’s how the Dolphins operate the place. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Ahhhhh!!!!!That isn't true at all and the Bills have no capability to ban anything on the opposing sideline!!!!

I have said it a bunch of times in this thread, Buffalo fans have been misinterpreting the equity rule for months now. For reference. Dawkins was mic'd up for that game. Here he is (3:29 mark) under the shade. The cooling benches are to his right, and 6+ misting/cooling fans are blowing behind him. 

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/mic-d-up-dion-dawkins-x2743

Visiting teams are welcome to travel with any equipment that is allowed by league rules. The home team is required to provide identical equipment to what they are using. But home teams cannot prohibit what visitors can use. MIA in LA is a perfect example. LA did not use heaters, Miami brought their own and used them. That is allowed. 

The Bills brought their own cooling benches, cooling fans, and had trainers holding shade above them. What the equity rule does require Miami to provide the same cooling fans to visitors that they are using. If Miami chooses not to use cooling fans, that does not prohibit Buffalo from brining and using their own. The issue is that in that kind of heat without protection from the direct sunlight those tools are basically useless. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 4

54 minutes ago, Mango said:

Ahhhhh!!!!!That isn't true at all and the Bills have no capability to ban anything on the opposing sideline!!!!

I have said it a bunch of times in this thread, Buffalo fans have been misinterpreting the equity rule for months now. For reference. Dawkins was mic'd up for that game. Here he is (3:29 mark) under the shade. The cooling benches are to his right, and 6+ misting/cooling fans are blowing behind him. 

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/mic-d-up-dion-dawkins-x2743

Visiting teams are welcome to travel with any equipment that is allowed by league rules. The home team is required to provide identical equipment to what they are using. But home teams cannot prohibit what visitors can use. MIA in LA is a perfect example. LA did not use heaters, Miami brought their own and used them. That is allowed. 

The Bills brought their own cooling benches, cooling fans, and had trainers holding shade above them. What the equity rule does require Miami to provide the same cooling fans to visitors that they are using. If Miami chooses not to use cooling fans, that does not prohibit Buffalo from brining and using their own. The issue is that in that kind of heat without protection from the direct sunlight those tools are basically useless. 

And the biggest cooling device that the Dolphins are using is their stadium roof which is not afforded to the visitor... If they are using it, why can't the visitors.

Only solution right now: Change sides at halftime.

You'd think the roof falls under same equity rule as fans and misters...?

5 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Then why were they running around the Bills sideline in September in Miami... With portable sunshades and fans?  Miami wasn't using them. 

I think eventually they said “screw it, try to fine us if you want”. They did rig up some stuff eventually, sadly it was too little too late or we’d have won that game.

That was one for the ages. I was at a game like that in Jax, and I thought we might die in the stands. We watched on little monitors over concession stands in the shade and AC of the club area. 

5 hours ago, babulator said:

IDK ,I work outside 8 hours a day on most days and I don't need to wheel a heater around behind me. Granted, I'm not wearing tights, but I say Freeze the Fish!

Agree.  Buffalo should ditch the heaters for this game and make the Dolphins suffer.  The Bills have all week to get used the the cold and Miami does not.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think eventually they said “screw it, try to fine us if you want”. They did rig up some stuff eventually, sadly it was too little too late or we’d have won that game.

That was one for the ages. I was at a game like that in Jax, and I thought we might die in the stands. We watched on little monitors over concession stands in the shade and AC of the club area. 

My brother was at a Jax game in September... Fans were dropping like sacks of wet cement... 😆 That might be the game!

15 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

My brother was at a Jax game in September... Fans were dropping like sacks of wet cement... 😆 That might be the game!

Mine was years ago, but it was similar I’m sure. We were rotating OL so they didn’t pass out. After that I learned to turn down free tix in FL early in the season. There’s a good reason they were free! 

EDIT: The hot one for me in Jax was the first season with Marcus Stroud after he spent years in Jacksonville. He said it was the hottest game he ever played in. It was BRUTAL! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RangerDave said:

I've seen renderings of the new stadium that show wind baffles outside the stadium that funnel the wind, rain, and snow directly to the visitors bench.  There is also a partial roof that not only covers only the home team sidelines, but is mobile and follows them onto the field!

Drones carrying pieces of roofing that fly above home players

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.