NFL Rules on Heaters For Sidelines?

Warriorspikes51

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

Teams have to use the same equipment as the opposing team, so there's no advantage.  So if Miami brings up the Desert Blaster 2000 Bench Warmer, and the Bills say they won't use their bench warmer, Miami can't use theirs. 

The question is like retractable roofs, which some stadiums have, when does this need to be declared?

If Bills say no heating equipment can they declare it when inactives need to be declared so Bills players and staff know equipment to wear?

Personally I think it is time to do a Pat(hetic)s trick in response to Phish half sun stadium and have mysterious fuses blown when Phish equipment is hooked up.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

We should have heaters on the sideline.  It doesn’t matter that Miami will be allowed them as well. Our players don’t wanna be out there in the cold with no heat. Period

Agreed!  

I swear I feel like so many people completely over look this home field cold "advantage" against opponents ALSO affects our team and players too.  And our team doesn't play well in the cold either and isn't built for the cold.  So why hurt us and what we do well to try and maybe impact the opponent some.  

And I will say it right now...if it came down to who can run the ball better, I would trust the tandem of Wilson and Mostert more than I would Devin and Cook (who falls down if the wind blows).  So lets not try and make this a must run to win game because we will be the ones probably impacted the most.  

I am not worried about Allens ability to out duel over rated Tua.  I am worried about our OL and RB's out rushing the Dolphins if neither team can throw.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

Just now, Gugny said:

Vikings played there last year and there was a 30 degree difference; Vikings' sideline was 120 degrees.  Vikings won.

Oh I know that’s what I’m saying haha I see it more as embarrassing for them that they can have a sizable advantage like that and still lose.  Just because they lose some games doesn’t disprove the fact that the sideline situation can have a big effect on the game imo.   

58 minutes ago, babulator said:

IDK ,I work outside 8 hours a day on most days and I don't need to wheel a heater around behind me. Granted, I'm not wearing tights, but I say Freeze the Fish!

You're also (probably) not alternating periods of extreme, high exertion elite-level athletics with periods of total inactivity.  That's gotta be rough.

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Oh I know that’s what I’m saying haha I see it more as embarrassing for them that they can have a sizable advantage like that and still lose.  Just because they lose some games doesn’t disprove the fact that the sideline situation can have a big effect on the game imo.   

It absolutely has an effect on the game.  And playing in Buffalo (or any other cold weather city) isn't comparable, because both teams have the same conditions to deal with.

I really do think it should be addressed by the NFL.  More out of player safety (we all know that a player will need to at least come close to dying before the NFL or NFLPA will do anything) than fairness.

It's a total shitshow, but I guess my original point is that I find it a little funny that so many Bills fans want "revenge" by having them come here in crappy weather.

Yeah ... the Bills get to prepare for it a little more by practicing in the cold, but in the end, both teams are playing in identical conditions.

• Agree 1

Actually, I have a fool proof remedy to the Dolphin stadium issue.

Just institute a rule where the visiting team gets to choose which sideline to sit on and rescind the rule where the home team can decide which color jersey they wear. Home teams wear their home-colored Jersey and visitors wear white.

I would hazard to guess that some shade would be installed on the "visitors side" post haste. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Vikings played there last year and there was a 30 degree difference; Vikings' sideline was 120 degrees.  Vikings won.

Vikings were forewarned due to issues in Bills game.  One of the hottest on record.

And Miami plays a lot worse on road so we will see if the tropical fish swims as well in an icy pond.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/dolphins-home-and-away-record

image.thumb.png.94d928e12cf6b27c8b0d20d110727882.png

Frozen-Fish.png

Teams have to use the same equipment as the opposing team, so there's no advantage.  So if Miami brings up the Desert Blaster 2000 Bench Warmer, and the Bills say they won't use their bench warmer, Miami can't use theirs. 

What about heater packs under jerseys or in shoes etc.? Does the NFL police what the players are layering with? 

Guys and gals, the advantage lies in the fact that the Bills players are deep into the season and they are living (at least for now) in WNY.

The Fish are living in Miami, where it is summer year round.

Buffalo weather is going to be a HUGE shock to them, whereas the Bills are accustomed to it now.

Heaters or not, the Fish are going to be miserable in this game!

Tua grew up in HAWAII!   

He went to school at ALABAMA!

He plays in MIAMI!

How many days has he been exposed IN HIS LIFE to garbage winter weather?

I don't think that is the case. I believe that the equity rule means that if the Bills use a heated bench, or if they have 3 fans on the sideline they have to also provide 3 of the same fans to the Dolphins. The Dolphins are allowed to bring and use any piece of sideline equipment of their own that doesn't violate league rules.

As an example, the entire league is making fun of the Dolphins for using heaters in LA. By your understanding of the rules that means LA was also using heaters on a 55 degree night. So pundits have been entirely silent on the local LA team needing heaters on a warm night and are all vocally ragging on Miami? It doesn't make sense. Miami brought their own fans and used them. 

The Bills had a working cooling bench and AC units in Miami. The issue is the direct sunlight and league rules prevent them from putting up tents and the heat renders the AC units basically useless. There were quotes from players that the bench couldn't keep up with the heat, and the cold air fans were just blowing warm air and were useless. The Pats circumvented the tent issues with temporary structures at one point. I think they had people holding up tarps over the benches and it didn't impede sightlines. 

37 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Agreed. Now who wants to volunteer to stick a fork in the outlet on Miami's sideline?

There’s a handful of TBDers that I’d like to nominate!!

17 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Agreed!  

I swear I feel like so many people completely over look this home field cold "advantage" against opponents ALSO affects our team and players too.  And our team doesn't play well in the cold either and isn't built for the cold.  So why hurt us and what we do well to try and maybe impact the opponent some.  

And I will say it right now...if it came down to who can run the ball better, I would trust the tandem of Wilson and Mostert more than I would Devin and Cook (who falls down if the wind blows).  So lets not try and make this a must run to win game because we will be the ones probably impacted the most.  

I am not worried about Allens ability to out duel over rated Tua.  I am worried about our OL and RB's out rushing the Dolphins if neither team can throw.  

I’m just worried about our run play calls and our run blocking.  I’m not worried about our RBs in the least.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

How convenient that the dolphins are not mandated to provide protection from excessive heat in their crib but The Bills mandated to provide them equal protection from Our inclement elements?

what am I missing here? I call BS

57 minutes ago, rusty shackleford said:

This story makes it confusing around what the rule actually is. Sounds like the rule is both teams need to use the same equipment but the story just points out the Dolphins sideline. If that actually is the rule then it would seem the Chargers had to be using them as well. 

I posted above. But I understand the rule as teams can bring anything they want within league rules. But if the Bills use a heated bench on their sideline, they have to provide an identical bench on the visitors sideline. Miami would be welcome to turn that down and use their own benches. But the Bills have to provide the same equipment they use. This is what happened in LA. 

The issue in Miami is that traditional cooling units were rendered useless when they sit for 3 hours in 120 degree direct sunlight. It is the tent rule that screws teams over in Miami. 

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Guys and gals, the advantage lies in the fact that the Bills players are deep into the season and they are living (at least for now) in WNY.

The Fish are living in Miami, where it is summer year round.

Buffalo weather is going to be a HUGE shock to them, whereas the Bills are accustomed to it now.

Actually, it gets cold down here in Florida too we're in the midst of winter here it's 77 degrees Brrrrrrrrr, time to pull the fur lined flip flops out of the closet.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Gen2 said:

Actually, it gets cold down here in Florida too we're in the midst of winter here it's 77 degrees Brrrrrrrrr, time to pull the fur lined flip flops out of the closet.

LOL.  I live in Palm Beach Gardens.  IT's 86 right now; I'm about to leave for my daily walk on the beach in bathing shorts and nothing else.

There are "seasons" in FL, but they are mild and subtle.

I grew up and lived in Buffalo for 28 years.  I would DIE if I had to go up there on Saturday.

Now, 60 degree weather feels like -10 to me.

I've gone "Floridian."

Dear God.

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

I posted above. But I understand the rule as teams can bring anything they want within league rules. But if the Bills use a heated bench on their sideline, they have to provide an identical bench on the visitors sideline. Miami would be welcome to turn that down and use their own benches. But the Bills have to provide the same equipment they use. This is what happened in LA. 

The issue in Miami is that traditional cooling units were rendered useless when they sit for 3 hours in 120 degree direct sunlight. It is the tent rule that screws teams over in Miami. 

That makes a lot more sense.

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

LOL.  I live in Palm Beach Gardens.  IT's 86 right now; I'm about to leave for my daily walk on the beach in bathing shorts and nothing else.

There are "seasons" in FL, but they are mild and subtle.

I grew up and lived in Buffalo for 28 years.  I would DIE if I had to go up there on Saturday.

Now, 60 degree weather feels like -10 to me.

I've gone "Floridian."

Dear God.

go on...

• Haha (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, muppy said:

How convenient that the dolphins are not mandated to provide protection from excessive heat in their crib but The Bills mandated to provide them equal protection from Our inclement elements?

what am I missing here? I call BS

The Bills had cooling benches and AC units. So did the Dolphins. The issue is direct sunlight and the NFL is protecting line of sight for camera's and fans over players so teams cannot bring tents. 

Bill Bellichick has circumvented that rule with temporary shade covers over the benches. It was certainly smart, but ultimately I wish that somebody didn't need to find a loophole for such a rule. 

Given the fact that the Vikings and Bills both had dangerous weather and this has become a national topic, I would not be shocked to see some sort of rule change proposed this offseason. Miami is installing cooling fans in the upper deck on that side of the field for their fans. Something should be done in the same of safety, the rule isn't cutting it. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.