Falcons QB Marcus Mariota has left the building(leaves team after being benched)

Big Turk

What a great teammate...was told he was being benched and got up and left the building apparently. Has also not given the team or coaches any indication of if or when he will return.

https://sports.yahoo.com/falcons-qb-marcus-mariota-leaves-after-benching-team-unsure-if-he-will-return-183430011.html

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

• Big Turk changed the title to Falcons QB Marcus Mariota has left the building(leaves team after being benched)
1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

What a great teammate...was told he was being benched and got up and left the building apparently. Has also given the team or coaches any indication of if or when he will return.

https://sports.yahoo.com/falcons-qb-marcus-mariota-leaves-after-benching-team-unsure-if-he-will-return-183430011.html

I can't see him getting another job in the NFL after that, prior he had a chance to be a backup in the very least. Now he just blew that chance as not a good look for him at all. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

What a great teammate...was told he was being benched and got up and left the building apparently. Has also given the team or coaches any indication of if or when he will return.

He was a last hope mercenary as it was, and never really a "Falcon" at heart. Not a great look, but also not too shocked considering the state of that team in general.

It's an obvious tanking move, and telling Mariota that he is playing too good and the team is winning too much. Heck, he has them 1 game out of 1st place in the Division, and theyre going to pull the plug NOW? I can see how that would offend him with all the work and effort he put in. Why bother sticking around if management wants to actively lose the last 4 games?

Again, not a great look, but I give players on tanking teams a lot of leeway. It has to be tough.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 8

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

That seems out of character for Mariota. His reputation has always been a pretty positive one so I find this kind of shocking. Perhaps there is more to the story. 

Yea agreed. Does seem out of character for him. When the Titans benched him there was a lot about how he took it like a pro then he was a backup for a year in Vegas without any issues. Wonder if it is just VERY obvious to everyone that Ridder is not good. If that is the case this is a risk for Arthur Smith because he is about to hit the end of year 2 and that team is going nowhere. If he benches a better player when only two games out of 1st for a sucky kid then that locker room will get toxic fast. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Does this mean I no longer have to watch:

- Non-stop First Hawaiian Bank Marcus Marriota commercials?

- Non-stop Island Insurance Marcus Marriota commercials?

- And most frustrating, Atlanta Falcons games always taking priority over the Nationally aired NFL games? (FYI, for those outside the Hawaii market, if a "local Polynesian guy" makes it in the NFL, then the team he's playing for is what's usually broadcast here in the islands - often taking priority over a much preferred, more competitive, meaningful game).

Truly nauseating! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Backup QB is the best job in the world. He could easily make $5 mil per season for the next 10 years. He's going to flush $50 million + down the drain because he got his feelings hurt? Boo hoo

He's treated like a god out here in Hawaii, where he's from, (A truly overhyped pathetic display).   The guys out here are usually extremely sensitive types, so him leaving the team like he did kinda lines up with everything else.

43 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He was a last hope mercenary as it was, and never really a "Falcon" at heart. Not a great look, but also not too shocked considering the state of that team in general.

It's an obvious tanking move, and telling Mariota that he is playing too good and the team is winning too much. Heck, he has them 1 game out of 1st place in the Division, and theyre going to pull the plug NOW? I can see how that would offend him with all the work and effort he put in. Why bother sticking around if management wants to actively lose the last 4 games?

Again, not a great look, but I give players on tanking teams a lot of leeway. It has to be tough.

Great observation and would make a lot of sense.  Seems odd though they would abandon ship when they could still win the division.

19 minutes ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

Does this mean I no longer have to watch:

- Non-stop First Hawaiian Bank Marcus Marriota commercials?

- Non-stop Island Insurance Marcus Marriota commercials?

- And most frustrating, Atlanta Falcons games always taking priority over the Nationally aired NFL games? (FYI, for those outside the Hawaii market, if a "local Polynesian guy" makes it in the NFL, then the team he's playing for is what's usually broadcast here in the islands - often taking priority over a much preferred, more competitive, meaningful game).

Truly nauseating! 

You must get a lot of Fins games then.

15 minutes ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

He's treated like a god out here in Hawaii, where he's from, (A truly overhyped pathetic display).   The guys out here are usually extremely sensitive types, so him leaving the team like he did kinda lines up with everything else.

Soy boys?

To me, it sounds like his knee injury has somehow played a part in this, with Smith's comments on it. Perhaps Smith told Mariota he was going to be made the back up, Mariota asked to save face by going on IR, or told him if he was going to be benched he wanted to have his knee looked at, Smith refused and, at that point, Mariota walked (limped) out?

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Soy boys?

You got it!  It's another reason why I truly appreciate my annual return visit to Western NY. 

Long story short,  I am "forced" to live out here in Hawaii.  In summary, I got a native girl pregnant, (While assigned out here with the US Army), had the child, and per custody arrangement, cant move to another state, (Unless I want to leave him behind - not happening!).  He's almost age 14, so I am almost free.  And best of all, son is a Bills fan and seems to truly love Western NY - especially the great people at the "Miss Batavia Diner!  He's been to a game the last 2 years.  Anyway, that's my story.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.