Where was the best hamburger you’ve ever ate?

Another Fan

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

There are three locations.  Which one have you been to and is it safe to assume the burgers will be/taste the same across all locations?  I'd like to try the one near Central Park sometime.

Thompson Central Park, used to be the Parker Meridian, is the one I’ve been too.  

https://www.burgerjointny.com/about

• Thank you (+1) 1

With such a broad topic, I was surprised that two burgers immediately came to mind. The first is Zip’s outside of Cincinnati. It was one of my favorite joints during college and they just have great burgers. It’s on the list of stops every time I get back to town. I think @Seasons1992 probably has tried them. 

The other place is Gecko’s, a sport bar kinda place with a few locations around Sarasota, FL. Their first location opened within walking distance of my house when we moved there in 1993. Great burger with lettuce tomato and red onion. When I was feeling crazy blue cheese went on. Some burgers slide all over and become hard to eat because of the “extras”, and some have better buns, I guess. 

Neither of these places does anything you can point to that makes it so good, but they are just so right in different and delicious ways. 

Edited by Augie

Several years ago we went into Manhattan to see the Carol King play on an April day. When it was over we went across the street to a pub/restaurant that advertised a burger made of steak tail from a porterhouse. When we could afford it, every once in a while my mother used to buy big steaks and have the butcher grind the tail and make hamburgers from it. It was nothing short of exquisite.

To make things even better, the restaurant was televising the yearly Alabama "A" Game. It as the first time I saw John Metchie play.Talk about a perfect day!!!!! :) :) 

If there are any butchers out here, why is it all but impossible to find steak tail these days?

13 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Several years ago we went into Manhattan to see the Carol King play on an April day. When it was over we went across the street to a pub/restaurant that advertised a burger made of steak tail from a porterhouse. When we could afford it, every once in a while my mother used to buy big steaks and have the butcher grind the tail and make hamburgers from it. It was nothing short of exquisite.

To make things even better, the restaurant was televising the yearly Alabama "A" Game. It as the first time I saw John Metchie play.Talk about a perfect day!!!!! :) :) 

If there are any butchers out here, why is it all but impossible to find steak tail these days?

Good question Bill, i believe the steak tail is referring to the cut known as tri-tip, it was a staple at our restaurant for a long time and suddenly about two years ago could not find any suppliers for it.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Grover's in East Amherst, New York.

The building used to be Grover Cleveland's hunting lodge back in the day. 

I think that is the stretched truth. It isn’t proven anywhere and in fact appears by historical records to be inaccurate.Skip to slide 37 for the records.

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I can tell you the most disappointing burger was Craigie on Main in Boston.  They make like 20 burgers a night (its a fine dining restaurant) and its first come first served. So we waited outside for an hour before the doors opened to secure a burger and it had almost no sear, it was very juicy but not much on flavor, the bun was sopping wet.  I think they sous vide that thing.  But the worst part was their house made ketchup which had none of the umami or sweetness of ketchup.  Total fail.  No clue why it was such a big deal.  Scarcity is not a substitute for quality.  

Boston sucks

5 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I have to say that now that I have perfected making my own smashburger, nothing beats it.  It is so perfect and easy. 

Blackstone? We do the same. Onions, jalapeños and melted cheese….

4 hours ago, mead107 said:

McDonald’s quarter pounder with cheese 

Even better now that they make them "fresh" when you order, instead of sitting in the warmer for an hour after cooking. 

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

My nephew is, I will try to get in touch and ask him.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Boston sucks

Blackstone? We do the same. Onions, jalapeños and melted cheese….

I don’t have a blackstone…. Yet. It’s on my Christmas list. I just use a skillet, and a smasher. 

Put a mayo/mustard mix on the meat as it cooks, and sear it right into it. Melt cheese. Add chopped lettuce, sautéed onions, some special sauce on a toasted sesame seed bun. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Bad Things said:

I've had a lot of plain and fancy burgers in my time, but as soon as I saw the question, I immediately thought of my top four.

Bill Gray's - Webster NY.  It's my hometown, so this will probably always remain my favourite. 

Bill Gray’s? I used to love that place as a kid. Used to go to one in Fairport and one at Eastview Mall. Great burgers and great crinkle fries.  I wonder if they are still around. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.