Updated Beasley signing to practice squad

Niagara Dude

15 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

The last thing Allen needs to do is "get over himself".  This guy has repeatedly shouldered the blame for anything that goes wrong on the offense and has never to my knowledge thrown a teammate or coach under the bus.

And for the record Allen does a great job looking at the field. Particularly considering that as WideNine points out he is often running for his life to escape initial pressure.

That's perhaps abraisive and a poor choice of words.  I was in response to this from you:

18 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

There are always receivers open.  A QB can not be expected to always see them.  And if a receiver sometimes runs the wrong route or doesn't finish it off correctly or drops the ball a QB may be less likely to look there way to see when they're open.

I'll try to make a more longhand response to this. 

You say a QB can not be expected to always see his open receivers.  I say: a great QB has to be able to diagnose the defense, follow his progressions and find those open receivers more often than not, and give them trust, or the offense simply can't function.  We see this with Russ Wilson in Denver: he was able to create outside of structure for years in Seattle, but in Denver, being asked to play within structure and follow his progressions, he's repeatedly ignoring what the defense indicates will be open to look for Courtland Sutton and force-feed him the ball, and it's a Disaster.  [This is not just me.  A bunch of experts have broken down film (Kurt Warner for one) and illustrated what's happening.]

You imply, (and please excuse and explain if I have your meaning wrong), that some of the open receivers Allen is overlooking - that would be Knox, and McKenzie, sometimes Singletary or Cook - "deserve" to be overlooked because they run wrong routes and drop passes that are "catchable".  My point  is: there are guys Allen regularly targets (Davis, for example) who have very low catch % and a large % of scored "drops" (meaning "balls a receiver should catch with ordinary effort") and make route running mistakes or run "poor" (rounded) routes.

I'm NOT saying that Davis shouldn't be targeted (though I think Allen was forcing the ball to him and to Diggs for a while, and the passing game is floundering a bit as he backs off). 

I'm saying that if Allen is in some kind of headspace where he'll look for and throw to some receivers who make route running mistakes and drop the ball, but won't look for and throw to other receivers he perceives as making route running mistakes and dropping the ball (even though overall, they have good catch stats), THIS MAY BE SOMETHING HE NEEDS TO ADDRESS MENTALLY and/or in extra film/conversations with those receivers about what he's not seeing and needs to see, because an offense can't function if the QB isn't willing to operate within its structure and throw the ball to the open guys the defense gives him.  It can't.  It flounders.

It's very admirable that Allen takes full responsibility for the offense and doesn't throw his teammates under the bus after losses, but I'd prefer that he make good in-game decisions to avoid losses - so that's really not germaine to my response to you.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, R2ITRich said:

Does anybody care that Beasley dissed on the Bills and their fans?

As a Bills fan, cheering for players that I actually like means something.  This signing sucks!!!

And if they sign 'Diva' OBJ, I would be even more pissed!!!

It's like selling your soul to the devil.  Not worth it to me!

Cmon man.  He's not perfect. 

He was listening to Twitter trolls that are pure scum.  He incorrectly thought the fan base completely turned on him.  He incorrectly thought we booed him at a game.

I'd be angry too.

I disagree with just about everything he says.  I'm glad he's back and will cheer him on.  I hope he kills it and this is a huge success story.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

That's perhaps abraisive and a poor choice of words.  I was in response to this from you:

You say a QB can not be expected to always see his open receivers.  I say: a great QB has to be able to diagnose the defense, follow his progressions and find those open receivers more often than not, and give them trust, or the offense simply can't function.  We see this with Russ Wilson in Denver: he was able to create outside of structure for years in Seattle, but in Denver, being asked to play within structure and follow his progressions, he's repeatedly ignoring what the defense indicates will be open to look for Courtland Sutton and force-feed him the ball, and it's a Disaster.  [This is not just me.  A bunch of experts have broken down film (Kurt Warner for one) and illustrated what's happening.]

You imply, (and please excuse and explain if I have your meaning wrong), that some of the open receivers Allen is overlooking - that would be Knox, and McKenzie, sometimes Singletary or Cook - "deserve" to be overlooked because they run wrong routes and drop passes that are "catchable".  My point  is: there are guys Allen regularly targets (Davis, for example) who have very low catch % and a large % of scored "drops" (meaning "balls a receiver should catch with ordinary effort") and make route running mistakes or run "poor" (rounded) routes.

I'm NOT saying that Davis shouldn't be targeted (though I think Allen was forcing the ball to him and to Diggs for a while, and the passing game is floundering a bit as he backs off). 

I'm saying that if Allen is in some kind of headspace where he'll look for and throw to some receivers who make route running mistakes and drop the ball, but won't look for and throw to other receivers he perceives as making route running mistakes and dropping the ball (even though overall, they have good catch stats), THIS MAY BE SOMETHING HE NEEDS TO ADDRESS MENTALLY and/or in extra film/conversations with those receivers about what he's not seeing and needs to see, because an offense can't function if the QB isn't willing to operate within its structure and throw the ball to the open guys the defense gives him.  It can't.  It flounders.

It's very admirable that Allen takes full responsibility for the offense and doesn't throw his teammates under the bus after losses, but I'd prefer that he make good in-game decisions to avoid losses - so that's really not germaine to my response to you.

It's truly odd to me that you have gone this far out of your way to question Allen in defense of McKenzie. 

2 hours ago, R2ITRich said:

As a Bills fan, cheering for players that I actually like means something.  This signing sucks!!!

Are you so perfect you never have negative verbal interactions that in hindsight, you can look at and acknowledge you had a part in how negative they were and why they became that way?  Beasley acknowledged this, apparently privately in conversations to Beane and to McDermott, and publicly in his presser.  He said he loves it here and he didn't want it to end like that. 

I'm personally in favor of second chances when that is the case, so count me as "All In" on Beasley being here.

I can admire a guy's play on the field without having to agree with his every notion.  Do you think all those guys who present a great persona where they're kind to children and doggies are marvelous human beings?  They may be, they may not be - I don't know them personally, so I don't assume.  To me, "selling our soul to the Devil" would be if my team went out and signed someone like Henry Ruggs, who literally caused a woman and her dog to be burnt alive in front of people who tried to rescue them, by his actions

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

It's truly odd to me that you have gone this far out of your way to question Allen in defense of McKenzie. 

I'm sorry, but you're missing my point completely, and it's not just about McKenzie.

I could express it's truly odd to me that someone like yourself, who genuinely does know ball, can't see that Allen has a part in the offense struggling, and goes so far out of your way to scapegoat receivers to avoid acknowledging this.  I believe Allen himself has indirectly acknowledged this, for example when he said to Fitzpatrick in the interview aired pre-game TNF that the QB has to function an extension of the OC on the field, to the effect of, it's taken some doing but he thinks they're getting to a good place now.  [That was before a game where Cook had 6 targets and McKenzie had 5 - all catches - and Davis was 2 of 7]

The selective scapegoating here is WAY out of control (IMO)

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Sorry but I disagree with your entire premise.  Allen is putting up great numbers and his team is winning in spite of having only one elite skills player on the roster.  Even more impressively Allen is doing this with at best an average offensive line.  There are limitations to what any QB can do, including those you call "a great QB".

For the record, Allen is a great QB.  Of this I have no doubt, do you?

And finally are you really comparing 2022 Allen to 2022 Russel Wilson?  I find that this seriously discredits your argument.

IMO while the Bills have had some inconsistencies in their offensive performance over the last 6 games the QB play is least responsible.

• Like (+1) 2

I would like to offer a sincere apology to what I said earlier this week. I should have never said that I want Beasley to fail, and I regret saying it.

Beasley made a statement this week saying that he didn't handle his time well with the Bills outside of the team, and yes we all are not perfect human beings. I get it and totally respect that. Maybe this is an opportunity to come back from what really has been a crappy last couple of years and make things better.

Thank you.

GO BILLS

• Like (+1) 5
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I would like to offer a sincere apology to what I said earlier this week. I should have never said that I want Beasley to fail, and I regret saying it.

Beasley made a statement this week saying that he didn't handle his time well with the Bills outside of the team, and yes we all are not perfect human beings. I get it and totally respect that. Maybe this is an opportunity to come back from what really has been a crappy last couple of years and make things better.

Thank you.

GO BILLS

This doesn’t cut it around here. Your penance is to make a Peter Pan wall paper and keep it on your phone, laptop, tablet, Kindle, iPad or whatever else you have available.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

This doesn’t cut it around here. Your penance is to make a Peter Pan wall paper and keep it on your phone, laptop, tablet, Kindle, iPad or whatever else you have available.  

Damn, I had forgotten all about that Peter Pan tomfoolery LMAO Thanks for the laugh!

4 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Thank you.

GO BILLS

did you just watch it’s a Wonderful Life?! Great post. GO BILLS!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, R2ITRich said:

I'm really the same sort of fan-- I like to root for players that I also respect (which, at the moment, makes being a Bills fan spectacular!). But, for what it's worth, I think he felt a certain amount of betrayal from a lot of football fans himself. And while I didn't agree with a lot of what he said, or how he handled all of the controversy, I don't hold anything against him. He's a great player, and a great teammate. He fits into the Bills culture, and that's good enough for me. I don't mind that he's eccentric.

EDIT: Also, I'm kinda hoping that OBJ gets signed by the Patriots*. If they did, they'd over-pay for him, he won't be the same player he was, and the spectacle of him, and Mac & Cheese screaming at each other on the sideline would be epic.

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

did you just watch it’s a Wonderful Life?! Great post. GO BILLS!!!!!

No I didn't... actually I saw what he said and it resonated with me. I've had a brutal past couple of years and he was right. If anything I feel like Uncle Billy these days... age has taken its toll.

12 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Nyheim Hines is a running back.  He is not a wide receiver.

He's been being used in 2-back sets (Pony formation) on a variable number of snaps - 23 vs NE, 10 vs the Jets.

I'm kinda puzzled as to why someone would think an RB would make a "perfect" slot receiver.

His name is not McKenzie.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Sorry but I disagree with your entire premise.  Allen is putting up great numbers and his team is winning in spite of having only one elite skills player on the roster.  Even more impressively Allen is doing this with at best an average offensive line.  There are limitations to what any QB can do, including those you call "a great QB".

For the record, Allen is a great QB.  Of this I have no doubt, do you?

And finally are you really comparing 2022 Allen to 2022 Russel Wilson?  I find that this seriously discredits your argument.

IMO while the Bills have had some inconsistencies in their offensive performance over the last 6 games the QB play is least responsible.

Allen's recent numbers are NOT great, FTR. They are "cleaner" lately, which has been good enough against some meh offenses (and good defenses). 

After an 8-game span of historically ELITE performance (2021 playoffs through week 6 of 2022), we CANNOT ignore Allen's sudden and stark regression beginning with the 2nd half against GB and lasting into the 4th quarter of the Thanksgiving game. There are SO many contributing factors to this regression to the mean, including injuries to Allen and his supporting cast, but NONE of that excuses Allen's sudden refusal to take what defenses give him and distribute the ball patiently and precisely. 

He kinda got the yips, TBH. Of course we still saw flashes of the absolute maestro he's become, but over the course of those 3-4 games we saw a surprising amount of bad reps from #17. It happens over the course of a career. He's by no means alone in the blame for these uncharacteristic stumbles. 

As for his supporting cast, they'd look a HECK of a lot better if the offense designed more plays for Knox. Use HIM as the #2 option, maybe? Let Davis be a third or even fourth option on some plays and see if that operates better. People weren't so down on Buffalo's skill positions last season, seemingly. And I KNOW Sanders wasn't some plus target down the stretch. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, R2ITRich said:

Wow dude take it easy !!!

If the locker room felt the way you do Beasley wouldn’t be here , obviously that is not the case actually his teammates love him !!! 

Edited by Putin
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Allen's recent numbers are NOT great, FTR. They are "cleaner" lately, which has been good enough against some meh offenses (and good defenses). 

After an 8-game span of historically ELITE performance (2021 playoffs through week 6 of 2022), we CANNOT ignore Allen's sudden and stark regression beginning with the 2nd half against GB and lasting into the 4th quarter of the Thanksgiving game. There are SO many contributing factors to this regression to the mean, including injuries to Allen and his supporting cast, but NONE of that excuses Allen's sudden refusal to take what defenses give him and distribute the ball patiently and precisely. 

He kinda got the yips, TBH. Of course we still saw flashes of the absolute maestro he's become, but over the course of those 3-4 games we saw a surprising amount of bad reps from #17. It happens over the course of a career. He's by no means alone in the blame for these uncharacteristic stumbles. 

As for his supporting cast, they'd look a HECK of a lot better if the offense designed more plays for Knox. Use HIM as the #2 option, maybe? Let Davis be a third or even fourth option on some plays and see if that operates better. People weren't so down on Buffalo's skill positions last season, seemingly. And I KNOW Sanders wasn't some plus target down the stretch. 

I think you are having a selective memory of last year, the talk down the stretch was “Beasley is washed”, either “get McKenzie more involved” or “you can’t trust McKenzie!”, “RB with 1st pick!” Etc.  People got their hopes up that Davis was going to be the savior this year and he’s been exactly what he has always been, inconsistent.  He’s a nice #3 or 4, no where near the second #1 the delusionals had in mind. 

It’s actually an easy argument to show the Bills elected to decrease talent vs last year if you look at who they let walk vs what they didn’t replace them with.   Hopefully, Beasley can be effective for 8 weeks, that could be the difference of real SB aspirations and another January where the players don’t need to debate if they should have a dome in Buffalo from their couch. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.