Week 15: Dolphins at Bills on Saturday Night Football

YoloinOhio

33 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Guess it would be Van Roten for Bates?

We have 3 solid/good OL in Dawkins, Morse and Bates.  

Now down to 2 for this game.  

Is it too much to ask for Brown to finally give us one consistent game and Saffold to not get rocked in pass pro?

Got to run the ball a lot, the Oline has been better in recent weeks at run blocking for the RB’s have to take advantage of that. Maybe kick the tires on Ike at LG rather than Von Rotten.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I agree that his strengths FAR outweigh his weaknesses. No doubt he's one of the best players on the team.

But if the missed tackles talking point is negligible, then saying "we need Milano to for his tackling" is also negligible. They're two statements that really don't matter. If someone says Milano is a great tackler, then we can remind them that he's really not.

One thing this year for sure is they've needed at least one of the star LBs healthy and at least one of the star safeties healthy in order to play adequate defense. 

I would like to know where that "missed tackles" stat comes from and how it is calculated

I have a suspicion that yes, Milano misses more tackles than anyone else on the team because he's making it into position to try to tackle guys who were NOT his assignment, more than anyone else on the team.

It sounds as though potentially, it could be somewhat analogous to PFF's stats on OL where they actually don't know the blocking assignments and charge guys with a whiff when it actually was the other guy's job and they just tried to bail us out.

Edited by Beck Water

41 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Guess it would be Van Roten for Bates?

We have 3 solid/good OL in Dawkins, Morse and Bates.  

Now down to 2 for this game.  

Is it too much to ask for Brown to finally give us one consistent game and Saffold to not get rocked in pass pro?

Could be Boettger. Saturday is the last day of his 21 day practice window. 

5 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Got to run the ball a lot, the Oline has been better in recent weeks at run blocking for the RB’s have to take advantage of that. Maybe kick the tires on Ike at LG rather than Von Rotten.

It's a really good question - are they gonna activate Boettger?  As I understand it, his 3 week practice window was opened on Sunday 27 Nov, so the Bills have to "fish or cut bait" (activate him or put him on season ending IR) this weekend - I'm a bit hazy on whether the deadline is Saturday or Sunday and what time.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, BRH said:

A week ago a Fins fan friend of mine (somehow I still have a few) told me "honestly, I have a gut feeling it's gonna be one of those Indian summer nights."

Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 10.26.18 AM.png

Inaccurate forecast that does not factor in the LES snow at all.

No totals yet as it is a little early for that, but I can pretty much assure you it will be more than 1-3 inches.

NWS Buffalo is the gold standard for any type of forecast dealing with LES. Typically when it says the "snow could be heavy at times" it means 2+" per hour.

Saturday Night

Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 26. Chance of precipitation is 100%.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It's a really good question - are they gonna activate Boettger?  As I understand it, his 3 week practice window was opened on Sunday 27 Nov, so the Bills have to "fish or cut bait" (activate him or put him on season ending IR) this weekend - I'm a bit hazy on whether the deadline is Saturday or Sunday and what time.

If he goes to season ending IR that will be unfortunate.

The big question for me is if he is activated to the 53 and not ready to play yet, who do they cut to fit him in.

I have to think cutting one of the Hart/Van Rotten is risky no matter how we view their play.  There are a lot of injuries to OL around

the league and I could see these "vets" having a good chance to get picked up on waivers.  Ike right now is an unknown performance wise.

The only other positions would be a DB or LB (Spector).

Once Ike is back and performing well enough to merit it, I could see an OL getting cut to make room for one more WR.  

• Agree 1

I got a chance to watch the game last night on NFL network.  What I saw from the stands, I got to see with the benefit of the iso's on TV.  Tre played extremely soft coverage, especially on Wilson.  He never seemed to be in great position to break up a pass.  I.E. he appeared to play not to get beat deep.  I would expect him to tighten that up this week, but you can see he is not fully back to CB1 status yet.

So my question is knowing there are two speedsters coming to town and knowing the Dolphins watch the same tape I just did, would you sit Tre for this game and play Rhodes/Elam and Jackson?  I would imagine a guy just getting his legs back wouldn't be too thrilled to play in the slip, sliding snow.

43 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I would like to know where that "missed tackles" stat comes from and how it is calculated

I have a suspicion that yes, Milano misses more tackles than anyone else on the team because he's making it into position to try to tackle guys who were NOT his assignment, more than anyone else on the team.

It sounds as though potentially, it could be somewhat analogous to PFF's stats on OL where they actually don't know the blocking assignments and charge guys with a whiff when it actually was the other guy's job and they just tried to bail us out.

I think there are a few people that track it.  For sure its a bit subjective.  However, there seems to be good agreement that Milano has an above average missed tackled rate (not good).  Hes not the worst.  Hamlin is the one I think needs to be better (~20% iirc) for sure.  Dane could serve to be better as well, but they have managed Tre having a high missed tackle rate (though he is great in coverage where Dane is not).  Poyer is also missing at a higher clip than normal this year, but I forgive him since hes playing through an elbow injury.

We need to take Hill out of the game by pressing at the line. I think/bet it's Dane that get's this task. I can't see Tre covering Hill in snowy/wet conditions as he is not 100% yet. I think Tre is overhyped in general but that's a different story.

Stick Dane on Hill and Tre on the Waddle. It will be tough but they can cover these dudes. We most likely take some PI flags but play aggressive and hold them under 20. This IS their season... they will be ready. Weather plays little role as it's the same for both teams.

GO BILLS! Biggest game of the year!

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

missed tackles might be the easiest stat (other than drops) to calculate...the man touched the ball carrier and didnt bring him down. Easy. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.