THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Taking Care of Business

Shaw66

The Bills beat the Jets on Sunday afternoon at Highmark Stadium, 20-12. 

The game was played in a classic wind-blown wintry mix.  It was cold – mid-30s.  The game had plenty of playoff implications: the Bills need to win, week in and week out, to get homefield in the playoffs, ideally all the way through the AFC championship.  The Jets are battling for a playoff spot, and a win over the Bills could even have kept them within range of actually winning the division.

The game was a textbook example of how the NFL is about winning the game, not winning the stats. 

At this point in the season, the Bills want to be a team that wins games.  This team is built to win.  They believe it doesn’t matter how they look doing it.

In the CBS post-game show, someone started talking about Allen’s poor passing stats, and about how the Bills didn’t do so well in another way.  Bill Cowher disagreed.  He said the Bills are a good, tough football team.  The admiration in his voice was clear.

The win over the Jets had the same tough, workmanlike feel to it as the Patriots game ten games ago.  This win was closer, because the Jets are better than the Patriots.  But the Bills won, because that’s what they’re built to do.  It wasn’t pretty, certainly not a blowout, and the Bills made mistakes.  But at the end of the game, when you add up plays made and mistakes made, the Bills did what they needed to do.  They made stops, they got takeaways, scored opportunistically.  

The Bills defense clearly led the way.  The pursuit was smothering the hitting was turned up several notches.  The hits that out took Mike White out of the game, twice, were fierce. The defense attacked with a purpose.  Every defensive lineman showed up, creating regular pressure and disruption.  Edmunds or Milano or both seemed to close on every play. 

Remember all the angst over the Bills’ horrible record in one-score games?  Once again, the Bills backed into a close win, giving up a larger lead to make it one-score.  Well, the point is, however they got there, the Bills are now winning close games.  Kansas City almost lost to the Broncos on Sunday.  A lot happened in that game that may trouble, even worry, Chiefs fans, but the Chiefs won that game.  It is that ability, the ability to do whatever is needed to close out games, that has the Bills and the Chiefs on the top of the standings. 

The Bills have lost three games this season to, it turns out, three of the toughest teams in the league.  Close, hard-fought games.  If you want to play what ifs, what if the Bills’ bench was in the shade in Miami, what if Allen to Diggs late in the Jets game wasn’t called back on a bogus holding call or what if Davis held on, and what if Allen doesn’t fumble on the goal line?  What if the Bills were 13-0?  They’d feel more secure about home field but really, if they’d won those games they wouldn’t be a better team.  They’d just have a better record.

Could the team be better?  Sure.  Give me someone more reliable in the slot than McKenzie.  Give me the best of Dion Dawkins, instead what he’s been serving up. Give me John Brown in his prime.  Yes, the team could be better, but it almost doesn’t matter.  All we can expect, all anyone can expect of any team, the Chiefs, the Eagles, the 49ers, is that your team is tough to beat at this time of year. 

The Bills are tough to beat. 

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

• Like (+1) 20
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 11

We’ve lost 3 games by a total of 8 points.  

Last week we won by running the ball and controlling the clock.  This week we had a dominant defense.  Well rounded teams find different ways to win in December and January.  

If we stay relatively healthy the rest of the way, we will have a legitimate chance to win every game we play even w/out Miller and Hyde.  This is a violent and unforgiving sport - you can’t ask for more than that.

• Like (+1) 7

Shaw, I always appreciate your reviews along with Virg.  I loved your Cowher comments I watched the same postgame show.  Cowher respects tough teams like his when he was coaching, and for all the nit picky comments (which is why I stay away from the gameday threads as some of the most ridiculous comments come out during the game) he saw a team with grit on both sides.  Mike White is one tough SOB and probably cracked ribs.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he had some internal injuries.  I don’t wish that at all, but you could see the pain he was playing through.  I’ve both broken and severely bruised ribs on two different occasions and it hurts to breath, cough,

laugh, anything.  A lot of QB’s would’ve have stayed in the locker room.

Tre played smart, and yes a bit soft at times. But he’s easing himself into form for the playoffs.  GROOT played out of his mind, but wasn’t alone.  Settle, Jones, and even Boogie had a decent game.

Milano is all world and is the most impactful defensive player on the Bills.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Always see the positives.

The Bills are 10-3 but no where near the team many predicted the start of the season.  

They are winning (so are Baltimore without Lamar) but a team so highly touted shouldn't be tooth and nail week in week out.  

Anyone not concerned at their play since the second half of the GB game is wearing rose coloured glasses.

Already can see the threads at the end of the season.

Bills win the SB (which we all want), and it will be "See I told you so"

Lose and can only imagine the takes. 

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1

At this juncture, you are what you are. 

Is this the best Bills team assembled this year? Obviously not, as the Injury God has hit us hard.But, other NFL teams get whacked to by the time December rolls around. Let’s see how easily Hill is prancing around in 5 days!

I was bitching about these 3rd. & longs, the D has a penchant for giving up! Terribly aggravating, but as my buddy at the bar said… “C’mon, it’s still 0-0.”

Dawkins was horrible yesterday and indeed, we need the good version.

And McKenzie? Most of us are done with him. You play in Buffalo buddy and we EXPECT you to catch the ***** ball, when the weather outside gets frightful! If not- see ya. Next WR up. Hines would really be my choice or Shakir or downtown Brown.

4 2 GO!

Just do it!

Edited by Billsatlastin2018
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Always see the positives.

The Bills are 10-3 but no where near the team many predicted the start of the season.  

They are winning (so are Baltimore without Lamar) but a team so highly touted shouldn't be tooth and nail week in week out.  

Anyone not concerned at their play since the second half of the GB game is wearing rose coloured glasses.

Already can see the threads at the end of the season.

Bills win the SB (which we all want), and it will be "See I told you so"

Lose and can only imagine the takes. 

Do you feel better now? 

42 minutes ago, nosejob said:

My biggest hope is they do to Tua what they did to White....and then some.

Yeah.  Yesterday, the Bills' front six played like they could smell fresh meat.  They got a good taste of it, and I'm guessing that it will continue.  I wouldn't be surprised if those guys feel a responsibility to Von to do what he was going to do for the Bills this year. 

I was surprised how much the Bills blitzed yesterday.    They will come Saturday night with blitz packages for Tua, and other tactics, and I expect they're going to make his life miserable.   Still, it isn't going to be easy.  

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah.  Yesterday, the Bills' front six played like they could smell fresh meat.  They got a good taste of it, and I'm guessing that it will continue.  I wouldn't be surprised if those guys feel a responsibility to Von to do what he was going to do for the Bills this year. 

I was surprised how much the Bills blitzed yesterday.    They will come Saturday night with blitz packages for Tua, and other tactics, and I expect they're going to make his life miserable.   Still, it isn't going to be easy.  

The Jets have had to shuffle the o-line a lot this season so this was a game where the d-line and our front 7 would and did shine. Mike White is pretty good under pressure (at least with the small sample size of the last 2 games) but if you bring a constant wave of blitzes, stunts against a patchy o-line your guys should be getting home and they did.

The Dolphin's line is better, so I'm not completely convinced the same strategy will work. Tua gets the ball out fast and processes the field pretty quickly. I'm thinking a rush 3/drop 8 strategy to cover the field and force them to run the ball, with some well timed blitzes and stunts and opportune moments. Their running game takes a serious hit with Wilson Jr being carted off yesterday with a hip injury so forcing them to lean on that and neutralizing their passing game feels like the right strategy. Tua only threw 28 passes yesterday and only completed 10, their running game was putrid as well once Wilson left.

McKenzie is not a typical slot receiver but is a motion WR who opposing players cannot keep up with, one of few players on Bills offense who is able to make space, who did a lot of different things becoming puzzles for opposing offenses making them spend resources in preparation work and deciding which players who are active. When a team doesn't we get results as in Pat(hetic)s game where he erupts on field correctly making defense gurus look unprepared. 

Unfortunately he cannot ca$h the check by his mouth (which I am sure disappointed him in free agency this year) and he needs to spend more time with jugs machine and preparation to get to the next level.  No one else on team can do his role.  When he is "on" he makes team much more dangerous; when he "off" the team needs to find some other way to exploit holes.

24 minutes ago, uninja said:

The Jets have had to shuffle the o-line a lot this season so this was a game where the d-line and our front 7 would and did shine. Mike White is pretty good under pressure (at least with the small sample size of the last 2 games) but if you bring a constant wave of blitzes, stunts against a patchy o-line your guys should be getting home and they did.

The Dolphin's line is better, so I'm not completely convinced the same strategy will work. Tua gets the ball out fast and processes the field pretty quickly. I'm thinking a rush 3/drop 8 strategy to cover the field and force them to run the ball, with some well timed blitzes and stunts and opportune moments. Their running game takes a serious hit with Wilson Jr being carted off yesterday with a hip injury so forcing them to lean on that and neutralizing their passing game feels like the right strategy. Tua only threw 28 passes yesterday and only completed 10, their running game was putrid as well once Wilson left.

Bills won't rush three.  More of less never do.  And Tua kills you if you let him stand back there.   He needs to be disrupted.  

What you describe is an offense that is incomplete and isn't balanced.  Last night, with Hill hobbled, Waddle wasn't all-world, not by any means.  

The objective will be to have Tua wondering, on every play, were the rush is coming from and what the back seven are doing.  The defense will be adjusted, as always, to throw wrinkles that upset the Dolphins' tendencies.  Tua's a game manager and good short- and mid-range passer.  I think the Bills will expose him as nothing more.  

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I sure hope so! The hit by Milano was great, even though it wasn't a sack. I hope this shows people just how much beating the crap out of opposing QBs can really make things go our way.

41 minutes ago, nosejob said:

I sure hope so! The hit by Milano was great, even though it wasn't a sack. I hope this shows people just how much beating the crap out of opposing QBs can really make things go our way.

As long as it’s fine right, and it was done right with the shoulder, and pulled up before he hit the ground.  Textbook.

That is a disciplined player.

Hey, where’s all the armchair QB’s who think he was not worth $11 mil./yr. With the never ending contract criticisms prior to him signing.  I’ve noticed they are all silent.

Edited by machine gun kelly

16 minutes ago, nosejob said:

It's a given that pressuring and hitting the quarterback is the best way to reduce the effectiveness of pretty much any passing attack.  It always was the way to stop Brady.   Belichick knew that, and his priority always was protecting Brady.   

Only the very best QBs manage to beat you when you're harassing them consistently.  But even the best are affected.  I was thrilled when Miller signed with Buffalo, for a lot of reasons, but mostly for the mental image of Miller chasing Mahomes off his spot and then pursuing him.  

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

As long as it’s fine right, and it was done right with the shoulder, and pulled up before he hit the ground.  Textbook.

That is a disciplined player.

Hey, where’s all the armchair QB’s who think he was not worth $11 mil./yr. With the never ending contract criticisms prior to him signing.  I’ve noticed they are all silent.

The hit by Oliver was also textbook.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.