Football “Tells” : Why we lose opportunities on offense and defense

BringBackFergy

11 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

3) Watch Josh Allen in the huddle. If he’s illustrating the play with a lot of hand movement, five times out of 10 it’s an RPO. The defense knows this. 

So half of the time he is either going to hand off the ball OR pass it?  It’s a wonder that we ever gain a yard with this obvious tell. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

#3 is funny. So 50% of the time it's a run/pass option 

So the other 50% of the time it's also a run or pass. 

What a tell!

Like Sex Panther.  60% of the time, it works every time!  

3 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

This is honestly the most impressive post I’ve ever seen. I wish I could give u multiple likes. You should be working for an nfl team. Edit: I’m not being sarcastic 

21 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

Maybe so, but the better-coached teams will have fewer tells.  The OP is spot-on.  These tells can change outcome of a game and MUST be addressed ... and RE-addressed throughout the season and not just during the bye week when teams self-evaluate.  Looking for these tells needs to be an ongoing process.  To the OP ... if your observations are accurate you should apply for a quality control position with the Bills - good stuff!

Hooked one!

"Tells" are real.  Every team has them.   But this is excellent tongue-in-cheek parody.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

Interesting analysis wonder why our coaches haven’t picked up on this.   Some video examples would help but will try to look for these clues today.   Great to see so many great responses to this thread

1 hour ago, BillsFanSD said:

In honor of this post, I'm going to try to keep an eye out for (1) and (2).  The broadcast should show these players most of the time at or around the snap.

Not sure why so many people are assuming this post is a joke.  If you watch this team every week religiously, you almost surely pick up on stuff almost subconsciously.  There was a period a few years ago where "Josh in shotgun" was a called passing play 100% of the time (granted, this is kind of common with rookies and raw 2nd year guys).  For pretty much this entire season so far "Cook on the field" means he is either getting the ball or he's running a pattern -- he never stays in to block.  And that's just play-calling tendencies.  It wouldn't surprise me if individual players had their own tells. 

Hooked 3!

We're assuming it's a joke because this poster, while a most excellent worthy chap, has a history of not taking this board as seriously as some and trying to "stir the pot" occasionally.  It's very good stuff when not taken too far.

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Hooked 3!

We're assuming it's a joke because this poster, while a most excellent worthy chap, has a history of not taking this board as seriously as some and trying to "stir the pot" occasionally.  It's very good stuff when not taken too far.

It's at its best when it's taken too far.  That's the point.

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Hooked 3!

While I appreciate your instincts to protect those who may be new to this site, please read the original post where I invited others to post their own “tells”.  My observations are just that - an individual take on a topic of interest based on probabilities. Other posters may contribute with their own discoveries as it relates to RB habits, lineman, etc. 

37 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

While I appreciate your instincts to protect those who may be new to this site, please read the original post where I invited others to post their own “tells”.  My observations are just that - an individual take on a topic of interest based on probabilities. Other posters may contribute with their own discoveries as it relates to RB habits, lineman, etc. 

You are epic.  I salute the King

dunno why some here are jumping on the OP about this.    its a real thing.   defenses look for this stuff hard during film study.  everybody does it.   it even happens during the games.   tendencies are real and astute people will always look for them and try to exploit them.

23 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

When you watch the game each week, you pick up on little mannerisms and “tells”. Like watching other players at a poker table, you can pick up ticks or gestures that indicate what they are doing or about to do. I’ve been compiling various “tells” for the Bills the last six weeks and you’ll see what I’m talking about if you pause the game or watch closely:

1) When Gabe Davis lines up wide, if he adjusts his helmet before snap, it’s a run play. The CB might as well run toward midfield. 

2) If Dion Dawkins pops his head to the left BEFORE the snap, it’s a passing play. He’s checking for DE’s position. 

3) Watch Josh Allen in the huddle. If he’s illustrating the play with a lot of hand movement, five times out of 10 it’s an RPO. The defense knows this. 

4) On defense, take a look at Edmunds. If he positions his right hand on his knee/thigh area, he’ll drop in coverage. Pretty easy for the opposing QB to hand off through the G gap. 

5) Singletary…if he cheats his left foot to 11 o’clock, he’s gonna be pass blocking or running. 

Our quality control coaches should do a better job so average Joe’s like me can’t figure this stuff out. Tell me if you pick out any more tomorrow or as the season progresses. 

Good catches on these tells, BBF.  As anyone could predict, you're gonna get flamed for this, which is what most of the people on this board spend their time doing.  People just can't acknowledge someone makes a good point.

Whether it's these tells or just the league catching up to our OC's tendencies, I don't see our receivers getting open like they did under Daboll, or early this year.  But anything the players do that helps the other side is something that needs to be corrected.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.