Khalil Shakir's Place in the Offense Going Forward

Warriorspikes51

1 hour ago, MJS said:

There are three receivers ahead of him on the depth chart.

He's got an average of over 30% of snaps in the last 2 games.  That seems typical for a WR #4.

I think he is coming around pretty good for a rookie and can see his role only going up from here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

He looked pretty good in the Steeler game.

Yep.  His best game and he dropped a very catchable pass or he would have gone over 100 yards on the day.  

But I agree, he's only seen 16 total targets on the season, so I'm not worried about his catch or drop percentage at this point.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

He's got an average of over 30% of snaps in the last 2 games.  That seems typical for a WR #4.

I think he is coming around pretty good for a rookie and can see his role only going up from here.

(EDIT: DISREGARD - I see them on PFR)  Hey CB, where do you get the snap percentage stats?  I see them posted here from time to time and would love to be able to geek out on those sometime.  

Edited by TheBrownBear

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Hey CB, where do you get the snap percentage stats?  I see them posted here from time to time and would love to be able to geek out on those sometime.

I use pro football reference for most of my stats.

The overall snaps for the Bills players is here.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2022-snap-counts.htm

If you click on the "player game by game" link you get this.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/ShakKh00/fantasy/2022

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Okay. Shakir made key plays to get us the win in BAL.  

He had a great performance against PIT, including high pointing a contested catch amongst 3 defenders.

He's looked slick with the ball in his hands.

So what is going on here......why is he not being utilized more?

Did he do something to get in the doghouse?  Are his practice habits not up to standard? 

Thoughts?

(P.S. last time I made a thread like this about McKenzie, he followed it up with 2 very good games😁, hoping that works here too) 

He is out there about 25% of the snaps. He is struggling to separate hence Josh isn't throwing him the ball.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is out there about 25% of the snaps. He is struggling to separate hence Josh isn't throwing him the ball.

When I've watched him specifically he has chances to create the space or get to a window in space to be targeted but cannot separate and that's not just due to lack of speed. It seems to be, in order:

1) vision

2) poor technique and route running

3) lack of speed to shift

His speed is there and he just needs coaching.

• Agree 2

37 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

He has a lower catch rate (50%) and a higher drop rate (12.5%) than Gabe Davis, who we all love to rip on for his bad hands. Idk why they would trust him.

I thinks it’s because of his hands and all the plays where he doesn’t catch the ball

One of the plays where Hines and cook were both in the backfield, Hines took it and got stopped for a loss, Shakir completely whiffed on a downhill block which blew up the play. It’s only one example, but if 1/11 isn’t doing their job, the play can completely break down. My thought is, hes just not ready. I actually don’t remember him drilling that many passes, but somebody posted he only had a 50% catch rate or something so maybe? I’ll have to look at it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, motorj said:

Honestly should've kept Isaiah Hodgkins

He’s been doing well in NY with the opportunities that have been given to him. I was a little surprised Daboll didn’t pick him up after the final cuts in Aug.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

I do love the coaching staff overall, but they seem very hesitant to play their draft picks. 

They play them, but it's at such a slow and untrusting pace that fans get impatient. I like what Shakir has accomplished in his limited opportunities. Hopefully both he and Hines have expanded roles moving forward. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

Seems Shakir’s role in the offense will be to provide debate amongst fans as to what his role in the offense will be. 

And he's doing a great job.

He has potential, and a good work ethic. But he was a 5th rounder for a reason. It's up to him to polish his game and become the gem that many people in the league see in him.

Can he be the replacement for Cole Beasley that we desperately need? McKenzie is a great splash play player but the Bills desperately need a shifty, physical slot guy that Josh can drop it off to when he has to. We need that Edelman, Welker, Amendola type of short yardage smart, physical, possession type of receiver that gets open and finds soft spots in zone, a guy that is not afraid to get hit. 

• Agree 1

Not a good blocker and probably a little over his head as a rookie but I still would like to see him get some snaps in 4-5 wide situations. He can still make plays. I do think how he will he a good player going forward but he just needs to go through a full NFL offseason and put on some size and learn from his rookie year. I think he will be a really big part of the offense in 2023.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.