Khalil Shakir's Place in the Offense Going Forward

Warriorspikes51

Okay. Shakir made key plays to get us the win in BAL.  

He had a great performance against PIT, including high pointing a contested catch amongst 3 defenders.

He's looked slick with the ball in his hands.

So what is going on here......why is he not being utilized more?

Did he do something to get in the doghouse?  Are his practice habits not up to standard? 

Thoughts?

(P.S. last time I made a thread like this about McKenzie, he followed it up with 2 very good games😁, hoping that works here too) 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Westside said:

The coaching staff doesn’t seem to trust him enough yet. 

Likely due to either his decision making, route running or not doing what he is supposed/being where he is supposed to within the plays.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

So what is going on here......why is he not being utilized more?

Did he do something to get in the doghouse?  Are his practice habits not up to standard? 

Thoughts?

By all accounts, Shakir is a bright, hardworking, high character guy, so I think you can throw out the two questions you've posited above.  I think it's just an issue of him being a rook and this staff being notoriously slow in bringing along rookies and giving them opportunities.  Many here thought Cook was "lacking passion" or in the "doghouse" for some reason, but that clearly seems to be false.  The staff just really has to trust a guy before trotting him out there in anything other than an emergency situation (which is why Shakir saw extended opportunities in the games you mention.)  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It’s most likely plays where he needs to block, say inside leverage vs outside where he’s probably not getting the job done. Hence if he’s not getting the ball, where on most plays he’ll be the 3rd or 4th option, he’s just not getting the job done. That would be my guess

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Westside said:

The coaching staff doesn’t seem to trust him enough yet. 

He has a lower catch rate (50%) and a higher drop rate (12.5%) than Gabe Davis, who we all love to rip on for his bad hands. Idk why they would trust him.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Likely due to either his decision making, route running or not doing what he is supposed/being where he is supposed to within the plays.

12 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

It’s most likely plays where he needs to block, say inside leverage vs outside where he’s probably not getting the job done. Hence if he’s not getting the ball, where on most plays he’ll be the 3rd or 4th option, he’s just not getting the job done. That would be my guess

I thinks it’s because of his hands and all the plays where he doesn’t catch the ball

3 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

He has a lower catch rate (50%) and a higher drop rate (12.5%) than Gabe Davis, who we all love to rip on for his bad hands. Idk why they would trust him.

I thinks it’s because of his hands and all the plays where he doesn’t catch the ball

Very small sample size. Likely irrelevant.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.