Baker Mayfield is really Joe Pendleton

buffaloboyinATL

It certainly was a good showing by Mayfield, makes ya think he could succeed, well at least a little anyway,

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

It certainly was a good showing by Mayfield, makes ya think he could succeed, well at least a little anyway,

Amazing game by Mayfield on 2 days, but Man! Did the Raiders play stupid on D and give them chance after chance.

Isn’t that sort of the story of Mayfield, though?  Can play brilliantly, then somehow can’t play within a system?

It’ll be interesting to see what McVay gets out of him for the next 4 weeks

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Amazing game by Mayfield on 2 days, but Man! Did the Raiders play stupid on D and give them chance after chance.

Isn’t that sort of the story of Mayfield, though?  Can play brilliantly, then somehow can’t play within a system?

I would argue the raiders offense was worse than their defense. 0 points in the second half and 1 turnover. Defense secondary was terrible but that’s what you can expect if the offense keeps going 3 and out 

• Like (+1) 2

Baker is his own worst enemy … he was the josh Allen story before josh … walk on … earned a STARTING JOB  as a walk on true freshmen 

wasn’t given a scholarship(which is asinine) gambled on himself and WALKED ON again at Oklahoma 

and became a heisman winner and campus legend  … his work ethic COULD NOT be questioned then…

he has a very strong arm , great ball placement and a quick release .,, and is tough af 

somewhere along the way he drank his own kool aid and his cockiness has stunted his growth as a player … maybe he finally wakes up 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

I think the book on Baker is he can't play outside a system. Go back to 2020 when Stefanski had the Browns offense humming and Baker was healthy. Not a dissimilar offense to McVay's either and he was an effective middle of the league starting QB. He can be in that Goff, Jimmy G, solid placeholder category. His issue is those guys are normally solid locker room guys, Baker hasn't always been that. 

• Agree 2

Was Baker's performance (aided by a series of favorable penalty calls on the last two drives) greater than Barkley's performance for Bills vs. Jets in 2018?  Barkley had been here for a week and a half and he put up a 40-burger against the Jets while Nate Peterman (he of the 3 picks the week before) looked on helplessly from the sideline.  Barkley hadn't started a game in 2 years prior to then.

• Like (+1) 1

Well, I don't know Mayfield on any personal level, so I have no idea what he is like in person or in the locker room. His commercials are funny, he comes across as likeable in them.

BUT, contrast his NFL experience with our Josh Allen. Allen has been in the perfect environment: Great top level leadership that was patient with him, a annoyingly level-headed Head Coach who seems to be a zen with player relationships (that is ideal for the young QB), started with a top-tier Offensive Coordinator who he had for four years (that is unheard of in today's NFL), and the strong internal culture of the entire Bills organization.

For Mayfield: He started strong (yr 2). But he was also is in what proved to be one of the most dysfunctional organizations in the NFL. Four (yes, 4!!) Head Coaches in four years: Hue Jackson and Greg William his first year (that is purgatory), Freddie Kitchens (proved to be totally incompetent in every realm of Head Coaching), and Stefanski (he is showing not to be the answer), and then to Carolina, which is organizationally not much better, and his new HC is fired in the middle of the season. ..... Talk about total dysfunction and mental/emotional wear. He has had the exact opposite of what a young NFL QB needs.

I'm sure some of his problems he has brought upon himself. And he does not have Allen and Mahomes level skill and he may be hard to get along with (but is that really an issue? : Exhibit A = Aaron Rodgers). But I can't imagine any young QB thriving in the circumstances he has been in.

I've never been a fan of his, but I do believe in the right situation he could be a very productive NFL QB.

When he was released the other day, my immediate thought is that Buffalo would be the perfect place for him to come and be a back-up QB (for him and the team). I have no doubt he could resurrect his career with year or two on the Bills.

Edited by CSBill
  • Agree 2

26 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

So many boomers 

OK, I know 'boomer' is used in fun.   I've been getting called a boomer by guys in their 20s & 30s for years now.   I'm 52 and only too happy to talk Bills football with anybody from any generation.  What makes me crazy is the term "Boomer" somewhere along the line started getting used in the wrong way!!   It comes from "Baby Booomers" who were all born in the mid 1940s/late '50s I think.  That's what we used to call our parents.  So at some point the term started getting used to just lump all Older people into one  category I guess.  So the guys who got the 'Heaven can wait' reference are largely Gen X, I guess?      So - QUESTION for guys in their 20s:  If an older guy 'gets it wrong' and calls you a millenial or a Gen z'er or whatever, does it annoy you? 

Edited by Irish Dave
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am not a Mayfield fan but it's pretty funny should he play well for the Rams 

The Patriots and Jets have no real Quarterback and both teams passed.  A simple waiver claim could have changed everything in the AFC East.

I am not saying Mayfield will be any good but he could be 

I bet a lot of fans in NFL cities will be crying this morning, WHY DIDN'T WE CLAIM MAYFIELD????

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.