Jets at Bills 1995

Buffalo03

Back from when I was 9 years old in 1995. This game was blacked out on TV but I remember listening to it on the radio. I'm glad they lifted the black out rule because that sucked. This game was in the middle of a 5 game win streak this season. This was the 4th in a row. I remember going to Lastertron for a friend's bday party the following week for the Seahawks game lol. If anyone remembers anything about this game or was there and would like to share. As always....Go Bills!!!

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Lost Reed to a torn hammy in this game. Kelly's last year too? Isn't this the year the Bills lost to Jacksonville at home in the first round of the playoffs?

...and the good old days of "we'll show the score when we're good and g-d damn ready to show the score!"

Edited by DD4Bills

16 minutes ago, sonyab1974 said:

I was 21!! :) Love these past videos that are being put up. Did I give you the idea to do that?  Cus I did put up a couple of them on here. :D Or was it just one? Well anyway these are fun. So thank you! 

I came up with the idea myself. Just thought it would be neat

• Like (+1) 1

Sophomore year of college, though I think I was home that weekend.  I always go to PFR to check the stats and recap the season when you post these.  I had forgotten  about Billy Brooks and how solid a season he had that year.  11 tds leading the team.

I remember getting a Bryce Paup jersey right before the season began.  I beieve he got defensive player of the year this season.

Edited by Bills fan since 87

31 minutes ago, DD4Bills said:

Lost Reed to a torn hammy in this game. Kelly's last year too? Isn't this the year the Bills lost to Jacksonville at home in the first round of the playoffs?

...and the good old days of "we'll show the score when we're good and g-d damn ready to show the score!"

You're thinking of 1996

• Agree 1

I was at this game, went to the Rich ticket office the day before to get ducats and the nice older lady pulled a pair out of a shoebox to sell me (so much for technology).  Also, then-GM John Butler was wandering around the ticket office for reasons unknown.

The game went pretty much true to form, with Bruce's big hit on Norman Esiason the highlight.

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

The blackout rule is so bizarre. Why was it ever a thing?

Simple: owners thought games on free local TV would kill attendance.  Thank the Redskins (Commanders, WFT) for getting the policy (it was never a rule) changed in 1973.  In 1972, the Skins had a great year, got all the way to the Super Bowl, but those without tickets in the DC area were shut out from watching home games.  Pressure from congress and even the Nixon White House, drove the NFL to put into effect a policy, where if a home game was sold out 72 hours before kickoff, the blackout would be lifted.  Who determined if a game was sold out?  The local team/owner of course.

Fast forward over 40 years and the policy was still in effect.  However, in 2015, in a under-publicized move, the NFL declared the 72 hour policy dead and that all home games could now be televised locally, regardless of ticket sales.  It was hailed as a good move for fans and teams alike because the more a team was on TV, the more people talked about them, bought t-shirts, mugs, bumper stickers, etc.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Simple: owners thought games on free local TV would kill attendance.  Thank the Redskins (Commanders, WFT) for getting the policy (it was never a rule) changed in 1973.  In 1972, the Skins had a great year, got all the way to the Super Bowl, but those without tickets in the DC area were shut out from watching home games.  Pressure from congress and even the Nixon White House, drove the NFL to put into effect a policy, where if a home game was sold out 72 hours before kickoff, the blackout would be lifted.  Who determined if a game was sold out?  The local team/owner of course.

Fast forward over 40 years and the policy was still in effect.  However, in 2015, in a under-publicized move, the NFL declared the 72 hour policy dead and that all home games could now be televised locally, regardless of ticket sales.  It was hailed as a good move for fans and teams alike because the more a team was on TV, the more people talked about them, bought t-shirts, mugs, bumper stickers, etc.  

It was completely short sighted. How do you not realize that it is good for your team if more people are watching on television? What is especially surprising is how long it took them to get rid of the dumb practice.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.