Just Gonna Say It: Von Miller was very good, but not great this year.

ChicagoRic

6 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Imo.  We need to change our style of play and go all out aggressive offense.   Josh can handle it.   Wrs need to step the f up.

Imagine an alternative universe where we signed davante adams rather than Von Miller

I'd disagree that he was Hughes level. He's a pass rush force to be reckoned with and if it's in the 4th quarter of the AFC championship and you need a sack he's the guy.

But I will say this and it's not gonna be a popular statement but it's not going to hurt us as an overall defense that much. People can grab their torches but von has hurt us in some serious key moments because he is all about sacks and tends to completely sell out on the pass rush and will abandon his rush lanes. Against the jets on massive 4th down, von went 10 yards up feild on a rush, Wilson went through vons vacated lane easy 1st jets win. Vikings, von got reached by a TE, loses containment, easy first down, vikings win. Now obviously von didn't singlehandedly lose these games, but these are just examples of how he didn't do his job and it cost the bills in huge situations. 

I think it's a loss more so in the locker room as a leader, and as I stated before that 1 play you really need that sack he's the one you want on the feild. But overall affect on the defense I don't think it's near the hit we took losing tre white last year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Von was playing at a high level but the real issue is the drop off from Von to Epenesa is astounding.  Hughes was capable but Epenesa is horrible. Hope he proves me wrong with this short stretch to start and play significant meaningful snaps.

I thought AJ played decently against New England hopefully that is a positive development. 

• Like (+1) 1

This is a horse manure take for one simple reason - Von's game-winning contribution against the Chiefs alone was worth 3 net wins from a conference head to head POV vs the Chiefs:

+ 1 for the Bills win

- 1 for the Chiefs loss

+ 1 for the tie-breaker

And that's before we factor in his contributions in wins against the Rams, Titans and Ravens.

IF we win out (which will be difficult), then the season-ending injury notwithstanding, Von would have made a substantial contribution to the Bills getting the number 1 seed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Miller ranks third in the NFL in quarterback pressures  behind Dallas Cowboys linebacker Micah Parsons  and Patriots linebacker Matthew Judon 

Miller leads the Bills in sacks (eight), pass rush win rate (23.7%) and pressure percentage (14.6%).

third best in the league is ELITE. he will be missed

the only saving grace is that we have some potential quality depth behind him.

8 hours ago, Chaos said:

Imagine an alternative universe where we signed davante adams rather than Von Miller

Yeah, I really think there's some disappointment in a few areas on offense (not that we're bad overall).

They expected big things from Gabe and it hasn't worked out.  Had we gotten Davonte in an imaginary scenario we probably wouldn't have punted this year. 

6 hours ago, papazoid said:

Miller ranks third in the NFL in quarterback pressures  behind Dallas Cowboys linebacker Micah Parsons  and Patriots linebacker Matthew Judon 

Miller leads the Bills in sacks (eight), pass rush win rate (23.7%) and pressure percentage (14.6%).

third best in the league is ELITE. he will be missed

the only saving grace is that we have some potential quality depth behind him.

Well said!  

On 12/7/2022 at 10:31 PM, ChicagoRic said:

Yes, the cap hit will suck, but it's not like the Bills lost Nick Bosa or Matthew Judon.

He was playing at a Jerry Hughes level.  A great player, but on the downward slope of his career. 

This is survivable and I don't think it hurts the Bills Superbowl chances much if at all.

Now excuse me while I pull my on flame resistant suit. 

That's because Bosa and Judon have way more strategic minds moving them around as a chess piece. 

Von sits on the edge and told to just rush straight ahead/protect the edge every play. 

On 12/7/2022 at 10:31 PM, ChicagoRic said:

Yes, the cap hit will suck, but it's not like the Bills lost Nick Bosa or Matthew Judon.

He was playing at a Jerry Hughes level.  A great player, but on the downward slope of his career. 

This is survivable and I don't think it hurts the Bills Superbowl chances much if at all.

Now excuse me while I pull my on flame resistant suit. 

I totally agree with you.  His impact on games is greatly overestimated by fans.

Of the really big names to lose for the year, he would be my first choice.

If Josh or Diggs go down, we're done.  Von?  We'll be fine.

There's no downplaying the loss, but the good news is Rousseau is playing tremendous this year. That softens the blow.

You could argue that the defensive personnel this year is still better than what we fielded in the divisional round last year, even accounting for Hyde's and Miller's injuries. Rousseau and Edmunds have both taken a big step forward in their development. We added DaQuan Jones, a healthy Tre White, and better DE depth in Shaq Lawson. Ed Oliver has recently been playing the best ball of his career.

Again you can't downplay the loss of Von Miller but it's not an excuse if the season falls apart. The rest of the team is still plenty good enough to win it all.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Agree 1

What more could Von have done to be considered great? He was averaging nearly 1 sack a game, league leaders in tackle for loss, unmeasurable impact on the locker room, big part in the reason why Boogie, Groot and AJ had 9.5 sacks between the them prior to his injury.

Will be interesting to see how many sacks Groot and the DEs can tally without him. So far it’s 1. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.