Just Gonna Say It: Von Miller was very good, but not great this year.

ChicagoRic

Yes, the cap hit will suck, but it's not like the Bills lost Nick Bosa or Matthew Judon.

He was playing at a Jerry Hughes level.  A great player, but on the downward slope of his career. 

This is survivable and I don't think it hurts the Bills Superbowl chances much if at all.

Now excuse me while I pull my on flame resistant suit. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Vomit 8
  • Eyeroll 8
  • Sad 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 41
  • Agree 13
  • Haha (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 6

9 minutes ago, ChicagoRic said:

Yes, the cap hit will suck, but it's not like the Bills lost Nick Bosa or Matthew Judon.

He was playing at a Jerry Hughes level.  A great player, but on the downward slope of his career. 

This is survivable and I don't think it hurts the Bills Superbowl chances much if at all.

Von was never meant for the regular season. He can and will turn it on as he see's fit. He's smart like that because he still has enough in the tank to dominate any play, but he can't do it for a whole game. One thing I can say for sure is if it's 4th down and we are in the Super Bowl and we need one stop to win it, he's the most important player on the team in that moment. 

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 18
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Rico said:

He made great plays against the Chiefs, and that's good enough for me. Damn shame he got hurt against the Lions, I know we needed him with all the injuries but that's a game I would've preferred to see him sit.

Right? Mahomes didn't see Von coming in that game because he was on him before he could react. Unlike last year where he seemed to frolic in circles for 2 minutes eventually alluding our pass rush. Groot was having a dominant season before injury. I hope that was on the back of learning from Von and further maturity. Oliver is having a dominant season. Several others are much improved. I hope it's enough.  

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, KzooMike said:

Right? Mahomes didn't see Von coming in that game because he was on him before he could react. Unlike last year where he seemed to frolic in circles for 2 minutes eventually alluding our pass rush. Groot was having a dominant season before injury. I hope that was on the back of learning from Von and further maturity. Oliver is having a dominant season. Several others are much improved. I hope it's enough.  

It will be up to scheme and coaching if it comes down to the Bills vs KC. The Bengals seem to do well just rushing 3 at times. They don’t have an all world edge rusher. Von had some great plays vs Chiefs but there are other ways to approach defending them. 

• Like (+1) 2

Of all the posts…this is the topic you chose? You did see when those Von moments came right? Shutting offenses down (a tackle for a loss or sack) when the Bills needed it most. That’s why he was brought in, not to be sack leader in the league. Not to be the rebirth of Reggie White, just to close the games out. 
Your correct though, it’s survivable. He taught the others, and hopefully still does so. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ChicagoRic said:

He was certainly pacing himself for much of the year.

But he wasn't getting paid for the regular season grind; he was here to turn it up and make impact plays in the playoffs, which he absolutely would have done. That's where we'll miss him.

Next year I don't care if he doesn't come back 'til Christmas, I just want him fresh and healthy and on the field for elimination games.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 8
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

? Von Miller is getting old. He's approaching mid 30s. He did great. We really needed him at crucial moments and he delivered.

It's just a devastating time right now because we really needed him for the playoffs. Losing him is a massive blow to the gut. OP is trying to soften the blow and give us some inspiration that we'll be fine without him (which is true).

It's just difficult to see that.

Edited by Buffalo Ballin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

32 minutes ago, wppete said:

Huge lose but Rousseau has to step

up. Let’s see if he is for real or just another average player. 

The one thing that has to be said is Miller's presence made everyone else on the defense better. Especially, the interior guys like Oliver, Boogie, AJ, Shaq, and Rousseau. The opposition had to always account for Miller's presence; often with double teams. With him gone, it will be more difficult for others to be successful. Make no mistake about it the Miller loss is huge. With the game on the line no one is better than Von Miller! You can't replace a hall of framer like him. A proven winner who closes the deal. Folks, let's not minimize the significance of this loss. 

Definitely knocks the Bills down a few pegs...Doesnt mean the Bills can't win it all. However, I can't help but think of the Tre injury last year. It was huge and proved to be the case vs KC. How many of us think the Bills win that game if a healthy Tre was in the Bills line up? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, ChicagoRic said:

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Reggie White was dominating in his late 30's. This is a tough blow but like Tre, Von Miller will heal and be ready to contribute by late Oct or Nov. He's got 5 more years on his contract. He'll be back and have an impact. 

His contract was essentially a 3 year deal and that’s probably all the Bills can get out of him. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, ChicagoRic said:

family-feud-survey-says.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Simon said:

He was certainly pacing himself for much of the year.

But he wasn't getting paid for the regular season grind; he was here to turn it up and make impact plays in the playoffs, which he absolutely would have done. That's where we'll miss him.

Next year I don't care if he doesn't come back 'til Christmas, I just want him fresh and healthy and on the field for elimination games.

Oh my god after all of the Tre White bashing this year, can you imagine how much hate Von will get on here if he doesn’t play until next Christmas???

Although it is weird how much all of the haters have quieted down about Tre since he started playing…weird 

2 hours ago, ChicagoRic said:

A Jerry Hughes level? He has had more sacks thus year than Jerry Hughes had his last 3 years combined with us

• Like (+1) 2

I thought Von provided a pass rushing spark that this team hasn't seen for at least a decade. Compare him to his early career if you must, and very few are going to actually be better later in their career, but he could clearly still dominate. Had 8 sacks in 11 games and can only be a positive for the young guys, I'll call that great.

Speaking of Hughes though...wasn't he kicking water coolers and fans were having fun speculating his return only a couple of weeks ago? Surprised I haven't seen more chatter, would love to add him back to the rotation, even though it is now clearly Groot emergence time.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.