No criminal charges against Araiza

Big Blitz

38 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

Why? Martin has been just fine. I dont think Araiza comes back to Buffalo.

We might have talked to him pre cut that he could return if no trial happened. I could see us (or any team) putting him on the practice squad to finish the season and then a futures deal after the season.

SMH well of the 2 Bills related news stories  announced today (Von Miller and Araiza) this one is the least surprising at least for me

If charges were realistically coming I think they would have occurred weeks ago.

What can be "proven" beyond a reasonable doubt is a high standard of proof. This case was very muddy right from the start especially after all the videos we saw of the victim.  I think the victims lawyer did her no favors

The whole thing stinks. No winners.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, muppy said:

SMH well of the 2 Bills related news stories  announced today (Von Miller and Araiza) this one is the least surprising at least for me

If charges were realistically coming I think they would have occurred weeks ago.

What can be "proven" beyond a reasonable doubt is a high standard of proof. This case was very muddy right from the start especially after all the videos we saw of the victim.  I think the victims lawyer did her no favors

The whole thing stinks. No winners.

Agreed.

I don't want to get caught up in any arguments here about the American legal system and how it deals with (or doesn't deal with) sexual assault accusations, especially those involving intoxicants. Let's just say I'm not at all surprised by this outcome, I remain disgusted, and I'm glad he's not a Buffalo Bill.

• DasNootz changed the title to Punt God - no charges
24 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Normally i would agree but the DAs wording that the evidence doesnt support the charges tells me they are calling her a liar. He said they dont support... he didnt say there wasnt sufficient evidence.

If he had said the latter I would agree with you. But based off the wording it tells me they reviewed the evidence and it doesnt corroborate her story 

I mean its true... the DA said evidence does not support the charges. The DA did not say that there was not sufficient evidence.

The first statement says the evidence doesnt match the story and the charges brought upon him.

No they did not, and yes they did.

“Ultimately, prosecutors determined it is clear the evidence does not support the filing of criminal charges and there is no path to a potential criminal conviction,” the office said in a statement. “Prosecutors can only file charges when they ethically believe they can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.”

They said point blank that they haven't filed charges because they don't believe they can get a conviction. You have to read more than the first participle of the first sentence to understand the message being relayed. The reason that the evidence does not support the filing of charges is not because the evidence is not valid, but because it won't lead to a conviction. They are extremely clear about this and to attribute their statement to a line of logic of "they don't think a crime occurred" is completely incorrect. They may or they may not, but their statement indicates nothing except their opinion of how likely they are to win a conviction.

18 minutes ago, QCity said:

Girl was full of ***** from day 1.

And this comment right here is why the world is in the awful state it is.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Doesn’t matter regardless he admitted to sleeping with her and she was underage. That alone legally would have to make him register as a sex offender. It’s statutory rape. 

It would not in California…mistake of age is a valid defense there. 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

Araiza is innocent in the eyes of the law. We'll see what happens with the civil case now.

There is no evidence in the public domain where we can say for sure alleged victim was lying, or telling the truth. Indeed, even those with the evidence have decided it should not go to trial.

There was a big debate in the UK at one point whether those accused of rape or sexual assault should be named whilst investigations are taking place (for other offences, they are not until brought to trial). From Araiza, his career and life has been affected because of an accusation where no charges have been brought against him. Furthermore, thanks to her attorney, the alleged victim has been dragged through the court of public opinion too.

For some, Araiza will always be guilty without any proof. For others, the alleged victim will be a liar, without being able to prove this.

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

And another assault is swept under the rug.  No wonder why women often do not go to the police or school to report an assault. They immediately become the accused not the other way around.   Sad.  

You don’t know that

2 hours ago, uninja said:

Nah more likely is the DA or prosecutor looked at all the available evidence, determined that it a lot of it was circumstantial, would not stand up to scrutiny in a legal setting and/or would get tossed on technicalities by the defense making the body of the case incredibly flimsy. DAs do NOT like bringing stuff to trial they aren't almost damn sure they are going to win, those people get elected because they deliver and their conviction rate is directly tied to their changes at being re-elected. No DA likes getting roasted for having a crappy conviction rate and seemingly wasting taxpayer dollars.

or the prosecutor thru video evidence showed he was not in the building at the time of the assault

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

I was disappointed in the way the Bills handled this (presumption of guilt).  I get why they did what they did, but I'd have preferred for them to be better than that.

And have it hang over them until now?  No, they handled it the best way they could.

• Agree 3

Just now, Doc said:

And have it hang over them until now?  No, they handled it the best way they could.

Like I said, I understand why they took the pragmatic approach and threw the player under the bus.  That doesn't make it right -- it was certainly unjust.

7 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I was disappointed in the way the Bills handled this (presumption of guilt).  I get why they did what they did, but I'd have preferred for them to be better than that.

They didnt cut him cause they thought he was guilty. They cut him cause they wanted him to focus on the trial, and thought that he wouldnt be able to focus on football. 

Thing about it. He technically still was innocent until proven guilty. Because he was so close to this situation, he no longer gets the millionaire job. He gets no jail time, but has to get a regular job like the rest of us.

Edited by wagon127

4 minutes ago, Ta111 said:

“Suspicions” aren’t worth sh**. You can either prove a crime or you can’t. Unfortunately we have a society where you’re guilty before any facts are known. Really sad.

agree 100%.  All I’m saying is, no one really knows what went down.  He might be totally innocent, participated actively in an assault, or anything in between.  It sounds like the DA’s office did their job here.