Jets experiencing a flu outbreak

Rubes

16 minutes ago, cba fan said:

i never get the flu anymore. Have not had since i started taking flu vaccine at least every other year decades ago.

and only people i know who get sick from flu are unvaxxed.

I have never had the flu shot and have had the flu once in my lifetime. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, cba fan said:

i never get the flu anymore. Have not had since i started taking flu vaccine at least every other year decades ago.

and only people i know who get sick from flu are unvaxxed.

I have the flu right NOW! And I got a flu shot. Guess that throws a wrench into your theory.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, teef said:

i had the flu a few years ago and it absolutely rocked me.  i felt wildly bad for about 4-5 days, but it took me another week just to feel better.  i have to image that most of these guys will play, but they may not be anywhere near 100% depending how bad they have it.

One difference is that we peons are left to recover on our own, while pro athletes I'm sure get the best antivirals plus IV therapy to speed their recovery.

My daughter had the flu last year. So did one of her friends, but said friend's mom scheduled her for those IVs from a traveling nurse.  Made a big difference.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MJS said:

I have the flu right NOW! And I got a flu shot. Guess that throws a wrench into your theory.

My wife always gets the flu shot, and she gets the flu about every other year. I very rarely get a flu shot (and never on purpose - long story), and I’ve had the flu once since 1992. 

There! You did it! You made me jinx myself!  😋

Hope you feel better soon! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillyBilliams said:

It's only Wednesday.  They'll be fine and ready for Sunday.

If it's actually influenza, they won't be fine on Sunday.  That said, when most people say "flu" they really mean "the common cold" and yeah of course they'll be 100% by Sunday if it's just a bug.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

My wife always gets the flu shot, and she gets the flu about every other year. I very rarely get a flu shot (and never on purpose - long story), and I’ve had the flu once since 1992. 

There! You did it! You made me jinx myself!  😋

Hope you feel better soon! 

When I had my first kid, back in 2012, I was told to get a flu shot every year by my then wife and I did for 6 years.  Those 6 years, I had strep throat 4 of them and ended up getting the flu the other 2.  Never had the flu or strep before then (that I remember).  I'm sure my parents made me get the shot when I was younger but never did after it was my decision.

I'm not against the flu shot (for others, including my kids) but those were the only times in my life I've ever had strep or the flu is when I got the shot so I skip it now.

Some people just react differently and apparently I'm one of them.  

And I probably jinxed myself also so we are both in for it.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

One difference is that we peons are left to recover on our own, while pro athletes I'm sure get the best antivirals plus IV therapy to speed their recovery.

My daughter had the flu last year. So did one of her friends, but said friend's mom scheduled her for those IVs from a traveling nurse.  Made a big difference.

Oh I completely get it, but viruses can go sideways on you.  I’m sure these guys can handle it far better than 45 year old me, but I’m wishful thinking at this point. 

48 minutes ago, MJS said:

Yeah, lol, not to get into some type of vaccine fight, since i really don't care if people get flu vaxxed or not (I do every year since it's free at my work's fall health fair), but it's typically in the 40-60% effectiveness range depending on the year and strain.  The vaccine can help, but there are obviously going to be many people who are going to catch the flu even if they are vaccinated, just as most people who remain unvaccinated will never catch the flu either.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

When I had my first kid, back in 2012, I was told to get a flu shot every year by my then wife and I did for 6 years.  Those 6 years, I had strep throat 4 of them and ended up getting the flu the other 2.  Never had the flu or strep before then (that I remember).  I'm sure my parents made me get the shot when I was younger but never did after it was my decision.

I'm not against the flu shot (for others, including my kids) but those were the only times in my life I've ever had strep or the flu is when I got the shot so I skip it now.

Some people just react differently and apparently I'm one of them.  

And I probably jinxed myself also so we are both in for it.

LOL.  When I had my first kid, I got sick every year too.  I attributed it to daycares and schools being little germ factories and kids being little plague vectors.

As the kid got older and her and my immune system got tougher (about age 6 or 7 IIRC) I stopped getting sick so much.

I”m told if the kids change schools, it’s “open season” for a new set of bugs but she never did.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Flu is now rampant in lower NY... hopefully this will continue to effect the Jests

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Problem is the 6-7 variations recent shot only covers 3 and they picked the wrong strains as predominant... wtf PS if you are over 65 you can get one with all 7

19 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

LOL.  When I had my first kid, I got sick every year too.  I attributed it to daycares and schools being little germ factories and kids being little plague vectors.

As the kid got older and her and my immune system got tougher (about age 6 or 7 IIRC) I stopped getting sick so much.

I”m told if the kids change schools, it’s “open season” for a new set of bugs but she never did.

Well, that could have been the case.  I had another kid in 2014 and everything stayed the same until 2018 with daycare and school.  They changed schools mid-covid so maybe that probably helped but they have both had strep and the flu since they changed and I'm more than happy just not getting my yearly "this will probably cause you to get sick at some point" shot.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.