Von Miller ACL- Out for Season

thenorthremembers

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Gut wrenching.  We were in better shape at DE last year going into the playoffs.  That’s assuming everyone else stays healthy the last five games.

I would argue that we’re also better at CB. Tre White is someone not a whole lot of people are talking about. Our secondary has got some championship experience with him out. Our D-line is large, fast and we have amazing depth there. 

We’re fine and the team strives in adversity.

Go bills!! 🏆

9 hours ago, hemma said:

Did you bother reading my original post before your little word game assault?

Said ‘not necessarily’.  Try to research those two words when used in combination.  In the meantime, welcome to my ignore lists JA.

I believe the two of you are exploring the difference between “not necessarily” and “most probably.”

• Like (+1) 1

From this, it kind of sounds as though the ACL was not fully torn.

It sounds as though they did a “clean up” procedure to remove torn lateral meniscus, but while they were in there noticed there decided the ACL was injured and wouldn’t hold up?

Edited by Beck Water

2 hours ago, boyst said:

Hyde was considered a JAG while Poyer was a depth guy or someone to fill the roster out until we can draft someone. We developed both of them in Buffalo.  And yes, I've seen AJ play. I think he is a solid depth player who can come in and contribute in the 3rd and 4th quarter.

I'm not trolling. AJ Epenesa isn't Von Miller. He's not Aaron Schoebel, either. He's not Darryl Johnson, too.  He's a guy who at his best can match the OL in the 3rd and 4th quarter a few snaps as rotation.

I watched him a bunch last year and he has a few moves which he improved as time goes on. I'd imagine coaches found his best few strengths and perfected them to make them more potent. This is what you need in a depth player when filling a role. That's what we have done with AJ. There is value there, I promise. 

AJ Epenesa isn't very good. There is no other way to put it. He is a liability against the run and he's very inconsistent with his pass rush. No way am I nor should the Bills coaches be confident he can step it up. I mean come on how many years have we waited for him to come around? Minimum value at best. There's liability there, I promise. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Thank you (+1) 2

There really isn't any sugarcoating this one - it's a huge loss, obviously.

But, our depth IS better than I can remember at any time in Bills history.  We still have a great team, and we still have Josh Allen.  This doesn't take us out of contention.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

AJ Epenesa isn't very good. There is no other way to put it. He is a liability against the run and he's very inconsistent with his pass rush. No way am I nor should the Bills coaches be confident he can step it up. I mean come on how many years have we waited for him to come around? Minimum value at best. There's liability there, I promise. 

I disagree with everything you said about your analysis because I don't think he is being asked to step up. His role isn't changing.

He is going to be doing the same things he did a month ago. Come in for spot time a few snaps every quarter. 

3 minutes ago, boyst said:

I disagree with everything you said about your analysis because I don't think he is being asked to step up. His role isn't changing.

He is going to be doing the same things he did a month ago. Come in for spot time a few snaps every quarter. 

He is a dime a dozen. Nothing special and the Bills busted on picking him. He wasn't drafted in the 2nd round 54th overall to take a few snaps every quarter. Just proves he's not very good.  I hope AJ is gone next year because he brings little to the table and is easily replaceable. Who thinks he's going to step it up or make big plays come playoff time? Not me!  Why would you think that? 

16 minutes ago, boyst said:

With Von gone the whole Dline is going to have to step it up, that includes AJ. It doesn't matter if his role changes or not. Your rationale is invalid. 

No more Thanksgiving games. Sucks of course but there's a ton of young talent and I'm sure he'll still be involved on the sidelines. Rousseau and Epenesa are getting healthy, Shaq did some things last week. Boogie pops up randomly every now and then. I'm not as distraught as I feel I should be.

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

From this, it kind of sounds as though the ACL was not fully torn.

It sounds as though they did a “clean up” procedure to remove torn lateral meniscus, but while they were in there noticed there decided the ACL was injured and wouldn’t hold up?

This team is very conservative whenever it comes to injuries I have no doubt if there was any tear to that ACL they shut him down because he is on a long-term contract with the bills and it’s not just about this year

11 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Yea I agree with this 3 years now, and hasn’t shown much. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don’t ever want to do a contract like this again. This is such a cap killing contract now.

We’re going to feel this one next year.

He’ll be back for the back half/back quarter of the season and the playoffs.  

We still have all our draft picks.  

Please explain how we will “feel this one next year”…  Not much changes aside from not having Von for potentially 10-12 games.  

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

He’ll be back for the back half/back quarter of the season and the playoffs.  

We still have all our draft picks.  

Please explain how we will “feel this one next year”…  Not much changes aside from not having Von for potentially 10-12 games.  

34 years old coming off an ACL. We can’t cut him for 2 more seasons, he’ll miss half of next season. This one is going to hurt. $18 million next year, $21 million the following year. Yikes. That’s a lot of cap space that we can’t do anything about.

This was the absolute worst case scenario with Von Miller signing.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.