Von Miller ACL- Out for Season

thenorthremembers

Just now, finn said:

So will the Bills and Miller agree to an injury settlement? I assume he'll be out a good part of next year, too. 

Von posted an upbeat, positive video about being back next year.

Beane said he expects him back for most of next year.  Also will be back with team this year off the field and rehab in Buffalo.  

Obviously we can conclude … injury settlement. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

It sounds like it wasn't a full tear but there was enough damage to where they felt they had to do the surgery because the doctor told Beane "it wasn't going to hold"...also sounds like recovery time might be less than for a complete ACL tear since they said they are hopeful he can play most of next season, which means it is a shorter timeframe for recovery initially.

It doesn't matter if it's a partial tear, they just have to cut the whole thing out and replace it either way. You can't actually 'repair' an ACL, because they have no blood supply with which to heal. So the recovery will be the same as with a complete tear. 

• Agree 1

Forgive me for being naive, but isn't an injury settlement only done in situations where a player is being released (and typically on a 1-year deal, or in the last year of a deal)?  And also fogive me if there is sarcasm above that I am missing.  I don't think it's something typically used with star players.

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Von posted an upbeat, positive video about being back next year.

Beane said he expects him back for most of next year.  Also will be back with team this year off the field and rehab in Buffalo.  

Obviously we can conclude … injury settlement. 

I’ve been looking for a bright side, so how about this? Obviously we want Von all season long. He was great early this year, and next year we will have him for the back of the schedule and the playoffs, and that’s what we really wanted! 

It’s the best I got at the moment.  🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, skibum said:

It doesn't matter if it's a partial tear, they just have to cut the whole thing out and replace it either way. You can't actually 'repair' an ACL, because they have no blood supply with which to heal. So the recovery will be the same as with a complete tear. 

Most of what you said is true, the whole idea of an ACL, taking in a body does require blood flow. I’ve seen this firsthand.

3 minutes ago, skibum said:

We went thru our son tearing his ACL, and I believe this is accurate. You don’t fix it, you replace it with a graft from a cadaver, your own patella tendon or your hamstring. You can’t just sew it back together. Sucks, I know……

Just now, Augie said:

We went thru our son tearing his ACL, and I believe this is accurate. You don’t fix it, you replace it with a graft from a cadaver, your own patella tendon or your hamstring. You can’t just sew it back together. Sucks, I know……

I have had both of mine rebuilt, but since I'm not a professional athlete, I did not get a cadaver graft. Those cost extra! Ironically, it's the harvesting of your own tendons for spare parts that ends up causing the most problems over the long term. I still can't kneel on my right patella, 20 years later!

Just now, Augie said:

I’ve been looking for a bright side, so how about this? Obviously we want Von all season long. He was great early this year, and next year we will have him for the back of the schedule and the playoffs, and that’s what we really wanted! 

It’s the best I got at the moment.  🤷‍♂️

senor augie I will take your best and add a caveat. 

What a hollywoodesque type  tale it would be in Rousseau , Epaneza Basham Phillips and all the rest of our DL Mans UP to and we win the Super bowl anyway!~!~!!!

the truth is this news makes me feel just ACK sick and want to swear like a sailor. 

to sum it up hermano ******

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Seems an appropriate day...

(movie quote for the non-comedy film buffs)

Your worried about the non-comedy film buffs, but you may have just killed some history buffs.  😋

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

given exam and MRI, I wonder how often an ACL tear is found incidentally at surgery.

I wonder how long it’s been that way. He might have played on it for years and been just fine (see Thomas, Thurman), or it might have gone at the next practice. We’ll never know, but at least it’s fixed now and reduces the risk of missing all of NEXT year. 

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

So, what do you propose they do? 

I propose they welcome him with open arms a few games before the playoffs so he can be a Super Bowl MVP again! 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, balln said:

He doesn’t consistently win as a pass rusher. He has a bull rush. And then shoestring/ diving plays. I’m glad we have him. But he’s not the closer / finisher Von is. 

He’s also got a great inside rip, a push pull, a dip, and a solid swim. Still, it’s gonna take the kid another year to really come into his own as a rusher. Biggest issue is that Groot doesn’t have exceptional bend, because that coupled with his dip or rip could be deadly. Hopefully he improves there over the next year. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.