Von Miller ACL- Out for Season

thenorthremembers

6 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

To beguile you with my mastery of the obvious, before we run to the "next Bill up" or the "the younglings have to fly on their own", please note the sole reason this man was brought in, at 33, for 20 million per, with about 60 million guaranteed was to get this team to a Super Bowl.

...along with himself and not as a cheerleader.

I think this team is great without him and they may still go, but this is literally crushing.

I'll say it again...given the position he plays, his age, and the stress on the lower body getting to the QB this just seemed inevitable.

However, how I would love to see the Bills win a SB without any hired guns to help pull them over the top.

It would be sweet.

GO BILLS!

There is nothing inevitable abut tearing your ACL related to age, position, or how he plays.  That makes no sense.  White tore his in a noncontact injury and Miller tore his with contact.  It's just bad luck.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

Yes and last year our defense and lack of pass rush let us down for a 3rd straight playoff season. Groot & Ed are going to have to do the heavy lifting. 

The playoff game and it’s fateful ending have been well documented , but can’t be pinned on pass rush. Heck they only rushed 3 and probably shouldn’t have even done that. Playoff games are going to be close and that’s why they pay Allen. CIN won by a FG just like the Bills would have had they employed their strategy properly. Last years gameeans nothing to this years and we can’t cry over injuries. Yes step up make plays and secure the #1 seed. That could be the difference. 

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

There is nothing inevitable abut tearing your ACL related to age, position, or how he plays.  That makes no sense.  White tore his in a noncontact injury and Miller tore his with contact.  It's just bad luck.

All things considered, Von has been pretty durable.

Some precaution to get a healthy Von back next season is the smart play.

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I disagree in the sense all of these injuries to some degree or another eventually are "overuse" injuries.  The reason why these were very uncommon back in the days is because players didn't spend all off-season training and working out and running drills, etc.

All of that puts additional stress on these parts of the body.  Like a car tire that only gets so many miles, these parts of the body do the same.  Each person is different and nobody knows for sure how many miles theirs has, but the more you workout and the more additional stress you put on it, the more likely it is at some point to require replacement/repair.

So from the standpoint of nobody knowing when it's going to happen, yes, it's bad luck.  From a standpoint of the injury itself, like anything else, continuous overuse makes it more likely it is going to happen at some point, just don't know what that point is.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

He wont have a choice. Settlements happen every year no matter the size of the contract. Von will not have a choice but to settle on an agreement. THATS how this works.

Wow. That is ridiculous. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

How so?

2023 season: $18.705 million cap hit

2024 season: $21.205 million cap hit

OPTION: Cut Von Miller on June 1, 2025

2025 season: $3.705 million cap hit

2026 season: $3.705 million cap hit

2027 season: $0.0 million cap hit

Trust the process. Brandon Beane knows what he's doing.

There is one downside, if they want to free up money next year, they would have to convert his roster bonus to signing bonus to kick the can down the road further.  So in theory they could free up ~10M of cap space, by converting that to signing bonus and add about 2.6M to the cap every year there after.  So 2024 gets uglier and you pay for it longer down the road.  All doable and at this point probable, you need to add somebody to make up for his presence next year and a #2 WR will have to be paid.  Not to mention Edmunds has to be paid or replaced, though he already has a healthy cap hit, so that’s not going to be a big bump there.

4 minutes ago, Cash said:

What a bummer. Doesn’t mean the quest is over - not even close - but it undeniably lowers our ceiling, and frankly it just sucks. Why can’t we catch an effing break one of these years?????

If they can hang on to the #1 seed that they hold in part due to Vons play @ KC they will have caught a pretty big break. 

13 minutes ago, billybob71 said:

Given his age and all he has already accomplished over his career, wouldn't be surprised at all if he retires, and that may be the best case scenario for the Bills, save some money and move on with another plan

I’d be SHOCKED (and disappointed) if Von walked away from all that money. I don’t see that happening at all. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yes and last year our defense and lack of pass rush let us down for a 3rd straight playoff season. Groot & Ed are going to have to do the heavy lifting. 

That is what good coaching does.  Scheme with what we have.  Whether its blitzing safety's, CB's LB's, we will just have to manufacture pressure.  As long as we have #17 we should be the favorite to win it all.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Do you watch the way a modern edge rusher plays?  That is not a knock on you at all and not a question, because I know you do. I'm just stating that the absolute stress undergone in some of the motions, and even the pivot change of directions, is tremendous.  

I didn't bring up Tre's injury, you did.  I am not saying that they are all the same or even that they happen the same way.  We have seen too many instances, otherwise. I also know the way Von's injury happened didn't occur exactly given my concerns.

However, those were my concerns, especially with a guy as dominating and fast as Von. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Groot will be steady but then there's a big drop off to AJE, Boogie & Shaq. This really sucks.

Yea and now offenses can key in on Oliver as well.  Von was getting doubled alot but I'm optimistic these boys can get it done.

I think Daquan Jones is very underrated piece to this DL

2 hours ago, balln said:

He doesn’t consistently win as a pass rusher. He has a bull rush. And then shoestring/ diving plays. I’m glad we have him. But he’s not the closer / finisher Von is. 

They actually work very well together. Groot needs a DE like Von Miller opposite him to be really effective against the passing game tho. Von was one of three players we couldn’t afford to lose. This one really hurts, but it’s rare anyone wins anything without overcoming adversity. It’s not going to be one player stepping up though, it’ll have to be everyone stepping up and pulling a little more weight. 

That all said, I can see Hughes back in Buffalo this season if released or next. That’s the kind of player we will need to help shore up DE while Von recovers. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.