Von Miller ACL- Out for Season

thenorthremembers

49 minutes ago, Steptide said:

This is probably a stupid question, but are some acl injuries worse than others, or are they basically all the same? 

If it's just the ACL that's damaged, then they are effectively pretty similar. You can have a grade 1 sprain, but even those make the knee less stable, and they basically never heal because the ACL has almost no blood supply. They are also pretty rare, because there is not much difference between the amount of force required to stretch an ACL vs. tear it. A grade 2 partial tear leaves the knee forever sloppy and is liable to blow out sooner or later anyway, possibly taking other ligaments with it. I tried rehabbing one of those once, and it popped four months later. For all but the mildest sprains, it's generally best to just get it repaired right away. The good news is that If the surgery is successful and rehab is done right, then it's darn near good as new. It just takes a while. 

ACL injuries get a lot worse when there is collateral damage in addition to the torn ACL - like a meniscus tear, for example. The meniscus also doesn't heal itself in most scenarios, and surgical options don't really fix it, they just minimize the impact to the extent it's possible. Long term, the meniscus will most likely be a bigger problem for Von.

• Thank you (+1) 2

To beguile you with my mastery of the obvious, before we run to the "next Bill up" or the "the younglings have to fly on their own", please note the sole reason this man was brought in, at 33, for 20 million per, with about 60 million guaranteed was to get this team to a Super Bowl.

...along with himself and not as a cheerleader.

I think this team is great without him and they may still go, but this is literally crushing.

I'll say it again...given the position he plays, his age, and the stress on the lower body getting to the QB this just seemed inevitable.

However, how I would love to see the Bills win a SB without any hired guns to help pull them over the top.

It would be sweet.

GO BILLS!

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Groot will be steady but then there's a big drop off to AJE, Boogie & Shaq. This really sucks.

It does , but they didn’t have Von last year and Hughes wasn’t very effective. It’s a problem that they’ll have to find a way around. 

We were a pretty good defense before the Von acquisition, but he is a closer that comes up big in key moments.

Beane did a good job shoring up the soft middle of that DL, and our DE rotation could be worse.

Next man up and wishing a speedy recovery for Von.

That being said "F" Thanksgiving games - last year Tre this year Von.

11 minutes ago, skibum said:

If it's just the ACL that's damaged, then they are effectively pretty similar. You can have a grade 1 sprain, but even those make the knee less stable, and they basically never heal because the ACL has almost no blood supply. They are also pretty rare, because there is not much difference between the amount of force required to stretch an ACL vs. tear it. A grade 2 partial tear leaves the knee forever sloppy and is liable to blow out sooner or later anyway, possibly taking other ligaments with it. I tried rehabbing one of those once, and it popped four months later. For all but the mildest sprains, it's generally best to just get it repaired right away. The good news is that If the surgery is successful and rehab is done right, then it's darn near good as new. It just takes a while. 

ACL injuries get a lot worse when there is collateral damage in addition to the torn ACL - like a meniscus tear, for example. The meniscus also doesn't heal itself in most scenarios, and surgical options don't really fix it, they just minimize the impact to the extent it's possible. Long term, the meniscus will most likely be a bigger problem for Von.

It sounds like it wasn't a full tear but there was enough damage to where they felt they had to do the surgery because the doctor told Beane "it wasn't going to hold"...also sounds like recovery time might be less than for a complete ACL tear since they said they are hopeful he can play most of next season, which means it is a shorter timeframe for recovery initially.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

4M for a good pass rusher is a bargain.  Ask Justin Houston and Melvin Ingram. The “over the hill” pass rushers that nobody wants are all doing what they’ve always done.  Pressuring the QB.  

The defense failed with Hughes, and was clearly better with Miller. Hughes should not be part of the conversation. Different level of player, and there should be no disagreement about that. To insinuate that we should have kept Hughes instead of signing Miller is …. Not bright.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It does , but they didn’t have Von last year and Hughes wasn’t very effective. It’s a problem that they’ll have to find a way around. 

Yes and last year our defense and lack of pass rush let us down for a 3rd straight playoff season. Groot & Ed are going to have to do the heavy lifting. 

3 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

To beguile you with my mastery of the obvious, before we run to the "next Bill up" or the "the younglings have to fly on their own", please note the sole reason this man was brought in, at 33, for 20 million per, with about 60 million guaranteed was to get this team to a Super Bowl.

...along with himself and not as a cheerleader.

I think this team is great without him and they may still go, but this is literally crushing.

I'll say it again...given the position he plays, his age, and the stress on the lower body getting to the QB this just seemed inevitable.

However, how I would love to see the Bills win a SB without any hired guns to help pull them over the top.

It would be sweet.

GO BILLS!

I agree given his age and his position, Bills took a big big risk but I don't fault them for going for it. Man if Beane coulda had a crystal ball, imagine putting that Von money into OL and more weapons for Josh? oh boy

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.