Von Miller ACL- Out for Season

thenorthremembers

7 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

Well… expectations just went down a bit.. so at least I won’t be as p!ssed IF we don’t get the Lombardi this season.

This blows. At least Tre is back and maybe can contribute to some coverage sacks. 

I swear this organization is truly cursed. 

I'll still be pissed if we dont win it all. This is just another thing for me to agonize over.

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

Not to kick a team when they're down, but....

For a FO that gutted a roster because of "cap hell", this feels a little too familiar.

We are estimated $10M over a $220M cap for 2023. $18M of that is a 34 year old DE with a torn ACL that won't play. 

I think we are in a bit of cap hell, now.

They'll likely slow play Von's recovery even more than Tre's due to age.  So we'll likely have him for Playoffs 2023 and all of 2024.   After that we're basically out of the contract. 

RE: Team set up.  Rousseau, Ed, Settle, Daquan, AJ and Boogie are all on the roster next year.  Is it ideal... nope.. Is it the end of the world... also, nope.   Going to need the young guys to step up because that's who we've got until this time next year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

The Bills are substantially better with Von Miller and Micah Hyde. But they are also better with Tre White back and its burgeoning run game.

The Bills cannot replace Miller or Hyde, but I believe this team is still better than last year's. More experience, better at CB2, DT, OL (if only by a slim margin), at RB, and at WR. They are better everywhere but at Safety (see: Hyde). 

Other than staying healthy, the keys to a Super Bowl run probably depend on:

- Stabilize the CB2 spot (I still think it will be Elam but fine with Rhodes if he doesn't wear down)

- Hamilin improving 

- Consistent production out of DE. It think this will be difficult as we cannot expect Epenesa and Basham to significantly improve. That's why I think Lawson may need to be the X Factor.

- Get a productive Crowder back for the playoffs

- Get "average" consistent play out of Spencer Brown

- Bonus: Dare I say it - sign Odell and get 15 good reps for each playoff game. If not, Davis needs to get to full health and take a substantial step. 

Personally, I think all of the above is possible. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I know this will change within a day or two, but I'm leaning into the "sky is falling" sentiment right now.  It's not even about this year at this point, but the future and the cap.  This f'ing sucks balls, man.  My inner Hudson from Aliens is really taking over right now.

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

at Von's age, this might be a career ender

Gotta think he's done.  We brought him in as a guy to compliment this very talented defense, and make a few game changing plays in the postseason....

Guy has ACL's like old dried up rubber bands... LOL....

Quite a career, its been a pleasure watching over the years, Von. 

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Beast said:

Yeah, we should also not have paid Josh Allen. I mean, he could get hurt!

Serious question, do you think at all before hitting the Submit Reply button?

Bills signed Von Miller so he can "gEt To MahOmes...derrr". Did the Bengals needed a Von Miller when they beat the Chiefs last week and last year's AFCCG?

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

It's not the end of the world, but idk how any Bills fan can be okay with this outside of blind optimism. He was supposed to be their finisher in the playoffs. He's the one type of game changer that could put them over the top.

He taught the others how to finish.  So we hope.  Next man up. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

Not to kick a team when they're down, but....

For a FO that gutted a roster because of "cap hell", this feels a little too familiar.

We are estimated $10M over a $220M cap for 2023. $18M of that is a 34 year old DE with a torn ACL that won't play. 

I think we are in a bit of cap hell, now.

We're not. The Bills can free up something like $45 million in cap space pretty easily next year. Beane knows what he is doing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

They'll likely slow play Von's recovery even more than Tre's due to age.  So we'll likely have him for Playoffs 2023 and all of 2024.   After that we're basically out of the contract. 

RE: Team set up.  Rousseau, Ed, Settle, Daquan, AJ and Boogie are all on the roster next year.  Is it ideal... nope.. Is it the end of the world... also, nope.   Going to need the young guys to step up because that's who we've got until this time next year. 

Agreed. 

At this point I hope even more that they save their cash to keep their own as not to create any more holes. That means a hard pass on OBJ. If he even wants to be here with a sidelined Miller.  I think taking an edge rusher with our first pick is on the table. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.